Ultrafire X8 UV Mod

You may want to check out Hestbech’s threads if you are interested in amber searching (if you haven’t already seen them):

A lot of conversations on the subject…

Yes indeed, I made him a 400nm C8 flashlight at the time that he apparently succesfully used for amber searching, but this new XM-size Epileds 2800mA led puts out way more light than that one!

Thanks a lot guys :slight_smile: :+1:

#djozz
The project that you mentioned in #3 Host: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1618/10002463/1277400-convoy-m1-diy-edc-led-flashlight-host + driver: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001683/1122302-8-amc7135-4-group-25-modes-led-flashlight-driver-c
…is it not the same and just as good as the one you mention in #8 : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Convoy-M1-Cree-XM-L-U2-1B-2-Group-3-5-Mode-LED-Flashlight/826041552.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.2.sFuk1E&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_2_10037_10017_405_507_10033_10032,searchweb201603_11&btsid=9aa4c4fa-0749-4247-95af-963ed68079bb ??

It’s just that, if the product exceeds a price of DKR 95 = around USD 14.4 then I must also pay import duty of DKR 160 = around USD 24 plus the VAT. But if I buy the host separately here:

Convoy M1 NEUE Version DIY Integrierte Leiter LED Taschenlampe Host Sale - Banggood Deutschland-arrival notice-arrival notice And the driver here: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001683/1122302-8-amc7135-4-group-25-modes-led-flashlight-driver-c
…. Then I will not have to pay import duty or VAT on the products :smiley: :wink: stupid Danish tax - and customs rules :confounded: (It’s because they are from outside the EU)
But if the one in #8 is better together with the 2800ma LED, then I’ll have to pay the xtra money.
Kind regards
Michael Larsen, Denmark

I have a Convoy M2 with a QLITE REV.A 3.04A driver in my “surplus” box, it’s yours if you pay the shipping.

I believe the max amount is DKK 80 before you have to pay.

Michlas never mentioned it (or thought about it) but the m2 has a bit wider beam than the m1 (and the c8 narrower even). So with amber searching what is best?

According to this review of the M2 the M1 has a wider reflector ?

For Amber searching I think it is best, when the light can cover as much beach/ground as possible……and the light must be as evenly distributed as possible instead of being centered / having all the power in the middle … and then be weak into the edge of the beam.( I hope you understod me :smiley: )

Kind regards
Michael L.

You don’t want a thrower…so like I said your best choice would be a tube light, ideally an S2+.
The wider the reflector, the narrowest the hot spot.
You want flood ? chose a small reflector, or better, a TIR optic (though I don’t know how the PMMA of the TIR will react to 400nm UV)

#khas
You’re right. I just read up on it at skat.dk. I must have been lucky as I sometimes bought items that cost around DKR 90. And I’ve always thought that it was DKR 95 excl. freight :smiley: . I have only been taken 1 time , but it was also an item that cost DKR 600 :smiley: lucky me :smiley: Thanks for info :+1:
Kind regards
Michael L.

#khas
3.04A driver …is that not too much/ or not ideal for an 2,8A led emitter?
Kind regards
Michael L.

I think the Convoy M2 will be a good choice then, nice offer, khas!

@X3 :I agree that an S2+ could have the right performance, but it only accepts 16mm diameter ledboards, while the led of the OP is only for sale on a 20mm board. You and I can transfer a led from the 20mm board to a 16mm board in two minutes, but if you don’t have experience with that, it is easy to ruin a led and a board trying it.

#djozz
sounds good…but what about the driver……will it not have any negative effect on the uv light performance or ruin the Led Emitter, because it is 3,04A….and the LED is only 2,8 A ?
Kind regards
Michael Larsen

It’s only a bit more than 10 percent extra, it don’t think it will have a significant negative impact on the life of the LED.

Edit.

I think a have a Nanjing 105C 2.8 A somewhere if you prefer that.

#khas
I will text you an PM….its easier in danish :wink:
Kind regards
Michael Larsen

My bad, I forgot that… anyway, don’t overthink this and go for an M2

:+1:

Regards
Michael L

Hi again,
2800ma UV LED emitter is on the way and I’ve also got khas’s Convoy M2 on its way (I should only pay for shipping :slight_smile: thank you :+1: ) Looking forward to getting it made.
But I’ve come to think of the cheap hosts of the WF501b as I can see that the LED 2800 UV LED emitter also comes in 16mm PCB. I have found this 26.5 mm reflector, which seems to take SMD5050? - is that not right?
I have found this driver
Will all this also work together??
Kind regards
Michael L.,Denmark

The P60 modul you link to , is a complete modul with driver and led, you could swap the emitter to the one you want. I don’t think it’s 2,8 A output though.

If you want to make your own buy the driver from your second link and an empty P60 modul, something like this :
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1605/10003703/1268802-aluminum-orange-peel-reflector-drop-in-module-set

It’s a bit more DIY to make your own, soldring the driver to the pill can be tricky.

Thanks a lot :+1: Yes I have tried that … one of my WF501B….After I had soldered the driver to the pill, one of the wires got loose from the circutboard when I tried to solder the ledstar, and I then tried to solder the driver loose again. I would not come loose agian. Any good tips for that ? :slight_smile:
Kind regards
Michael L.

Here is a video from Old-Lumens :

His Youtube Channel is full of great flashlight modding.

Thanks a lot :+1: :slight_smile: