TS10 aux LED brightness reduction

Very cool mod. I wish I had the patience and time to do this. But the aux low setting on mine seems to do the trick. I wish there was a way to do this mod to only affect the high setting. But frankly, I think when Wurkkos makes a new version of the TS10, they should dial back the high setting by at least 50% or more.

Ideally, I wish Anduril 2.1 would have a new menu for aux whereby a user specified brightness is selectable for low and high modes of the aux emitters. That would be ideal, IMHO.

The aux brightness level is changed very little with this mod. There is already somewhere around 30k ohms in series with the aux LEDs for the low level. I added 5k ohms is series with the aux LEDs all of the time, or about 15%. On the PCB is 100 ohms, which is ridiculously low. The mod does take a bit of time, patience and the right equipment. It terms of the mods others do, this is very simple.

But your idea of adjustable aux in Anduril 2.1 sounds great!

This is something that cannot be done in the firmware. Anduril can select between two levels or off, that’s all.

The “30k resistor” is the pull-up resistor integrated in the microcontroller.

This is all true, but with a board spin and the addition of a digital potentiometer one could adjust the aux level brightness. Is it worth it? Probably not. But it’s fun to think about the what’s possible. Perhaps the microcontroller could have the digital potentiometer built in and then it’s really easy.

I think a single Aux in the middle would produce a more useable beam:

this is a TS10 host mod by zumlin:
(mcpcb is from a FWAA, to allow use of 519a)

Yes, the board would have to support any additional control by the firmware. There seems to be an mcpcb standard in use across multiple brands, whereas aux LED can simply be: OFF, low, high, flash low+high. Adding a 4th mode that allows selection of various levels of intensity would be great. But if that’s too much overhead to make it worthwhile,

Incidentally, the high aux LED mode on the PL47mu doesn’t seem to be as bright as on the TS10. Maybe 30% lower. But then… it’s an array of 16 micro LED’s.

Are the aux LEDs run in series or parallel? I assume series- but it’s hard to say for sure from the previous pics.

I was just thinking if they’re parallel it shouldn’t be too hard to disable two (possibly by a neat and reversible circuit board track cut) and only have one operating in Aux mode.

The Aux LEDs are in parallel. In order to cut the traces one would need to remove the MPCB, which requires unsoldering a few heavy wires. I’ve done this before on another light, but it’s a bit of a PITA. And, you would gain from 3 days of Aux LED on high to 9 days. With the mod I gained months of the Aux LEDs on high. I don’t use them on high, but I do use them in blinking mode, and for this I really like the mod. YMMV.

You would gain nothing by disabling two LEDs. The remaining LED will be brighter, the current stays the same.