US - Defiant "Super Thrower" 3C (New Model - +/-64mm Head XM-L) - Get To Home Depot Now!

AR lens is the first thing on my to do list… the plastic lens came with a bunch of scratches on it. Ordering one now!

Edit: Contemplating getting some Tenergy Centura NiMH C’s, after I use up my surplus of my alkaline C’s.

Edit: A few posts saying 62mm, and a few saying 64mm… I’m guessing the 64mm is the correct size?

While 64 might work for plastic, it will be too tight for glass. Go with 62. It might be a bit on the small side but it won’t get chipped putting it in.

This is according to measurements with my old slide caliper. Anyone actually put a 64mm glass lens in one of these?

The one from CNqualitygoods drops right in.

I thought that would be an issue too DBCstm, but it does drop right it in.

I had that misconception because I had to force out the plastic lens. Then I measured it instead of the head. The plastic lens is most likely not true round and I probably measured a narrow side.

I’m currently having issues removing the plastic lens. There’s a small little plastic tab on the bezel threads above it, I don’t see a an o-ring or anything. Think ill leave it until the glass gets here.

Just remove the bezel of course and then push out toward the edges of the lens forcibly with your fingers. It should pop right out the front of the head without any damage.

The edge isn't perpendicular to the face, the bezel face is 1 to 1.5mm smaller than the inner face, so the lens wedges itself in against the threads. With the bezel off just push it in with your thumbs.

Yep, take the head off first, remove the bezel, and push the reflector out from the bottom. The O-Ring is in a groove in the bezel itself. I wonder if this is completely efficient as it seems to me that water could come in the threads and seep in around the edge of the lens, bypassing the o-ring.

I just put an XM-L T5 De-domed in mine, after robbing the XM-L2 T6 for another build. Has the old fashioned incan light color, like a high end incan, and is pulling some 3.9A.

Awesome, a little bit more force pushing on the lens and it popped right out of there. Now I just have to figure out what I’m doing with the emitter and driver.

I read over a thousand posts on this light without ever thinking of buying it. Then I heard they were on sale so I stopped at the local HD and walked out with the last one they had for $16.98! :slight_smile: It’s a thrower alright. Not as good as my T13, but it’s only pulling 1.8 amps. Properly driven and dedomed this thing is gonna reach way out there!

I have received these ansmann batteries from ru.nkon.nl to test with Defiant Super Thrower.

These batteries are LSD, and to my surprise they also increased current on my DST.
3x Eneloop AA with C adapters, the current draw at tailcap was about 1.8A,
With these batteries I have measured over 3A with stok driver and led.

Pictures of the batteries are below:

Has anyone found another source for glass or high-quality plastic lenses for the HD ST? I searched BLF and really didn’t find anything since the super 64mm Leica lenses. I have a couple of those but need at least two nice lenses for two more super throwers. Don’t see anything on flea bay. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Perfect fit.

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1970

+1, got mine relatively quick from cnqg too. Fits right in the stock DST and looks purty to boot. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the super fast response.

>>>>>>>>>+1, got mine relatively quick from cnqg too. Fits right in the stock DST and looks purty to boot.

Those look PERFECT. I found that the glass leica lens really makes quite a diff with metered output. Thanks again! Ordering right now. Price is great also.

Hah…just found out I had one of these…came by it “accidentally”

Found this at my brother in laws old place…possibly moving there and found it in one of the rooms stuck up on a shelf

Contemplating doing one of a few things

A. Building a TexasPyro 20mm Nanjg style driver with 8*7135 380mA chips w/ STAR V1.1 firmware, then getting some of that two sided PCB board from radio shack and building a 18650x3 parallel battery assembly (might even try to figure out a way to wire in 3x of those small Li Ion 1A charger boards for balancing and charging capability) for a daily driver type configuration
(anyone know where I can get that flat ribbon wire they use to solder in the protection circuits on 18650’s?)

B. Getting a MT-G2 on a copper 20mm sinkpad or noctogon and seeing if it can run 3x 26650 direct drive [switch might not be able to handle the current though)] (maybe one of the experts can chime in on this)hmmm…they have MT-G2 in 6, 9 and 36vdc options…but nowhere to be found 9V…fooey

And this thread lives on, Garry!

In this now relatively unique case, I think it would be a shame to not use a great reflector for what it was intended - maybe even mod to focus it better … the MTG2 is so floody I’d do that in a different host.

Yeah, I am partial to “daily drivers” not hot rods…

I may end up going ahead and just building a Texas Pyro 20mm then and then focus my attention on trying to build a 3x parallel 18650 Li Ion battery pack w/ balanced external charging (since there has to be a sleeve due to it being a 26650 sized battery tube)

Thinking about picking this flashlight up, so how many have switched to the glass lens?