What are you listening right now ?

No half naked girls, no fireworks, no autotune. Pure talent. Welcome Tracy Chapman.

Jimi Hendrix Covers

Here are a couple of artists who made their names in the past decade.

Nai Palm – "Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)"

Australian singer/guitarist Nai Palm dubs her own voice to create a tasty neo-soul sound that is both sweet and lush. This track comes from her 2017 solo album Needle Paw.

Check out her bio at AllMusic.com.

Isaiah Sharkey & Asher Belsky – "Little Wing"

I first heard Isaiah Sharkey just last week, when he sat in with the band on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. After drummer Joe Saylor introduced him as "one of the most profoundly influential guitarists of our generation," I figured I better look him up!

In addition to working with his own band, Sharkey has been doing a bunch of session dates, and playing a lot with John Mayer. The dude has some real chops. Guitar World published this feature story on Isaiah Sharkey last June.

In this performance from December 2021, Sharkey trades licks with another up-and-comer, Asher Belsky. While both guitarists are impressive, Sharkey's playing is seemingly more effortless. He appears to work less, but the reality is that he plays more!

I hate half naked girls. Fully is much better.

No place for imagination. Just gyno documentary. Sucks.

Archspires new album Bleed The Future and also Corpsegrinder the lead singer from Cannibal Corpse came out with a solo album…its !@#$%^ awesome

since i am on the road….
the Masters Tournament on radio.
watch highlights tonight.

"Baroque and Blue"

Jean-Pierre Rampal • Claude Bolling

In 1975, pianist/composer Claude Bolling created this wonderful fusion of classical music and jazz. Flutes are played by Jean-Pierre Rampal. Album artwork featured a classical flute slumming in bed with a jazz piano!

You can hear the entire album on YouTube. It's a short one, just 34 minutes.

"Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)"

Melanie • Edwin Hawkins Singers

Although she was not scheduled to appear, Melanie talked her way onto the stage at the original Woodstock in 1969. Roads were closed, other artists were late, and a general pandemonium threatened the entire affair. So Melanie got to go on, and help fill out the schedule. Afterwards, she wrote this paean to the event.

It is her masterpiece.

This performance is from a 1970 broadcast of the Dutch TV program Voor de Vuist Weg.

"Look What They've Done to My Song Ma"

Melanie • Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus has twice covered Look What They've Done to My Song Ma. The first time, in 2012, was part of the original Backyard Sessions. The second time, in 2015, was sung as a duet with the song's composer.

1 Thank

Wow, the Rampal/Bolling album was played many times in our house when it was released - it’s a great album. And it was also a real pleasure to revisit “Look What They’ve Done To My Song, Ma,” which made a real impression on me when the New Seekers version charted in the USA, due to its genuine, raw emotion and sad theme that was unusual for a radio hit.

Those clips really took me back. Melanie Safka is the kind of intelligent, unadorned talent we rarely see developed commercially these days. Good to see she’s still singing.

The New Seekers covered Melanie?!! Somehow, I missed that. Fortunately, YouTube's got the official release, so I had a quick listen. Nice to catch up.

As for the Claude Bolling recording, I'm with you all the way. The album with Rampal is special. I pull it out every couple of years, and it never fails to delight. It's fresh every time. Bolling started a franchise with that album, but none of the follow-ups were quite as good.

I'm also digging Orianthi's performance with Billy F Gibbons. Very tasty.

Every time I hear “Look What They’ve Done To My Song, Ma” I think of Mary Hopkin’s hit “Those Were The Days,” which I also remember very fondly from my childhood. That song has an interesting history, with origins in Russian folk music.

0:59 is when
the action starts.