What are you listening right now ?

/

Velvet Revolver - Slither (VIDEO) - YouTube - One of the best gitar riffs around.

Melanie

Melanie

years later

years later

Polish blues played in early 80’s by harmonica master Ryszard Skibinski (RIP). Masterclass.

WOW: I’m amazed; I thought blues like that could only be found in the southern US.
Music has no boundaries.
Nor do flashlights. Thanks for that. :disguised_face:

BLUES

before Aretha…

A lot of great tunes this week!

• Blue Öyster Cult
  • Peter Gabriel
  • Ryszard Skibiński
  • Loren Allred
  • The Tonight Show Band with Doc Severinsen
  • Keith Urban and Company
  • Velvet Revolver
  • Melanie (and Miley)
  • Kasa Chorych
  • Dinah Washington

All great stuff!

Standouts for me were Keith Urban kickin' ass live, Loren Allred giving a performance on BGT that will be remembered as one of the best ever for that show, and Kasa Chorych with an evocative slow blues that creates a mood of its own.

But like I said, it's all good! Keep 'em coming.

"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat"
By Charles Mingus

Mingus is one of my two favorite jazz composers from the '50s. The other is Thelonious Monk. Of course, if we're talking players rather than composers, then a whole bunch of other names pop up.

she’s too young to sing the blues or the Beatles….

Sorry, only audio

The Jim Cornette Experience podcast, covering the departure of Vince McMahon from WWE.

"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" by Joni Mitchell
Santa Barbara County Bowl · 1979-Sep-09

My first exposure to Goodbye Pork Pie Hat was this version by Joni Mitchell. I bought the album a few weeks before the concert, and then joined a large group of friends and family at the show. None of us knew that HBO would be there to record the whole thing.

The list of players accompanying Joni is impressive. Check out the names as they scroll by during the first few seconds of the video. The only one I will mention is Lyle Mays, the keyboard player, who somehow was omitted in the video credits.

The studio recording of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1M3ML9u8iY

Joni and Paul Simon both appeared at the Newport Folk Festival last weekend. It was Joni's first public performance since she suffered a brain aneurysm rupture in 2015. Videos of the show are circulating on YouTube. The music, however, was not what made Joni's performance special. It was simply that a 78-year old Mitchell had taught herself to walk again, and very recently, how to play guitar and sing. By all accounts, this was an emotional and wonderful event.

Great to hear Lyle Mays pre-Pat Metheny Group, and great to hear that Joni Mitchell made a public appearance at Newport after all her health struggles.

Smokie - Living next door to Alice (Fernsehgarten ZDF German TV 2014) - YouTube Living Next Door To Alice. Smokey. Sometimes the singer does not want the crowd to participate. Or maybe he does. The crowd inserts lyrics from Roy chubby Brown’s version. The song was originally from an Australian band.

Yow, that’s good stuff.