Upgraded Thorfire s70s

I like the Nanjg 105 3 mode spacing.
I think it’s: 10% - 30% - 100%.
with 8x AMC7135 roughly: 1 Watt - 3 Watt - 10 Watt
(hopefully) around: 100 lumen - 300 lumen - 1000 lumen (from LED).

With this XHP70 light we would then look for: 400 lumen - 1200 lumen - 4000 lumen, roughly: 4 watt - 12 Watt - 40 Watt.
But then an extra low 130 lumen / 1.3 Watt mode would be welcome too: 3% - 10% - 30% - 100% in 4 modes.
…plus a hidden moon mode of 1% at around 0.4 watt…?

Hmmm… diving light, magnetic fader, stepless dimming, but without PWM…

……3x 26650 step down, slider operated stepless current regulation…

That’s the ‘etcetera’. :slight_smile:
Big gap between moon and low mode…

Yes that’s right.
You can’t from moon to low though, you have to turn it off with a short click, long click does nothing when in moon mode.

The strobe is very hefty too by the way… :disappointed:

Okay, so you can only access moonlight after turning it on with the rear switch and then long pressing the side switch.

If you turn on the rear switch and go into any other mode then you lose your chance to enter moon?

You have to turn the rear switch off and back on again to go to moon?

I think I understand now.

Jerommel, I have found the “tactical ring” (mainly as anti-roll and attachment for strap) works fine if you flip it, default the sharpest edge is in the direction of the head, fli it and it “bends away” fro the head making it comfortable (this is on the S7 non S, since it is not in.)

u got your light yet Miller?

nno not yet, so am not entirely sure if the ring is the same on the S

My take on this :wink:
The S70s is a light from a proven good quality manufacturer based on an already proven good quality light, namely the S70.
It is a 4000 lumen XHP70 emitter light for $37, what”s not to like ?
It is as bright or brighter (to my eye anyway & mine hasn”t arrived yet for me to test the lumen output so I am going on the pictures & video on this thread) as the L6.
It will maintain turbo for longer than the L6 & high is higher than the L6.
Turbo & high are really the only modes I will use.
I am not interested in moonlight on a big light like this nor really any modes lower than high (that might just be me but that is how I will use it).
Is the L6 a “prettier” light than the S70s, well the L6 in clear anodising is certainly better looking :+1:
In black they are both big hefty lights & as they say “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” so some will like the look of the S70s whilst some won”t.
I am very much a performance over looks type of person so it looks OK to me.
The L6 is $65-$70, I don”t know what discounts are available on that but from the advertised pricing the S70s is the best part of half the cost of the L6.
I am in no way knocking the L6 & if the S70s (I already have an S70) had not become available at the price it did I would have bought an L6, probably in clear & if possible with the illuminated mode switch which has been talked about.
But at $37 the S70s, to me, was a “no brainer”.
My 2 cents anyway :+1:

Your take on what? Which is better? I didnt think that was in question. They are both good. No denying that.

One of your facts is wrong, though. The L6 maintains turbo for longer because it has no step down while the S70s still does.

Another factor between the 2 is the new interface of the S70s. Some may like it, some may not.

Oh, don’t forget that parts are available for the L6, but not for the S70. That’s important for some, but not everyone.

I don”t know what all the arguing is about.
I didn”t say either was better than the other & said I am not knocking the L6.
I said that at the price ths S70s was a no brainer as far as I am concerned.
I am entitled to my opinion.
Yes the S70s has turbo kick down where as the L6 doesn”t but you can”t actually keep the L6 in turbo for longer than the S70s though can you as it becomes to hot before the S70s step down kicks in.
There have been several temp graphs posted showing the L6 gets a lot hotter a lot quicker than the S70s.
I am not here to argue, I just gave my opinion :wink:

You lost me. What’s going on? Where is an arguement?

Please tell me who is arguing and what they are arguing about.

If I am involved, I will clear things up quickly. I don’t want there to be any misunderstandings.

Those are not my numbers. The L6 user refers to unknown00101 in his review:

Review: Convoy L6 XHP-70 (2x 26650/18650)

Do you have any indication that zeremefico’s numbers from his home-made gadget are credible while unknown00101’s are not?

Yes, I believe zeremefico’s numbers are accurate and unknown00101’s are not. The explanation is that unkown00101 only measured turbo with his lux meter and then “interpreted” the other 3 levels based on tail cap amp draws.

Zeremefico on the other hand, measured all levels on both lights at the same time and in the same measuring rig. So this is a direct, apples to apples comparison.

Even if you ignore actual lumen numbers (in case his lux meter is not accurate, but still repeatable) you can still do a direct comparison between the 2 lights levels.

Well just had a knock at the door & look what has arrived (ordered 22nd February so 17 days after ordering) :slight_smile:

I have to go out shortly for the rest of the day but hopefully tomorrow I will be able to take some readings of the S70s & compare them with my S70.
Also a few beam shots if I get a chance :+1:

I didn’t get my light that I bougvht from Aliexpress… it was shipped and signed somewhere in TX, contacted them and they willing to refund me… I really wanted the light, I guess I’ll try my luck with Amazon then :person_facepalming:

I will do some lumen readings with my light tube which I have found to be pretty accurate

Do given Tech Specs change, like whether in full moon?

Nice BH!

What? Can you rephrase the question please?

That’s nice looking. I need to build one myself, something that will read the same regardless of the reflector size and shape.

Yes Jason it certainly seems to be pretty accurate & more importantly (for me) repeatable.
The inside is painted matt white & no light enters other than that from the light being tested.
I make up individual inserts for each light head to ensure a very good fit.
If I am doing a long run I also put a little fan at the side to help cooling a little.
It shows within 5% of manufacturer claims on known lumen lights & also agrees well with other members set ups that are better than mine.
For instance it showed 3860 lumens for my S70 when other members were reporting about 3800 lumens & my ANSI rated 1000 lumens lights show between 950-1050 lumens so it is plenty accurate for my needs which really are to measure output improvements after mods.
It only cost me about $12 for the pipe & rubber blanking cap, a few dollars for the foam inserts, plus the meter which was about $12-15 iirc so around $30 all in :+1:

Do you have to use a set multiplier or divider number on the lux meter results to calibrate it or do the lux meter numbers come out accurate on its own?