Vapcell S4 plus v3

To be clearer, ACIR at 1kHz is almost entirely only electrolyte resistance.

…and some believe they can measure the DC resistance of R1 in Ohms using an AC impedance meter without disconnecting the components;-)

Hi All,

I just finally needed to use the charger for the first time today and I have a couple of questions if I may.

I have read the manual a few times now, which I will continue to refer to, yet I’m still unfortunately not understanding a few read-outs on the display while it’s charging and I greatly appreciate some kind explanation on the following with hopefully not getting too technical, as for me, it’s definitely a lot to take in and absorb.

I see in the recommended Manual mode that the Current flashes with 2 readings which are, mA & mAH, which the manual states are, Current and Capacity.
Why then just directly bellow it is another reading of wh, which the manual also states is Capacity as well?

What are Good and Bad numbers for these readings?

Thanks,
S_DeP

Current = charging/charging current, this is amps flowing into the cell.

Capacity (mA): this is amps x time, so it’s amp-hours, this is the typical way of measuring the energy in a cell and can be compared directly to the number printed on the wrapping of the cell.

Don’t get too worried about c.10% differences, it’s more useful if (e.g) your 2000Mah AA is reading 1000mah.

Capacity (Wh) is similar to the above but accounts for the voltage, for NiMH cells, nominal voltage is 1.2V, so to calculate Wh for this cell, you multiply 1.2V x 2Ah = 2.4Wh.

This is only really needed if you wanted to know how two cells or batteries with different voltages compare (e.g) if a 14500 lithium ion cell (3.7V x 1Ah = 3.7Wh) has more energy than a NiMh cell (see calculations, the answer is yes).

You can think of cells as water tanks: current is like flow of water; capacity = volume.

You can empty the tank quickly with a big diameter hose (“high current”) or over a long time with a small diameter hose (“low current”). The volume of water (capacity) in the tank remains the same regardless how you empty it*.

*Okay, for cells it’s very slightly different as if you pull high amps, the internal resistance heats up the cell and wastes energy, but the analogy is simple enough.

1 Thank

Thank you so much for taking the time to graciously & gratefully explain it to me in basic layman language as I so greatly appreciate it.

I have made a copy of your grateful detailed response and I’m going to keep reading it until I fully know it.

If I may,
If I have 4 batteries charging and one of them is complete can I remove that one while the others are still charging, or should I wait until they are all complete?

Regards,
S_DeP

Yep, you can take each battery out when It’s done charging. It won’t affect the others.

2 Thanks

Thanks a Bunch, as it’s greatly appreciated.

Regards,
S_DeP

What is the overall consensus & recommendation when the Ni-Mh batteries are all fully charged, as the unit completely shut off on it’s own, which I guess it is supposed to. Do you leave it plugged in, can you leave the charged batteries in the slots, or should I remove all the batteries and unplug the unit from the AC wall outlet?

Thanks,
S_DeP

Yes do this.

Like all electronic devices, it’s best to unplug when not using.

Don’t store cells in the charger while it’s unplugged, either, as some chargers have a parasitic drain when unplugged.

1 Thank

Great, will do, as I thought so, yet I always would like to be 100% sure if possible.

Thanks a Bunch, as it’s greatly appreciated.

Regards,
S_DeP

Well, I’m really sorry yet here I am with another question.

I need to go out this evening and I have 4 batteries presently in the charger in the Repair mode and by the very looks of the indicators this is going to be a good amount of hours before it completes and I don’t want to leave it going unattended .

Can I unplug it in it’s Repair state and resume Tomorrow or must I leave it going?

Thanks,
S_DeP

Yup been in the same situation.

I don’t run repair any more as I haven’t seen benefits for the time it takes, if I want to cycle some cells, I charge 'em up and use lights to drain them!

Unplug and go again when you’re back, never leave cells charging unattended. Unfortunately it won’t remember the last state, but for the repair function this is less critical as it’s just doing multiple charge/discharge cycles.

For an automated cycling that is less extensive than repair mode, you could try “capacity test” (or whatever Vapcell calls it): charge/discharge/charge.

2 Thanks

Thanks a BUNCH, as it’s greatly appreciated.

I just didn’t want to do damage to the batteries by unplugging the charger in the middle of an operation and I really kind of figured it wouldn’t unfortunately remember where it left off, yet I definitely rather unplug it and make sure next time, I have the amount of needed time to see it all the way through.

I like your suggestion of just draining the cells a quick way and then charging them back up much better, as the Repair process certainly does take a good amount of time to complete.

I will definitely look into doing the Capacity test next time and I thank you greatly for the response and great advice.

Regards,
S_DeP

1 Thank