Waiting for the light to turn green - Green Convoy S2+

Time for the Tan S2+ to have its own thread maybe? :wink:

Simon will then see the huge amount of people interested…

Yes! I said that weeks ago back there somewhere and I still stand by it. If HDS can do it, so can Convoy!

(Yes i know that’s cerakote)

I don’t have an exact date for the Desert Tan version but Simon said it would be available after the spring festival so I’d guess probably less than a month. I’m actually planning on starting a new thread specifically about the metal switch and it’s waterproofing issues. Simon wants to rework it because he wants it to be more waterproof and I’d love some feedback from the community about how to tackle that. Pilotdog, I know you’re going for something to let the light shine through. Maybe we can accomplish both. :slight_smile: Please don’t start posting too many waterproofing ideas here. Actually we can discuss all switch related questions concerns in the new thread. I’ll start that thread later today and drop a link in here.

Yes… it is time. I’ll start it very soon. I’ve made it very clear to Simon that there is a LOT of interest in the desert tan/black version.

Actually when I questioned Simon about the pink S2+ he told me it was just a sample. He has not indicated that he intends to put it into production. I’ll have the thread about the button up shortly and I’d appreciate input from you and Pilotdog and anyone else who wants to chime in. :beer:

Hey all. I’ve created the thread for the metal switch discussion. See link below.

My main objective there is to discuss trying to make the switch more waterproof but discussions about other aspects of the switch (like how to work that “Pilotdog glow” into the design) are also welcome. :wink:

I’d be all over a S2+ headlamp!!! The S2+ has the perfect beam pattern for a headlamp and yes, I would strap an 18650 to my forehead. :slight_smile: I don’t like a battery in the back and would much prefer to see the battery holder integrated with the head up front.

No love for a deep purple convoy. :frowning:

Here ya go :slight_smile:

:smiley:

:beer:

Except it looks more like hot pink to my eyes!

Will the metal switch in the desert tan be more waterproof than the current metal switch?

It it is not, then I would prefer a desert tan version with the old switch.

Ordering anything from Simon is going to have to wait a week. There is a good reason though.

Convoy is expanding and moving to a bigger factory so right now this is what the home page of the Convoy store shows.

Well I got the parts today. First let me say this: ” I advise anyone thinking of buying a Radioshack soldering iron to reconsider please.” I had trouble opening my Weller AA powered soldering iron to reinstall the batteries so I tried the 25 watt Radioshack iron. It only got hot enough to separate the solder and flux. Not hot enough to mix the two together and create flow.
!

!

All flashlight parts purchased from Mountain Electronics.
Moonlight Special Driver: 30 second turbo, L-H, ML-2–5–33–50–100% mode output. 3 amp output.
Cree XML2-T6-4C emitter.
Convoy S2+ host.

Flashlight works great. 30 second step down is wonderful. It happens very slow and smooth. If I could choose modes again I would either pick 2% or 5% but not both. Modes are just to close to notice in real life applications. The Weller iron works well. It’s only short coming is it battery cover. It is a bear to open. Just leave the batteries installed and place the iron in a metal pan/can/container in case it gets turned on by accident.

I’ll buy one!

Nice work! I want one like that. I agree with you on the mode spacing. 2% and 5% is too close together. Perfect for me would be to just take that 2% right out of there leaving ML-5–33–50–100. Looks like a nice build. I like that green reflection shown in the table pic.

It’s on the list of proposed new colors, near the top actually so don’t give up hope. I imagine there is going to be a brief pause in new products while everything is smoothed out in the new factory but I have my list and a deep purple is definitely a possibility.

That’s a good example of the color we’d be shooting for. The problem is that is not a color that can be anodized. Could we do a really cool looking orange color? Certainly, but I don’t see any way to do a safety orange, blaze orange, hunters orange or whatever you want to refer to it as without going to a cerakote type finish. Paint just won’t cut it for durability and the cerakote process might be cost prohibitive. Maybe powder coating is an option but this is just talk as I do not have confirmation of what coating processes are feasible for Simon. I will inquire though.

I really know nothing about metal coating but I do know that HDS charges a $70 premium for cerakoted lights, so I would assume its not a cheap process. I think its sprayed on but then has to be baked to harden it, so I guess its time consuming. I didn’t realize there were limited to what sort of dyes would stick with type-2 ano so I was just reaching for something I’d like to see. Really though, if you guys know me you know I’ll buy whatever color he puts out next. I think the biggest thing for people to do is to realize that he can’t do them all at once, so we’ve gotta be patient. I would love to see him continue to add new colors though, whatever he decides, maybe one color every few months or so throughout the coming year(s).

!

!

Image one no retaining ring. Image two with retaining ring but not screwed in. Some of the components are directly under the ring so I can not screw it down. Since I believe the driver should be held in space what should I do? Driver is a 17mm Moonlight Special Driver, 3 amp version from Mountain Electronics. Thanks for the help.

Solder the board directly to the pill, or cut out enough area of the retaining ring with a rotary tool.