What color to Cerakote flashlights *UPDATE: flashlights now cerakoted*

The blue titanium is sharp! (I’m still good with stainless on the 1503.)

I love the Titanium Blue-Gray color!

I like Supfire in bronze.

First visit to this thread and I have to agree with everyone else, you do really nice work and are offering it at reasonable prices. Are there any limitations on type of metal being coated, copper, brass, etc? I’m thinking Marvin’s ray gun could use some green and burnt bronze.

Doesn’t have to be metal. You can cerakote dang near anything. Plastic just has to be able to withstand temps 150-250. The metal type shouldn’t matter. It just has to be blasted to make the surface irregular for adhesion

See the test thread here

Those colors all look great to me.

The Blue Titanium looks fanatastic. Great job n10sivern. Interesting set of firearms too.

I have to wonder why the Glock has Cerakote on it? It’s original Tenifer finish was much more durable than anything available to us here in the States.

I’ve seen a lot of glocks with worn finishes.

I’ve seen a lot of files dulled to scrap trying to cut Tenifer finishes. Are you saying Cerakote compares favorably to Tenifer? Tenifer is actually several thousandths deep into the metal host, even if the black outer coating is worn off from years of carry, the Tenifer is still in the metal pores protecting it.

Glock no longer uses Tenifer, since 2012 I think. It uses Melonite finish now. Even with the Tenifer, Glock put a phosphate coating over it for appearances. I have seen Glocks with rust from worn finishes from holster wear, but I think it is more prevalent with the Melonite. The Tenifer and Melonite which is similar are nitriding treatments for the metal, but Glock still top coated them. The top coating is what wears off, leaving a really dull looking dark metal finish. Cerakoting and Tenifer are not the same by any means. Cerakote is much better than the phosphate top coat that Glock uses though, but Tenifer and Melonite actuly treat into the metal which Cerakote doesn’t.

I only know about Glock from their debut. I was best friends with a gunsmith at the time and did a lot of work on a few Glocks. They didn’t have a coating at all. I know this because I got commissioned to completely remove the Tenifer finish from a 17L Longslide Competition gun. After I was done I polished the bare metal and it was deep blued like a Colt Python. Came out real nice and was a unique piece for the Officer that used it in competition shooting.

After taking my own Model 23 too far with checkering on the sides and ruining it (just don’t know when to stop, it went full auto) I put a Caspian SS slide on mine with a ported window and 4 holes in the top of the barrel. Not long after that, Glock started doing the exact same thing on their new 17L. I had one of the very first 23’s, couldn’t resist back then. I remember there being a lot of controversy about the Tenifer, that is was considered Toxic by the USDA and not allowed to be done in the US. Since I’m really easy on my prize possessions, it’s not likely I would have ever seen the kind of wear and tear that would have shown issue.

I learned how to make leather holsters back then, didn’t like the hard plastic Kydex for the wear and tear problems. Certainly though, Kydex is one of the best ways to carry here in Texas as it gives 100% sweat protection. My leather allowed breathing and you could pull the piece and see sweat beaded all over it. That was back in ’91-’92 or so.

I had to GTS “google that $@&t”.

Lots of info on the Glock finish here

I make my own kydex holsters. I don’t worry too much about aesthetics, just functionality. Below is a holster I made for my Cerakoted Ruger 22/45 Lite.

Nice, any chance you could link that clip?

What do you mean?

It’s a great clip

Oh ok

It’s a BladeTech Tek-Lok

They also have knock off versions at Fasttech

Just an update, I cerakote each Hd-2010. One in Titanium blue and one in safety orange. The titanium blue is already up for sale.

I also cerakoted a UF-1405 for one of the physicians I work with. He wanted it to use on his boat and for hunting. It’s safety orange. His package included a pill with a CW XM-L2 at 4A and a pill with a red XP-E2 at 2.4A. I replaced the cheapo switch. Added 4 Soshine 5500mAh 26650’s and a Xtar SP2. Not a bad little package. Run time should be phenomenal with the Soshine batteries.

Does the paint come in gloss and flat or does something else determine the finish?