Uniquefire UF-1405 - A worthy zoomy?

I thought about an mt-g2 aswell, but really want to try a defined xp-l I have laying here.

That’s exactly why I want to try the MT-G2! Haha I have had one sitting here for ages along with a suitable driver but have just been waiting for a good 2x 26650 host to become available.

I think I will just buy one of these anyway and see how it goes. I might be able to bore out the whole centre of the pill and machine down a piece of copper bar to press in there.

If using MT-G2 maybe direct-drive the LED is possible. :stuck_out_tongue:

It will work great with many 26650 batteries, but I would be careful with the Keeppower IMR 4200 mAh, I fear that that combination will lead to well over 10A. It may be the way I go with this light :evil:

I will be using a pair of MNKE IMR 26650s in mine.

I placed the order for mine today and opted for express post so hopefully it doesn’t take long to get here. I have the MT-G2 and driver already here. Will be interesting to see what I can do with the pill. I hate aluminium ones.

Maybe if there is enough people interested someone can build up a copper pill for it. Might be able to open up new driver options that way too. But then your taking a $35 light, adding a $20 pill, say $7.50 for an emitter and star, and $10 on a driver... now you got a $75 zoomie LOL

Actually sounds like a pretty good plan though

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

I got the package in from Fasttech, and they delivered the wrong one! The SKU on the cardbox box is the one I ordered but it contains the Uniquefire UF-1406, the smaller 2x18650 zoomie! I opened a ticket and I'm sure it will be sorted out, but it will be -I fear- a month or so before I actually have the light I ordered

This is what I got, I might as well give some info on this one, it is a hell of a light, but it is just not the UF-1405 :-( :

The flashlight has a nice size, a great build quality: perfect ano, thick aluminium everywhere, ano'ed tail threads, lubed.

A small dissection of the optical part:

Now that is great optics, yeah !! short focal length lens, the diameter in actual use is 47mm! (FYI, UF-T20:32mm), with the head diameter of the flashlight used to the max :-) . The tediously slow focussing goes a bit through the focal plane of the led die, this improves the beam compared to the ugly sharp focus, without loosing throw, nice.

The current on high is plain disappointing: 0.9 A (from 2x CGR18650CG IMR batteries in series), that should translate to less than 2A through the (old gen. XM-L) led. Terrible PWM. I need that awesome BLF 17mm buck driver that is still in developement!!!! Despite the low current XM-L use, the throw is close to 40klux@1meter, promising!

And now, another grrrrrrrrrr....

Me to.

I ordered the 26650 and received the 18650!

Glad I had to wait lol. Hope they straighten it out by the time I order. I imagine the 1405 has the same driver and all as this one though.

Isn't 1.9A perfect for an XP-E2 on Noctogon, though?

It is, it will be an impressive laserbeam B-) .

But apart from the throw number, I have a thing that a certain size light must at least put out a certain amount of light, and this is a sizable light, so the 250 or so lumen that the xpe2 puts out just is not enough, I would like it closer to thousand .

Glad I waited on ordering one.

I'm sorry to hear that, it is very frustrating. I wonder if it is just a mis-labelling or that there's more going on, like lack of stock of the 1405.

While you have the 1406 there anyway, could you measure tail current as well, to see if my unit is on the low side or not?

I can try . I have an old meter somewhere??

wrong one sent to me today also. Fasttech has has a problem with this light. They sent me 1406 instead of a 1405 also. I ordered a 1406 in a different order so I may have two of ’em. First out of hundreds of fasttech orders that was botched.

I received the correct one from Fasttech today. Blinky modes are no bueno, this thing is going to have to get modded one way or another. If you could fit a 17mm driver in there (and that is an “if,” I don’t know yet), you could do a zener modded FET BLFDD 17mm driver and drive an MT-G2. Would probably get pretty hot, but a big MT-G2 zoomie might be worth it.

I’m taking my chances and ordering one of these… Hopefully FT gets this straightened out very quickly.

And with regards to the driver ordeal, I think we should ask ourselves “what would O-L do?”.

I’m going to take a similar approach and try to get some HE2’s running 2p and the XML2 DD. Poor switch…

Guess what a buddy of mine sent me today? The UniqueFire UF1405!

Now what am I gonna do with this bad boy? :smiley: Pretty sure that XM-L has got to go.

Chunky light, big glass aspheric….maybe I should look at making a round aspheric……the easy answer to that one folks is the Luminus SBT-70 with a round die. :slight_smile:

I also just happen to have a brand new MT-G2. And XP-L. And XP-G2. Hmmmmm……

A small stack of BLF17DD drivers on hand as well, curiouser and curiouser…

I’d say try the dedo XP-G2 first at a conservative 5-6 amps J) and get some lux readings for us, then do what is right and put in the MTG2 for yourself. :bigsmile: