USB "charger doctor" (volt+current display)

I have this load resistor and I want to use it with the charger doctor to discharge a powerbank and measure how many mah it puts out.
But I measure a temp of 160 degrees celcius after only a couple of minutes. I have now mounted it on a piece of computer heatsink and used some arctic silver, but the heat isn’t transfered fast enough to the board and therefor the heatsink isn’t that effective. If I let a small computer fan blow at it the temp drops to 130/140 (temps measured with an IR meter so could be somewhat off)

I assume these temps are normal, but I’m wondering, is it safe to let it run for extended periods of time?

Looks interesting Hank but I'm really getting beyond the effort of trying to work out what the hell they are talking about with these specs sometimes.

I still fail to understand why so few in China have worked out the importance of making some attempt to translate properly when trying to sell to an english speaking audience.

As an example, we get little gems like these:

Many times the cumulative capacity, the charging time.
Ultra low current detecting resistor is effective in reducing pressure drop.
Output is automatically cut off judgment device is filled, to avoid excessive charging the hidden trouble of safety.

Perhaps deciphering these Chinese puzzles is supposed to be half the fun!

Got the OLE version from your link. Free shipping in 7 days. Yes, no case so slipped some clear heat shrink over it. I like the ones that show capacity!

Pretty cool….I got one with a clear cover had a push button and will count up the mAh it outputs, yeah the OLED one is pretty sweet

Not that the other types don’t have their own merit for use :wink:

Awesome video!

I have just ordered this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361006461953
Oiled version with cover.
I made an offer of 8$ and the seller accepted so it is faily cheap, maybe you can squeeze the price even a bit more…

I mentioned to Warhawk that I like the different ones that show capacity for USB battery packs and phones. Yours has the case, nice find. I liked the one from bangood but looking elsewhere.

and the numerical specs look good if indeed accurate for 12vdc auto use, no 5vdc may be a deal breaker for some. The Engrish looks like google translations where syntax gets mangled.

was thinking about ordering this one to test capacity. http://www.dx.com/p/lcd-display-usb-power-charger-data-transmit-current-voltage-tester-capacity-tester-white-315314#.U-F5wGOc6Ul

How accurate you think it would be with loss and stuff?

Also would i have to convert it with what voltage the battery operates at?

I didn’t ordered this one because the cable looks really thin.

I got this one…wire is thin but I have pulled over an amp thru it, what is nice, push button and 10 position accumulative mAh counter…as it charges your device it will display the mAh that has passed thru it to the device being charge
(hold the button down for about 5 seconds, changes to the next number and resets mAh back to 0 )

Accuracy I don’t know, but on my samsung s4 charger (rated for 2A) I got 2.2A a lot of other 2a chargers got 2A or around that number. So it is able to pull that

This is a nice price for the cable version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131200962909

The advantage of the cable is that the orientation of the installed USB socket does not matter. USB sockets can have an orientation of 12:00, 3:00 or 6:00 o'clock. And there may be limited space around the socket. I'll give it a try.

Bought an OLED version with transparent blue plastic shell version from an EBAY seller in china (http://www.ebay.com/itm/361006461953).

I was happy it arrived so quickly, but I was disappointed to find that while it passes the data connection (under some circumstances) it doesn’t work at all (no charging, no data connection) with iOS devices with the original Apple supplied cables and a variety of power sources (Mac laptop, various USB power banks, 10W iPad power brick)

Some pix…

Maybe the data pins just need different resistance?

Perhaps, but I thought it would just pass-through.

I contacted the seller. It sounds like I may have received a dud. They are sending a replacement that they’ve tested with a range of iOS devices.

I got the one sans case which works fine with iPhone 5 using new digital apple cable and ancient ipod with old 30pin cable. I was mainly interested in checking capacity and voltage sag between my chargers and such. I have old white MB (2007) so will test it when time permits. iPhone 5 capacity showed 1360 out of rated 1400mah so I’m satisfied. Also works great on my $4 Xtar MC1 for checking charge rate and capacity on the cheap.

Thanks for the report. I’m pretty sure the one I received is a bit hinky. I borrowed an iPad Mini to test with, since the product listing shows it working with a lightning device (an iPhone 5 or 5s). Mine didn’t work with that either. I’ll probably have the new one by next week (shipping was nice and fast the first time).

I’m kind of wishing I’d gone for the case-less version. The construction with the case is a bit flimsy and it doesn’t have the button to flip the display.

The replacement oled meter in a blue plastic case came today from axeprice.

It is much better than the last, USB data pass-through works when used between iOS devices and a computer. When connected to my Tomo V8-4 powerbank the device recognizes that there is a charger attatched and draws substantial (but less than max) current, strangely, the powerbank doesn’t seem to notice and powers itself down. I think the issue, in this case, is strangeness with the powerbank itself. It shows similar behavior with a dummy load whether attached directly, or through the meter…

not sure if posted yet

This one retains the mAh count, has 0-9 position

nice price! linked to ebay a few posts up :wink:

i bought the oled version with case… an interesting thing about it is that it is reversible, in that you can use either female/male end for power input. could be useful if you have a limited array of usb adapters lying around