Upgraded Thorfire s70s

Will this light take ncr18650b protected? How demanding will it be of those batteries current wise?

Thanks for the link Jerommel Ordered one

I don’t know about the length, but they should at least be capable of 7 amps to be on the safe side.

Find a cell capable of a much higher sustained discharge rates. The ncr18650b was not designed for such abuse.

Can you recommend some good 26650? Some posts said to use protected as this light has the batteries in series. I already placed an order for 2x26650 thorfire batteries on Amazon but the seller seems fake as they are being sold for $5.

The Liitokala 26650’s are a good buy on a great cell.

As bella-headlight mentioned earlier in this thread, here’s the discussion link:

Thank you.

Does anyone know if the the s70s suffers the short runtime on turbo before stepdown that the s70 had?

I have 2 S70 lights. One with both springs bypassed, solder blob, and 18AWG from driver to led. For the price this thing is a monster. But, even more impressive is that I dropped the modded light from chest high straight onto my concrete garage floor. It was like watching it in slow motion. It slammed into the concrete and then bounced back and forth from head to tail about 10 times. When I picked it back up hardly a dent in the fender. The only blemish I found was one of the aluminum edges right around the tailcap button had crushed in slightly. If you didn’t know where to look you would never notice it. So, it may not be the prettiest light to some, but I can attest it can take a good beating.

Yeah same here, I use my S70 every day and it looks good
Big drop on concrete caused a dent in the bezel but it is hard to see since the ano is so thick and did not chipped off.

The L6 draws 5.25A at the tail for 3800lm. I believe the S70 might pull the same or maybe up to 6A (corrected = 5.5A). I don’t know if the S70 can be easily modded like the L6 with a resistor due to the different driver, but tail draw can be increased to 7 or even 9 amps. It’s a nice bump up in brightness. So getting batteries that can do 10A are a smart choice.

it stay turbo for 5 minutes then step down.

I have done temperature monitor on this light and I can say it is excellent heat management . Will post more details tomorrow.

I’m currently using the IMREN 22/60A LMR26650 5500mah batteries in my L6 and it loves them. They are a flat top at 67.21 mm in length

Oh, that’s an improvement over the old models 3 minute timer.

I don”t really see the need for protected cells in this light as long as you use good quality matched cells.
I can”t comment on whether your seller has legit cells or not but I bought Thorfire protected 5000mah 26650 cells about a year ago now.
They tested at about 5000mah & are going strong 12 months on.
I am not 100% sure that they are protected but that has not been an issue as my 26650 lights have LVW/LVP & the S70s also shows cell status via the illuminated mode switch, the cell seems very good.
They were about $11 a pair on a deal on Amazon UK so your seller may well be genuine.
I know that Thorfire cells are generally good, their 3000mah 18650”s are re-wrapped Samsung 30B”s.
If you want really good & cheap 26650”s get Liitokala 26650”s, they are about $5 :+1:

The stock original S70 draws about 5.5A.
One simple solder blob increases output to 5000 lumens :+1:
It was underrated by Thorfire at 3000 lumens when in reality when tested people reported about 3800 lumens stock.
Other than the couple of extra brightness modes & longer turbo (the original S70 handles heat very well not getting hot even after many multiple 3 minute runs on turbo, I think The Miller did 20 one after the other & reported it was only just warm) I do not know if the S70s is just the S70 with the correct lumen rating.
If it is then the solder blob will work :wink:
I will find out when my S70s arrives :slight_smile:

A solder blob/short will work on the L6 as well, but you might smell burning from the driver. A proper resistor is recommended for good reliability. I wonder if the same is true with the S70?

I have no idea Jason but none of the members that have done the solder blob have reported any issues as far as I am aware :slight_smile:
TBH at the best part of 4000 lumens the stock S70 is a very very bright light & I personally could not see the need for increasing output myself.
4000 lumens already has the “wow” factor & the light is bullet proof as stock :+1:
I am really looking forward to getting my S70s to see if it is just the S70 with a correct lumen rating (all be it with a couple of extra brightness modes & longer turbo) or if they really have upped the out put even more as the S70 was well under rated :wink:
The light handles heat very very well so the increased turbo time run will not be a problem nor would more lumens be :+1:
If the S70s is under rated like the S70 it could be closer to 5000 lumens :open_mouth:

Yes during my test for the review I bumped it back to turbo, see review for actual temps (click my username -> my threads and you should be able to find the review :wink:

It runs cooler then the L6 and with the same cell charge state is brighter.

What are you answering yes to? I missed the question.

That the S70 handles heat very very well as The Miller ran his on turbo immediately switching it back to turbo when it stepped down time after time & it only just got warm :+1: