Uniquefire UF-1405 - A worthy zoomy?

Im rooting for you djozz!

:beer:

Zoomie revolution! Finally some development in this field. Watching this thread.

I must say it’s a bit disappointing hearing about the issues with these lights whilst mine is still in transit. Will assess it when it arrives and if it’s not up to scratch I might have to look at getting the Jax zoomie and gifting this one or something.

I am seeing this as a host luckily, most issues can be solved whilst modding. Not the big o-ring though, don't have those :-(

I am still planning on putting an MT-G2 in mine, but if its average even as a host I won’t waste my time.

The Jax Z-1 is pricey and comes with smaller lens compared with 1405, but it really does look better made.

I am still considering to buy the 1405. I can bear with all the minor issues but I still don’t have any clue what driver can be used in it.

led4power, does this light focus well when fully-zoomed (maximum throw)?

Unless it is really really bad, the quality of the lens has only minor influence on the spot brightness, nevertheless a perfect image of the led die is of course more appealing ;-)

There can be more than 15% spot brightness difference among same batch of lenses (I measured on lux meter with same emitter). Some of them will have less color aberrations and some of them not, some will be blurrier than other... But I don't mind about little color aberration and blur if they have good KCD numbers. I use it outdoors, not for playing on white wall.

That is very good information, l.i., I would not have expected that (this proves again: actual testing rules! )

Let's hope my unit (if it ever comes ) has a better lens than led4power's then.

(love my white wall )

I will mention that I tested this on premium aspherical flashlights like Dereelight, Tiablo, Crelant. I guess that differences could be larger with no name or cheaper brands aspherical flashlights.

In aspherical flashlight world there are 2 types of lottery that are happening with your each order:

- Aspherical lenses lottery (which can increase decrease throw 15+%)

- Emitter lottery (emitter brightness vary 5-10 or more %)

For ultimate aspheric build hand selection of each component is crucial.

I have a lens on the way from FT that should fit this light. When it arrives, I'll report throw, FL, and image clarity. I purchased it for this light, but I still haven't purchased this light. I have a few back plans for the lens if it doesn't improve the light.

That's the true completely-lost-track-modder-spirit: buying parts for flashlights not even bought :bigsmile:

(confession: I've done that...)

Yeah, that should be one of the levels of flashaholism.

Check my 1st pic;slightly more blurry in reality.I don't have experience with zoomies,but I noticed that best focus depends on distance;for example when I adjust best focus at 10 meters,it's not best on 5 meters or 20meters,so I must readjust it.That doesn't sound good?

And yesterday my switch also jammed,so it's not accidental,it's design flaw.

I also find that best focus zoomed is not at the end of the threaded travel, so it’s loose when properly focused.

I like the look of the light, it’s style. So, I might actually get a UCLp lens for it and glue it in the wide position, then put an MT-G2 in it with a reflector. Will have to see what I can do about that
 dig through some of those parts purchased for lights that never got bought. :wink:

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Yes I’ve seen your picture, but I’m still wondering whether the blurry projected die image is due to the poor lens quality, or it is the inaccurate position of the lens? And yes as you said if the image was adjusted for long distance and when you shine it on a closer wall the image will become blurry as well.

The idea is the same with the reflector - we need to adjust our light to the perfect focusing for further distance, for instance you need to adjust the zooming head until a clear die image is projected at a wall, say 10 meters away (or longer if possible) to get the longest possible throw out of it. To me I think aspherical flashlight is actually much easier for us to judge whether the light is in perfect focusing position compared with reflectored lights, because we can judge it by the projected die image.

GearBest got this light with better price and XM-L2

Very nice.

If someone finds single 18650 version of this lights please report here.

I am not in a mood for machining tube for 1×18650 cell.

Exactly my tought, 1x18650 is ample sufficient to drive a dedomed XP-G2 at 4A !

Mine arrived today and luckily they sent the correct one!! It is not as bad as I was expecting and with some tweaks here and there I think it will be ok. Also my oring just fell to pieces as well when I undid the head.

As with others the switch was playing up so I immediately pulled the tailcap apart to see what I could do. It was a pathetic design, a thin piece of metal just pressed against the threads of the light and no soldered connections anywhere. So I pulled the switch apart and soldered the round tag onto the centre of a 17mm contact board from IOS. I then refitted the switch into its original surround, trimmed the other tag and soldered it to the outer ring of the contact board. I then soldered the spring to it along with some copper braid and then fitted it back into the tailcap along with a different switch boot. To stop the spring making contact with the outer ring I cut the top off of a 14mm switch boot and it fitted around the spring perfectly and acts as a great insulator. The switch now works perfectly and I think was a worthwhile upgrade before I start modding this light properly.