US - Defiant "Super Thrower" 3C (New Model - +/-64mm Head XM-L) - Get To Home Depot Now!

hey Jim, I think he owes us all mileage for trips to HD and time spent searching this monster thread he started :wink: -Rick

For me, mileage wasn’t so bad. I live a couple of miles from an HD. But, the searching (multiple trips to HD to find someone who knew where these things were, AND searching this thread), well, that’s significant :)…

P.S. Can anyone confirm that that “A8” I linked is the right one? I really hope so, because it’s on it’s way to me from China :(…

Yes, that's the correct A8 and I believe that's a reputable seller.

-Garry

It occurred to me that I wasn’t 100% sure :), so thanks! It apparently still hasn’t departed from HK yet…

Jim

Thanks. I think Gords posted a pic with the A8 body screwed into the finned section and the A8 head on top of the DST switch section. Was hoping to confirm that approach is good.

I just mod’d one of mine with an XML2/T6/3C LED on a sinkpad and the 3.04A Qlite driver from International Outdoor and the coated lens.

I set up the driver with the 4th star (20ma, 2, 25, 100%):

20ma: 3.5L 4200K
2%: 13.6L 4560K
25%: 165L 4800K
100%: 500L 4830K

The three C cells can’t supply enough current to do 3.04A. With it connected to a bench supply set to 4.0V it starts out around 670 lumens and falls to 630 lumens after an hour… around 5% sag, not too shabby! The stock head with the coated lens started around 500 lumens. The head temperature rose 30 degrees C to 55C. I am waiting on my A8’s to scavenge the body. Also, it looks like the output of those Qlite drivers has some small hiccups in their output…

I just joined forum and just purchased my 2 HD Super throwers and wanted to talk about finding them in the store- still lost like the Ark from Indiana Jones and this is midway through April. Anyway, I originally bought the boat anchor Defiant sells that takes D batteries but decided to take back because of this forum and this post specifically discussing super thrower.
At my local Home Depot the lights were still “no home”. Two employees found them fairly quickly though. Just relaying what to look for if you go searching your specific HD. It is a BIG box these are in, like 3 or 4 feet tall by 2 1/2 feet wide. It is a wing cap??? display but was still hidden away on top of pallet racking. It was in flashlight aisle above where the store used to have flashlights but they have relocated items and where located in store- so they were sort of misplaced now. The box in the rack was supposed to be out in February but was still in closed box and full quantity. The box is pretty non-descript/generic but did have sku and description. It is just hard to read description or sku from ground. The box- if your store still shows 35 for quantity- is going to be on top shelf somewhere due to size. It seems like most Columbus, OH stores have inventory.
I could theoretically go buy them all at my HD and ship them out to people that cannot locate for cost +tax and shipping in USA if people are that desperate (and I won’t rape you on shipping or anything like that). I will try to make sure my profile gets some more accurate info just in case. I used to sell stuff on eBay but quit- but just for seller ratings for comfort or peace of mind- user ID was bnb71999. Should still have ratings, have not done for long time. Anyway, good luck at your store and this is a nice light, even in stock form.

I guess you will need to PM if you really need me to ship out a flashlight as it seems the amount of info viewable is limited in my profile.

Welcome 2postcomment! Sure hope you don't live up to your name! :) Awfully kind of you to offer this service to others!

-Garry

Welcome to the forum 2postcomment. Very nice way to start out. You bought a great light.

Something like this might be the next thing I try, after I get the A8 that I bought (man, this waiting is killing me :(!). Do you have a mod thread for what you did (for newbies, like me)?

The HD that I bought my 2 lights in January has only sold an additional 7 lights since. The display is in full view, and I don’t think it is being restocked. Every time I go into that store I check out the display. At some point I expect they will
go on clearance. Hopefully I can catch it right, and pounce!

Ha, I’ve been doing the same thing. I stop in about 2 twice a week.

Man, we all really “gotta get a life” :)!

Nope, it was a simple mod. Replace the star with the XML2 mounted on a sinkpad (note, you have to grind off the tips on the notches in the star to get it to fit).

I used the existing “driver” as a contact board and stripped the components off. I wired the Qlite to that board and the LED with 20 ga silicone wire (overkill) and stuffed the driver into the pill. I did put a layer of kapton tape into the pill to make sure it could not short to anything.

I didn’t use an a8 body, I’m keeping my blf a8 as is. I did find a cheap a8 clone on ebay that fits, but is a copper colour, that is the photo I posted.

You can screw the tube into the sideswitch or straight into the head (obviously if you use the sideswitch you’ll have two switches).

At some point I intend to fit an ld29 3 - 8.4v driver, xm-l 4c and turn it into a nice 2 x 18650/3c light but mine will be staying long, I do like a large traditional sized light as much as I appreciate my small edc sized lights.

Gords,

Do you have an ebay link for that A8 clone?

Here ya go Jim: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1200-Lumens-CREE-LED-XM-L-T6-Bright-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-18650-26650-EP98-/121060597142?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item1c2fc61d96

-Garry

The CityCat 26650 light's tube also works, and is a much better color match to the anodizing - but requires one to remove the ano from the upper threads.

Hi,

Do you have a link for that?

Also, is there ANY source for any light that would work for this (tube) that is CONUS and not overseas (from the U.S.)? I have one coming in from ebay purchase, but it’s slowly doing so….