[Updated 2023-02-10] Migration complete

Looks good! Going to take some time getting used to the differences but that will come with a bit of usage.

Thanks for all the hard work you did migrating BLF :grinning:

Hey am I the first poster to the migrated site? :thinking:

a
EDIT:
Okay, I was able to post a single character, so that minor problem is fixed.
Thanks, sb! :yum:

1 Thank

A warm welcome to you!

Looks like that honor goes to

phouton beat me by about an hour, and others beat me to the punch as well.
:face_in_clouds:

Thanks for your hard work with the migration, @sb56637! Iā€™m sure weā€™re getting used to the new system after some time.

In other communities Iā€™ve experienced some changes in social interactions after the migration to discourse. Mostly to the bad side. I donā€™t know why, but suddenly there were many new users, people up and down voted, then they noticed itā€™s easy to hide any post by flagging it (if you have a high enough trust level from many posts). So people started trying to reach a higher trust level as fast as possible to be able to edit and delete their posts, hide other posts and at some point even get some low-level mod permissions!

There are also like buttons. @sb56637 could also enable more feedback buttons like :heart:, :tada:, :rofl: or even the hated :-1:.

2 Thanks

@sb56637 Any chance to restore the old post counter? :slight_smile:

1 Thank

good job SB! Thanks for all the hard work!

I am getting some weird behaviors.
Firefox insists on the old forum most of the time, but went to the new one a couple times. I allowed notifications but not Firefox will only view the old forum.
But it still gets new forum notifications somehow!

Chrome went new forum, then old forum for hours and just now new forum.
I assume it will go back to old forum soon.
What is the DNS number of the new forum so i can come here directly?

The IP address of the new server is 5.161.81.229 right now.

1 Thank

Thanks
That somehow takes me to the old forum in Firefox.

Now i am even more confused.

Hi there, good to see you here, and thanks for the patience and useful feedback!

I understand what you mean about the dynamics that are unique to Discourse. I think there are a few factors contributing to that:

• Most Discourse admins seem to leave the defaults in place, which do tend to promote a sort of gamification model. Iā€™ve disabled most of the messages and visual indicators that might contribute to users going on a power trip. :slight_smile: I also completely hid the permission/trust level indicator so that users donā€™t view their own level or that of others.
  • It is possible to enable more feedback buttons.
  • As soon as I dig out from underneath the million tasks after migration I am going to change the nomenclature relating to the :+1: button to make it refer to ā€œThanksā€, not ā€œLikesā€. It sounds like a rather childish semantic detail, but we definitely will not be encouraging a Reddit like/dislike model here, and I think the default ā€œLikeā€ text is part of that mentality.
4 Thanks

I tried to add it to the ā€œuser cardā€ that pops up when you click on a username. It was surprisingly difficult to do and I gave up for the time being. It canā€™t be impossible though. Itā€™s worth mentioning that the number of threads and replies are counted on the usersā€™ full profile page i.e. Profile - SammysHP - BudgetLightForum.com .

Oh, now I understand! The ā€œx posts in topicā€ actually really means only ā€œpost in this topicā€ and you have to go to the profile page to see the total stats! Thanks, that solves it for me!

1 Thank

Hi there @Bort glad you sort of made it! :nerd_face:

Uggh, the DNS system has been the bane of my existence over the past 24 hoursā€¦ It looks like the change has mostly propagated across the world now:

But there are probably a few ISPs with outdated records still. If youā€™re technically incline you could try switching your DNS provider:

You could also try just changing it only in Chrome or in Firefox.

Cool, i set it up to use Google in Chrome.
I am sure it will settle out but i do hope you can keep the old forum alive in read only mode that can be accessed.

1 Thank

Thanks Bort.

I definitely will for a time until this all settles down.

How does one access it once the new DNS is updated worldwide?

The idea is to not maintain two separate servers and forums. There may be a few issues with the way some specific posts were imported, but I really did try to not lose any information during import, so it shouldnā€™t be necessary to always refer to the old forum once this initial transition if over.

I donā€™t disagree, i just despise this layout so if we can keep the old forum for reference posts in read only mode it would be a nice break to the eyes and brain.

Could you explain a bit more what exactly you donā€™t like about the layout?