Well Now I Know Why Folks Like The BTU Shocker So Much

i had a dream about my btu shocker last night

yeah… i have a problem.

You need therapy. Before long you will be sleeping with your flashlights. :bigsmile:

The Shocker can take a huge amt of current with copper stars - it's a beast! I ordered 18 gauge wire from Hank at IOS, wondering if I should wait on it to use, rather than the 20 gauge I got. The resistor mod will get it up there in amps, 4.5 to 5.0. There are 3 emitters putting out heat, but you may have at least triple the heat sinking of a HD2010 for example.

Brad - your 115 kcd to me looks about right, compared to the Shocker. Your new one with the real AR lens does very well, about 130 kcd, so the difference you see match's the difference in kcd I'm think'n. TN31's of course are a nice light to mod - mine does 347 kcd - de-domed XM-L2, resistor mod. Last night played with the TN31 and man, it still puts out a nice wide beam compared to other throwers I got, and still puts out good amt of light. De-domed XP-G2's can do better in throw, but reduces the beam width and total output quite a bit.

Modified BTU Shocker has 3600 lumens and 180kcd of throw, it is in HID territory really, at least it can eat up some 35W ebay HID. 4300K 85W HID has better colour temperature, higher lumens output, longer throw, and even lighter weight than BTU Shocker (with battery), but it is too long to carry around.

I always suspect if my 6500K 85W HID performs properly, its output looks not so bright. I wish to change into the 4300K module.

Right. I got a CW Shocker last Friday, probably from the same batch. It did about 135kcd and 2800lm (both after 30s).

Now it's already modded with XM-L2 T6 3C emitters, SinkPADs, and 22AWG wires, doing 150kcd and 2900lm with a very nice tint! I'm happy! :)

Edit: 105kcd for a stock NW Shocker equipped with AR lens.

Holy crap…. I’ve been away from BLF for a while and come back to hand held 3x18650 lights near-matching 35-55W HIDs !!!

wow, I’ve got a lot of catching up to do.

Welcome back kramer5150!

Now join my 2000th post giveaway (see signature) for a chance to get one.. ;)

OK, I just received my AR coated lens from Ric before this weekend. I made a preorder in november for the first batch of the BTU with U2 emitters, and the BTU-driver.
By the way, Ric was very fast replying and sending me the better lens. Just took a week with unregistered mail to arrive. Great service from him:-)
Well, after reading all mods done here with various lights, I am getting a bit tempted to try myself. I also have both a TN 30 and 31 waiting for emitter upgrade eventually, and also the resistor mod if I dare. :slight_smile:
That brings me to the question regarding the BTU. Are there any instructions of how to mod the BTU driver to reach 4.5amps+ ? What kind of resistors should I use, and what is the best place to get them? How do I apply them? And how many Ohm´s? It was many years since I calculated with Resistance and Amperes etc in school, so I just wondered if there might be a suitable thread for this? I found that regarding modding the TN31, there is some great instructions step by step the the thread made by AlexGT.
I realise that the easiest solution would be to send it to a guru like Tom E for instance, but since I live in Sweden the shipping would probably be quite “non budget”. And besides, I am eager to learn myself just for the fun of it.

PilotPtk did the resistor mod, and I'm gonna use one very close to what he used - same resistor published to mod'ing a TN31. Can't recall off-hand, but got mine from DigiKey, about $1 each. Not at home, so can't easily access BLF, slow Internet here. Think if you search for resistor mod TN31 and Shocker you will find the 2 threads.

ok. found a thread where alexgt first used a 0.12R SMD from fasttech for his TN31 mod. He later changed that resistor to a 0.82mOhm from digikey for extra current to the led. So either of those should work also to the BTU? Just piggyback it over the existing one? Havent looked at the driver yet, but you mean it is quite self explanatory how to solder it? Similar appearance of the driver as the TN31? I mean, you can see the resistor component as “R” something on the driver?
Well, I might try the mod then using the existing emitters. in case they dont get fried, I will then swap them to xm-l2

Man so can’t wait to get my Shocker, it comes on Monday. How much u guys paying for modding from fellow BLFers?

Hi,

Is this the thread that you’re referring to?

“[Mod] ThruNite TN-31, How to increase the current to the led”

Jim

in over a year of flash lighting, well over 75 different lights - the modded btu shocker is my favorite

I've yet to be able to make my beam shots look this good. Next time I'm simply going to duplicate your camera settings and see what I get.

stilllearningFoy

Foy,

That camera has been the best I have found at taking outside beamshots. I bought a new Fuji to upgrade. Well it takes better indoor shots. But the Fuji S8000fd is a super camera outdoors at nite.

Yes! There's the last post, mine, of what I ordered, then there's the links by Alex. Alex and _the_ I believe were the innovators here, not me, I just build em with the great info left by the real pros!

Jesus that looks awsome, have kept the light spending down, but now can’t resist, bugger where’s me card, got to have one of these shockers!!
Ace piccies by the way, thanks for posting makes a world of difference when you can “see the light”!!
tabs

I received my modified BTU Shocker yesterday (XM-L2 3C T6 on copper sinkpads). All I can say is WOW! Holy smokes is it bright. I shined it around from my porch last night and managed to get at least one neighbor at their window looking out trying to figure out what the bright flash of light across their windows was.