Warm welcome to Reddit refugees

Hey there @Clickytuna , a warm welcome to you!

Yeah, I’m no fan of drama and controversy, so I hope Reddit finds an agreeable solution.

Thanks to everyone for being welcoming to new and returning BLF users.

1 Thank

Thank you Big Boss

Agreed!
I was a Moderator on a site that no longer exists and I’m a Moderator on another Discourse site.
We have an app for that one, when I get some time I’ll look into what it would take to port it over to BLF.

Thanks for taking us in. Lol.

I’ve been a lurker here for as long as I’ve been on r/flashlight. I’ve bought on the BST here. And appreciate all the flashlight communities.

I also really enjoy the what did you mod today thread.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

6 Thanks

I’m an OG from the other forum, and since leaving that place years ago I’ve lurked both /r/flashlight and BLF with some occasional posts to each.

Since the BLF update I haven’t browsed here much, so it’s good to get me back to lurking here again after a few months.

I thank the mods for taking the subreddit down in support of the drama. I do not use apps when I can avoid it so I’ve been on old.reddit.com for a long while. I support people using apps especially for the mods who tirelessly and often thanklessly give their time and cannot do what they do without the apps.

Reddit may die but thanks to places like this my light lust will always be satisfied.

4 Thanks

Will Reddit really die?
I hope not.
I really don’t know how serious the issue is over there.
If Reddit does die, I hope that whatever replaces it as the leading English language mega-forum is an improvement. :thinking:

Hi and thanks! I’ve had an account on BLF since last summer but I seldom used it. I’m going to try to be on here more now, though.

5 Thanks

Was surprised to see a post pinned regarding /r/flashlight, but pleasantly surprised. Thanks for the warm welcome!

1 Thank

Please enjoy your time here, CookieDave!

1 Thank

@MasterNate Hey there, glad to have you here!

Glad to have you back! If there are any aspects of the new forum engine that can be improved I’m all ears. Also you might find some useful info here:

@primarycolorsnomore Also warm greetings to you!

Thanks! We’re happy to have the visitors, please enjoy your stay as long as it might be.

2 Thanks

Hey hey! Fancy meeting you here, @Clickytuna ! Ditto
@MasterNate and @spicy3d ! :slight_smile:

2 Thanks

Thanks for joining the gang, Clickytuna!

Thanks for the welcome. It’s nice to see some familiar users here.

3 Thanks

Glad that we still have BLF, the Discord, and the IRC to congregate at!
Not quite the same as Reddit, but it’ll do!

6 Thanks

The IRC channel is ##flashlight at libera.chat, right? I went there today and there were like 3 users, counting me… :-1:

Leeloo Dallas Mooltipass!

I suppose this is a good time to thank all the people on BLF.

I started my flashlight adventures back in 2005 and spent lots of time on CPF. Eventually I became less active for a number of reasons and moved over to Reddit for my daily posting, which is still pretty infrequent. I must say that BLF is usually spoken highly of by folks on Reddit, whereas the mere mention of BLF was almost a taboo at one time on CPF.

I’ve been a long time lurker on BLF, and have dozens of threads bookmarked. I credit the scientifically oriented minds for a large part of my education for modding and tinkering on lights.

It’s because of BLF that my collection consists of mostly self-assembled and modded lights. Only one is stock and it’s a Zebralight, but even that knowledge exists here (one of these days I’ll buy a hot air station and show the SC64w HI what high CRI really means.)

I’ve taken more recently to finding older models and gutting them to modernize them (Maratac AAA, Astrolux S41s, and still trying to find the elusive Spark SK3.)

Again, all because of BLF.

3 Thanks

I feel there has been fewer mods lately so modders are very much welcome (although anybody is of course).

A hot air station isn’t needed to swap the LED in ZLs, I would say that it is even not recommended because with the copper insert it needs a lot of heat to reflow the LED. The simplest way is too apply your soldering iron tip on the bottom of the copper insert. Without adding solder a large tip with flat surface is preferred so that it transfers the heat well to the insert (beveled or blade tip), with added solder any large tip can do (but then the solder has to be cleaned afterwards.

Edit : like so :

This is the tip I use :

2 Thanks

Yes, it’s ##flashlight on libera.chat. There are usually 40-60 users online. Maybe a typo?

Indeed: triple-checked and I was connected to libera.net, not libera.chat… :man_facepalming:

Thanks for the assistance!