USPS Disappearing Copper SinkPads

Yes, from the group buy. And i never got a refund, but i think it is ok, if it wasn’t up to his fault.

i don’t know the guy or ever deal anything from him… but give the guy some chance to explain…
some of us just can’t be online ( especially on the BLF 24/7), we had other things to do too…
maybe a poor package handling, but it shows that he did ship it.
i lost my package to fasttech’s miami office… even i had the receipt… but since it’s uninsure, USPS pretty much just said… oops, we lost your package… we don’t know where it is now…. sorry :Sp
anyway… whenever you buy something, even through reputed dealer… things still can go wrong with the shipping due to other reckless employees ( or thieves from USPS)
let’s just hope he’ll take some loss and resend it back, that will satisfy everybody and he learned a lesson about handling.

I think on this forum, we are generally too nice. Always giving people benefit of the doubt. But nitro has had issues before. There is not much to explain. He charged everyone 4 dollars for shipping saying it was for gas/bubble mailers/out of state tracking. In the end, he shipped it all at once, saving himself gas while charging us for it. On top of that, no tracking and no bubble mailers. I don’t think that is right. People lost their orders because of the packaging. On top of that because it took him a few weeks to ship out packages, a lot of people are no longer under the paypal buyer’s protection.

However, I do agree he has time to make it right with those that did lose their orders. I just want to point out, there already is a problem. What happens next is up to nitro.

Guys I do appreciate all the help. Their maybe some hope here.
I went to the post office today. Basically from what I was told is that when nitro handed the envelope to the postal worker he should have told nitro that their would be a 20 cents hand sort fee added to the postage. If he did not then USPS may bare some blame. If he did charge the 20 cents fee then this envelope obviously did not get hand sorted so they may still bare some blame. But the shipper has to file the claim, I will leave the envelope at my post office unopened so that they can verify the claim with the ohio post office. I have PM’ed nitro and will try to work this out with him.
Like I said before in this thread, I do think they could have been shipped in something a little better, like a bubble envelope but I saw the blame more towards the postal service for not saying something if they felt like their might be a problem. They took the money and envelope without care knowing what was possibly going to happen. Its very common problem.
Thanks rojos for the info, it was very helpful.

The $4 shipping covers gas,bubble mailers ect…. It’s $4 no matter how many u buy

For out of state members it has to be tracked because I’m not dealing with lost packages or they can agree to a buyers agreement on out of state shipping

How in the world can you blame the post office? Like a bubble envelope? You all paid $4 for a bubble envelope and tracking. He shipped it in a $0.04 #10 envelope with $0.86 untracked regular letter postage. Plus he didn't ship them out in order of first come, first serve as he promised he would, but held them all for weeks until he "packaged" all orders so he could take them all to the post office in one trip to save himself more money from the pile he made off of everyone's $4. I'm all for giving someone the benefit of the doubt but making excuses for this is simply amazing.

I know I didn't buy any of these so technically I have nothing to gripe about but I cannot stand by and watch fellow members be taken advantage of by someone's shady practices. I've said my peace and will now depart this thread. Make excuses for how he handled this or hold him accountable, I don't care. I know I was leary of this whole thing from the start and feel my suspicions have been proven accurate. I will not deal with him in the future and will encourage others to do the same much as Scaru tried when this whole thing started.

I do sincerely hope all of those with issues with this sinkpad buy get them sorted out to their satisfaction. That is really all that matters in the end. :)

Johnnymac, I’am not trying to defend him. When he said those words about bubble wrap envelopes he should have lived up to them. That is most definitely his fault, total agree and I was charged as such. I can do nothing about that now neither can he.
Nitro did ship them not in what he said he would but in a regular envelope. Is this unapproved packing by USPS, No. It should have been delivered and undamaged. But the postal worker should have informed nitro a hand sort fee will be charged of 20 cents and from what I gather it is his job to do so. Then the envelope does not go through the sinkpad eating sorting machine.
If you put a quarter in a envelope and go to the post office. You pay for that envelope (with the quarter inside) to be shipped to its destination undamaged. The proper handling and charge is assessed by the post office. You pay them to delivery it with the quarter inside. If they did not tell you it will have to be hand sorted and a 20 cent charge added then I can see where the blame may lie if they approved the envelope for shipping. It’s their job to assess the package or envelope for delivery and charge you accordingly.
Johnnymac this is something you said. XML/XPG 16mm sinkpads
Johnnymac no flame intended :bigsmile: I like you, just making a point, after all I’m the one with the invisible sinkpads.
We all make mistakes and sometimes don’t do exactly what we said we would, it’s what makes us human. And I totally agree they should have been shipped in exactly what he said they would ship in. The postal worker should have told nitro he would have to charge a 20 cent hand sort fee.
Nitro’s having to pay for his words in time and money.

If vestureofblood sells 100pcs at $1.49 for profit then of course the $2.5 had profit in it. Vestureofblood bought the boards himself and did not participate in a group buy for a low price.

I say speculation because scaru posted at some point about the cost being half if we went with sinkpad’s logo. However, nitro did have to pay some other fees I think? Not entirely sure. (I do personally think he’s making money though)

Glad to see nitro seems to be making things right though. Hope everyone gets the sinkpads they paid for. As Johnnymac said, that is the main thing that matters.

The rules say you're not supposed to ship pressurized fuel via air mail. You do and the plane blows up. Is it your fault for ignoring the rules and expecting the postal service to do it for you, or USPS for not checking out the contents of every envelope and parcel?

I think you know which side I fall on. I doubt I could tell the difference between funny shaped copper and funny shaped cardboard through an envelope. Funny shaped copper will absolutely shred an envelope instead of bending and conforming like funny shaped cardboard. I would have given the shipper the benefit of the doubt. In this case, the shipper didn't deserve it. Again.

The bottom line is you got scammed. Whether or not nitro was malicious, you still got scammed.

Well, if they tried to ruin it through a envelope sorting machine then I would say they deserved it. They should have assessed the 20 cent fee for hand sorting.
The contents doesn’t have anything to do with it besides it being non flexible and thick. Which they are suppose to assess the 20 cent fee and hand sort. Nitro didn’t take just my envelope to the post office and mail it. He took 50 or so envelopes all at the same time. They know or should know what happens to envelopes with something non flexible and thick in a envelope. They do know or there would not be a 20 cent hand sort fee. My post office acted to me like it was obvious and knew someone was in trouble. I do not know that, its just the impression I got.
Most all the post that I read about this told me that the post office would simply say “I’m Sorry, there’s nothing we can do”.
That doesn’t seem to be the case here. It seems that the postal worker should have told nitro (their rules) that a 20 cent hand sort fee would apply to each envelope. I do not know if it is policy to tell the shipper that the fee will apply, but my post office acted like it. I should have ask.
To me its like them having a service to ship eggs with a extra fee, that works very well. You bring in a egg and want it shipped, they simple throw a sticker on it with a address and through it in the envelope bin to be sorted by the sinkpad eating machine. Never telling you they have a service for delivery eggs and them knowing the recipient of the egg will get nothing but the sticker in his mail box.
As far as scamed, maybe so on how nitro said he would ship them. But he did ship them and in a usps approved way and had he been told they needed to be hand sorted, I just might have received them also. Many people got there sinkpads and I should have mine next week. Nitro has stated that he will reship my order on Monday.

Can we please, especially the folks commenting here who DID NOT take part in the group buy and ARE NOT waiting for things to be made right, hold off on the 'scammer'/'rip-off' B.S., at least until this is resolved? Please?

Nitro has informed me that he spoke to someone today. And he said the 20 cent hand sort fee was charged.
But somehow they had went through the sorting machine.
That was also another possible cause my post office came up with “they could have been put in the wrong bin”.

I think it maybe all over soon. If they charged nitro for hand sort and ran them through the sinkpad eating sort machine it is entirely their fault.

If it was a 2 oz letter ($0.66), then they charged the non-machinable fee ($0.20).
If it was a 3 oz letter ($0.86), then they did not charge the non-machinable fee.

The weight should be printed on the mailing sticker.

But even if it was the post office’s fault, what would they do? I don’t think they reimburse for loss/damage even if it is their fault, not without insurance. Do they?

Lettermail is lettermail, packets are packets. Use the correct container, or suffer the consequences.
Does anyone even realize the process it takes to move a letter from one end of the country to the other. People seem to think their letter is personally moved around by a page with a velvet pillow personally transporting it around.
I’ve worked in the biggest postal plant in Canada for thirty eight years, and know that nobody realizes what it takes to process five million letters a day.
Extra for hand sort? That’s a funny one. Perhaps it was hand sorted at the office it was dropped off at, but, once its in the system, it might go through several mega automated plants before it gets to its destination. From its original point of mailing, it might go to Chicago, NY, Toronto, London or Paris. These millions of letters are swallowed up and processed at lightning speed. I don’t think the letter will be heard crying out “please hand sort me”
Lettermail is exactly that. A letter. A few pieces of paper folded. Even staples are considered taboo. This is the modern era, and the guidelines are clearly stated. A letter might go around the world without being touched by human hands, let alone checked for foreign objects wrongly placed inside. Letters are sorted by letter sorters, and packets are sorted by packet sorters. Get with it!

For what it’s worth. Here in the UK any post is insured up £35 maybe a little more now. All you need is proof of postage. I’m sure the US would have a similar system, surely?

Marc.

No not here, you either pay extra for insurance if something goes wrong even if the post office caused it, you will not be compensated, period.

I completely agree with you, they were not properly shipped; I’ve been inside a regional sorting center before, it’s unbelievable how machines move & sort the mail; that’s why putting Fragile on it won’t matter because a machine won’t read that.

From the post manual:

1.2 Nonmachinable Criteria

A letter-size piece is nonmachinable (see 6.4) if it has one or more of the following characteristics (see 601.1.4 to determine the length, height, top, and bottom of a mailpiece):

a. Has an aspect ratio (length divided by height) of less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.

b. Is polybagged, polywrapped, enclosed in any plastic material, or has an exterior surface made of a material that is not paper. Windows in envelopes made of paper do not make mailpieces nonmachinable. Attachments allowable under applicable eligibility standards do not make mailpieces nonmachinable.

c. Has clasps, strings, buttons, or similar closure devices.

d. Contains items such as pens, pencils, keys, or coins that cause the thickness of the mailpiece to be uneven; or loose keys or coins or similar objects not affixed to the contents within the mailpiece. Loose items may cause a letter to be nonmailable when mailed in paper envelopes; (see 601.3.3, Odd-Shaped Items in Paper Envelopes).

e. Is too rigid (does not bend easily when subjected to a transport belt tension of 40 pounds around an 11-inch diameter turn).

f. For pieces more than 4-1/4 inches high or 6 inches long, the thickness is less than 0.009 inch.

g. Has a delivery address parallel to the shorter dimension of the mailpiece.

h. Is a self-mailer that is not prepared according to 201.3.14.

i. Is a booklet that is not prepared according to 201.3.15.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/dmm300_landing.htm

All the should-have-know issues aside, intimate knowledge of USPS shipping guidelines don’t matter. The method of shipping promised, and paid for, wasn’t what was used. Had the promised (and paid for) method been used, there wouldn’t have been the delivery issues.

Should the post office clerk explained the rules? Sure. Were they required to? No.

There are a lot of things that could have been done at any point along the way, but the originating cause of this is improper packaging, and not what was promised.

I’m sure Nitro wasn’t scamming, or had malicious intent, and as a good person (and businessman) will do what it takes to make it right; but arguing that it’s the USPS fault is silly.

I do not know if they will do anything. They told me to bring the envelope back Monday and give it to the post master and have him hold the envelope there at the post office to verify the damage to the ohio post office. I have nothing to do with the claim. Nitro is the shipper and he is responsible for the claim. If they where going to do nothing, I don’t see why they would want me to come back monday to give the envelope to the post master for the ohio claim. But it still doesn’t mean they are going to do anything.
I do understand where you guys are coming from here. Accidents do happen and this is not the first package I have ever received that has been damaged or lost its contents. DX sent me a laser module once that was packaged in one of those nice bubble envelopes. When I received the package there was nothing in it but the driver the laser was gone. Was that DX’s fault? They sent me another one and this time the whole laser module was gone. Was that also DX’s fault? It was shipped in a nice bubble envelope that we are all familiar with. The third one I did finally receive and was DOA. Now that was DX’s fault. Nitro’s shipping method didn’t not seem to me to be any worse than DX’s as far as the percentages of damaged envelopes. If he had shipped them in a bubble wrapped envelope I feel that the percentage of damaged or lost items would have been less, but I do not know that for sure. It’s completely up to how they handled by the carrier.
From my experiences with packages is if you are going to ship something in a envelope of any kind, you are taking a high risk of the contents being damaged or lost completely which no one seems to want to blame the carrier. If shipped in a cardboard box the chances of lost or damaged contents is much less in my experiences. I have never had a boxed package loose it contents. Beat up box yes, but the contents undamaged and it does cost more. Never have I received a empty box. It has to be the different way each package is handled by the carrier.