Trustfire X9 - Work in Progress

I decided to see how a Trustfire X9 would go when driven well. I have a HD2010 and don’t particularly like it so I looked around for other lights with a reasonable diameter reflector and single cell. Ideally a 26650 host would have been better but this one looked pretty good!

I bought it from Fasttech HERE and it arrived in a proper retail box with some cheap li-ion charger which I threw in the bin and a pair of blue Trustfire branded 18650s which I will never use.

I immediately pulled it apart and found that the pill has a big hole down the center of it with a large 32mm diameter MCPCB covering it…

Having a big hole down the middle of the pill wasn’t ideal. So I bought some 25mm diamater copper bar and took it to my mates machine shop (same guy that did the Convoy S2 pill for me). We turned it down on the lathe until it was an interference fit in to the pill. I forgot to take a photo but there is a shoulder about halfway down the inside of the pill so we cut the copper so it sat on that shoulder and was flush with the top. Prior to pressing the copper into the pill I cut a slot down each side of it which made it easier to drill out once the two pieces were together.

Camera focusing on the reflection!!

The pill now weighs about 106gm or 3.75oz so it should pull some heat away!

That is as far as have got as I am waiting on parts to arrive now.

For the emitter I was originally just going to use a Noctigon with a de-domed XM-L2 on it. However the contacts on the 20mm board was going to make it difficult for me to get the reflector as low as I wanted. So I contacted Thrunite and asked if I could buy one of their MCPCBs with an XM-L2 out of the TN31 as it is a 32mm copper board with direct thermal path. They agreed to sell me one and guaranteed me that they will be using a 1A tint on it. This will be absolutely ideal as it will cover the whole pill, keep the contacts far away from the reflector and will allow me to use the existing screw holes. I will be de-doming the 1A emitter as well.

For now the plan is to run it direct drive off of a Sony VTC5. I have just received some 20awg Teflon sleeved, silver plated copper Mil-spec wire from the US which I will be using and while I wait for the emitter to arrive from Thrunite I will be beefing up the springs with some extra solder and copper braid.

Once Led4power starts selling his 5A driver I will buy a bunch of those and use one in this light with the 140% turbo mode active.

The only other part I would like to get is an AR coated lens. So if any of you know where I can source a 54mm x 3mm lens from, I’m listening!

I will update this thread when some more bits arrive.

Cheers,
Tim

Nice work. I'm looking forward how this all gos for you. Theres a 55 x 3mm lens here. Not sure if its any good to you or not.

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1970

LOL, I just spent 2 days digging, compacting, leveling and installing brick pavers. When I saw your pictures of the pill, all I could notice was the brick paver background. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can see you are really going to have a nice light when you are done.

Nice work man!

Thanks guys, can’t wait for the emitter to arrive. I am confident this light will be a great performer

I love my X9, but I’m one of those freaks who’s happy with ~650 lumens in it XD

haha the funny thing is I didn’t even turn this light on before I pulled it apart! So I don’t even know what it is like in standard form!

Damn I wish I had access to a lathe. Nice work.

I must admit having someone who can do lathe work for me opens a lot of doors as far as modding lights goes.

Pinkpanda, I am in Perth as well… Absolutely devo I didn’t see your V10r for sale on CPF earlier. I have been looking for one with trits installed for ages!

Damn. Would’ve been happy to help out a BLF’er in Perth. Are you south of the river? I’ll get out the TK61vn we can signal each other :party:

Sure am south of the river!

stuffed 12xAMC nanjg in mine

Ah very nice I didn’t see that thread! So you are seeing around 4.2A now? Did you use 380mA or 350mA 7135s? Have you done anything else to it since you last posted in that thread?

I am de-doming an XM-L2 U2 1A and hoping to see around 6A+ in DD off the VTC5. I really want led4power to release his driver though. The 140% option on it is very appealing. Have also ordered a few different AR coated lenses to try.

Can’t recall exact numbers but it’s about 4A, I was planning to use 3.04A Qlite but since I only had 350mA regulators at that time I could not upgrade Qlite, had to use regular nanjg 105C that I programmed and added 4 x 350mA regulators… When I did that mod I was not familiar with dedoming so unfortunately I did not do that, i only swapped leds.
Dedomed XM-L2 at 6A will rock in that light :smiley:

Well the emitter finally arrived. The MCPCB is from a TN31 and I bought two of them from Thrunite and had them sent directly to Hank from IOS who added some XM-L2 U2 1A emitters to them (at no extra charge to me!!)

I took to it with my dremel and a carbide bit to open the wire holes out a bit, polished the base and de-domed the emitter, I gave the heatsink another clean as it has been sitting for a while, added some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and screwed it together. It is essentially ready to go now, I am just waiting for the BLF17DD driver to arrive for it!

Looking good. That was nice of Hanks at IOS.

I thought the same! I did buy the bare emitters originally but he offered for me to have them sent there and soldered them on at no extra cost.

I got shipping notification from Mountain Electronics for my BLF17DD drivers yesterday so hopefully not long now!

This is some fine work you're doing here LSX. Beautiful stuff.

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Hi LSX. What was the outcome on your build? Thanks