US - Defiant "Super Thrower" 3C (New Model - +/-64mm Head XM-L) - Get To Home Depot Now!

?checked post 95 and it was Texaspyros output tests.Are you now just trying to get this monster of yours up to 1000 responses?LOL

Sorry, fixed the post above now.

-Garry

Just saw these in the local HD today. With the wife, so restraint was at a maximum and I did not take one home with me. Just wanted to bump the thread to my Canuck brethren to let them know that for $24.99 CDN they can have one too.

(will be returning in solo stealth mode to pick one up at a later date……)

It took 3 days, but I read the whole thread. Ran out last night and grabbed 2. I don't know why you all have so much trouble finding them, right there in the middle of the wet-dry vacs, where else?

Welcome GI!What store in NY did you find them at?-Rick

Farmingdale. They had 3 cases minus ~3-4 units. About 3 of the 3D models. They also have a lot of a 5C model I haven't seen mentioned. Maybe I just don't remember, it's a looong thread. Small head, probably not of much interest here. Display is 2 aisles over from the 3C's. What a way to run a store, lol.

Yeah, it has been mentioned already that they are available in Canada. :slight_smile:

The silly thing about buying them is that they can be returned at any time for any reason forever .I was buying some x-mas sale lights and thought ...that's not something you get from a chinese vendor .

I probably would never return them but it's nice to not have to worry if you want to .it makes buying stuff easier .

So I'm jonesing for a thrower (even though I have some compact aspherics), so I was looking at the K40 and then the Convoy L2. I forgot this thing was sitting under my bed ever since I moved into my new house, so I want to give it a shot before dropping any more money.

Without reading back through the entire thread, does anyone know what flashlight body will fit this to do a single cell setup? I have a lathe, but it's going to be quite a while until I get that thing spinning up (too many house projects).

I'm also receiving some XM-L2's and a XP-G2 on Noctigon boards. What have the results been with anyone putting in an XP-G2, or is this reflector more suited to the XM-L?

Thanks guys :)

The A8 body fits, but the A8s are kind of expensive, so A8 “clones” from Ebay or elsewhere are cheaper.

I went on a buying binge of 26650 body lights on Ebay a couple of weeks ago, and these are the ones I found that fit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290914272289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This one was too nice, so I didn’t want to use it for my short DST:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160923449468?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This one works well, because it’s also a black body, plus has a clip (and a pretty useless lanyard unless you have tiny hands):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261202122735?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

My conclusion was that almost any single-26650, non-zoom body seems to work (some work, but threading is not exactly right).

Also, BTW, those bodies also work with the current FandyFire STL-V6 to make a short STL-V6, so they’re kind of “dual-purpose” :)….

I just thought about what i will spend my 200 dollar birthday cash on. the DSTs’ sell for $ 19.99 now at the local HD, and had a build in mind for using 4 heads from the Defiant, but with 200 bucks, i can pick up 7 of them, and build a custom thrower with 7 of the heads on a machined new body/plate using either 4 to 6 - 26650’s in parallel battery pack… the ideas are endless when i have my own machine mill & lathe. I have been pondering on building a real super thrower, maybe a secret “weapon” for the planned upcoming BeamShot BBQ meet here in Southern Ontario.

Sounds orsm. Can I watch?

Wow. If you do, please document. Sounds great.

Anyone know what the original emitter is in a stock DST? Also, what’s the size/diameter of the stock driver PCB?

Finally, is there a good replacement driver for this which will run off of 3xC alkalines?

Sorry for the backwards questions: My son just picked one up and thinking to suggest to mod it, but he wants to keep it on alkalines, so I’m looking for a quickie mod if possible.

Thanks,
Jim

Why replace the driver? You need modes? I believe driver diameter is listed early on in this thread (Within first 3 pages - if you use the standard 50 posts per page). Not sure on emitter bin.

-Garry

This light rang up at $16.98 at my HD, even though the sign still says $22.97

Yes, he wants modes.

I was hoping to do a quicky mod while he was here.

Per your suggestion, I found a post on the thread that said it was a 20mm driver, and I have an IOS LD-2C and was hoping to use that, but I just checked, and it’s only doing 1.45 amps on high emitter current with 3 x C alkalines, so I don’t think I’ll do that :(.

I don’t think I have any other 20mm drivers though, so this probably won’t happen. Darn!

Of course YOU get a deal on the Defiant Super Thrower! I think you're one of those people that could fall in a pile of crap and come out smelling like roses! I envy you!

Perhaps I need to do a price check at my local HD. Last I saw stock was dwindling to about 8 to 10 and were still listed at $22.97.

-Garry

Garry,

Check they’re website. They’re showing up there as $16.98 now for me.

I thiyou it would be best to use a driver which is direct-drive on high. Doesn't FT sell one that is two mode?

-Garry