What did you do today?

Thanks. I hit a 15 minute window where Sears was having a problem adjusting their sales discounts and got it for $162. I also am getting 15% cash back from one of those casback websites, which knocks another $24 off the price I paid. A price fit for BLF. I have to say, its pretty hot looking for a push mower.

I went to the farmers market, My son saw the fountain and that was the end of the farmers market LOL, Played in the fountain for about an hour. Looked at a house we may be buying.

Then the fun began, cut open some batteries, not just the jackets but took the tops of

ROFL! I dream of the day of naked house!! [quote=jacktheclipper]

Took my youngest off to college .

YEEEEEEAH! NAKED HOUSE! FINALLY!

[/quote]

I had to work today. This morning they had the shop lights off and our shop is at least 250 feet long. There was still ambient sunlight coming in the bay doors so it wasn't totally dark. I was standing at one end of the shop when two of our technicians walked up to me. I said "watch this" and pulled out my 350 lumen CREE EDC and shined it at the wall at the other end of the shop. It lit up the wall well (SMO reflector) and the two guys said HOLY SH*T!!! I think I created two new flashaholics today.

Later on in the day another one of my coworkers, a guy that is constantly joking and messing with people tried to take one of my EDCs out of my belt holster. He didn't get it so I whipped it out and gave him the full 350 lumens right in the eyes from about 10 feet away. He grabbed his face and yelled a few cuss words, followed by him saying his corneas were on fire. LOL. We went outside for a smoke 15 minutes later and he said he was still seeing spots.

Before you roast me over the coals, I never shine a light in someones eyes unless they deserve it or earn it. He earned it. He constantly teased me about my flashlights saying "Big deal, they're just flashlights." After that incident today he said "Holy crap, that is a serious light!" Followed by "I didn't even know they made lights that bright." Now he knows... :D

Some awesome stories there lol.

I measured "tailcap" currents.

Turns out the Nitecore EX10 SP draws 1000uA for 3 seconds then drops to 210uA on full standby, while the newer EX11.2 also draws 1000uA but for 30 seconds, then drops to 6.7uA

SirJohn, your lawnmower needs some headlight. So you can mow your lawn in the dark.

This time after a 1.8 mile snorkel we hit a spot called the Shark Hole. It was absolutely magnificent. Carpet sized Anemones, loaded with small and large Clown Fish. Too Many others to mention. A series of spur and groove formations with steep faces, starting at about 5 feed deep and going down to 25 or more feet. I'll be going there again soon. Then the snorkel and hike back. I am tired to say the least.

Ordered another Nitecore D11 v2 to replace the week old one that yesterday i put a 3v lithium primary in the wrong way and fried looking on the bright side it still works (for a given value of work) but only on low mode so is ideally suited for duty as a bedtime reading light

I had a roller coaster of a flashlight modding day. My first project was to swap the emitter in a Quark I have. I planned on swapping the neutral R4 XP-G for a not-quite-neutral-but-darn-near-snow-white R4 WH XP-E. It went pretty well but I wasn't getting the tight hotspot I get from my other XP-E. I wasn't sure if it was the positioning or what. It appears that the XP-G quarks actually do have a slightly different reflector than the old ones.

I thought that just to make SURE that my positioning wasn't off (height-wise) it was going to be necessary to reflow the XP-E R4 onto the PCB that came in the Quark, which was something I had never even attempted. Suprisingly, I managed to get the XP-G off the Quark board fairly easily.

This is where it went bad. I repeated the process to remove the XP-E from the 10mm board it was on.

It caught of fire and destroyed the LED. OK... I have one left. I'll try again with a more gentle approach this time. Same result. Burned it up.

So now my beloved R4 XP-Es are gone. Only one thing left to do... drop a neutral XML in there. :) It worked out rather easily and it still produces light, so not all was lost.

I was quite agitated after the whole thing and I said to my wife: "If I'm going to screw stuff (<-edit) up today, I'm going to screw it up big time."

I grabbed my Trustfire X9 and proceeded to disassemble it. It was time to try to reflow a neutral XM-L onto that big PCB/heatsink that is used on these new XM-L throwers. I must have been out of my mind to think it would work.

But... guess what? It worked. I got the LED mounted and wired back up and it lit. I was floored. Now my only concern was "How much damage did I do to the LED with the heat from my absolutely amateur reflow job?"

Again, I'm floored. Last week I measured this light at 41k @ 1m. Today, with a neutral XML, its putting out 32.5K. That's a 20% drop. While that sounds like a lot, It is 2 flux bins lower and supposedly the warmer the LED the less focused the output is so while the lux dropped 20% the lumens may not have.

I'm just thrilled that I did apparently little damage to the LED and I have a one-of-a-kind light AFAIK. :)

FAIL: R4 XP-E Quark

SUCCESS: Neutral XM-L Quark and Neutral XM-L, 8x7135 driven, Trustfire X9

I finally grew some balls and took the propane torch to one of Boazs' EZAAs and switched the emitter to this XPG-R4 4B tint 12.8mm base from KD, perfect fit.

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11117

Once I got all the red loctite off of the cap it came apart, man I had to get it hot. Wow what a beautiful tint.

While waiting for my application of blue loctite to dry something went terribly wrong and the thing heated up high and vented the Duraloop melting the driver in the process.

Apart it came again now it is a one mode with a beautiful tint, I really don't regret loosing the low mode, because the tint is so nice now. Works great with a bestinone IMR 14500.

FYI: Shiningbeam is still out of 1D tint XMLs, but they just got some 4C tint T5 XMLs on a 16 mm base. I can't wait to try one of those out in a P-60 drop in.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-106/**NEW**-Cree-XM-dsh-L-T5/Detail

Woke up early and online looking at lights....time here is 8:27AM, 18th on a breezy rainy Sunday. Was gone for awhile but now i have been catching up with the forums.

Some scary modding stories! eek! but thats the way we all learn, theres always a first!

Today I attempted to do some amateur fiberglass work, applying super thin glass mat to a small piece of foam to help keep the surface intact when that piece of foam meets the grass at 30 km/h at regular intervals. Used a 30 minute epoxy, which is a lot thicker than what I understand is usually used in glass work, but eventually I got it wet, and probably a little too wet, but I hope it turns out alright.

Would of been a good day to hit a parking lot and bring my rc gear with me......darn rain today, nice plane what motor are you using, brushed or bl.

Brushless 100W, 3S 800mA, 6x5.5" APC, 21" span, 250G AUW (thats 8oz?)

Son of a a gun. I wish I hadn’t bought so many T4 5A from Cutter (had to get the free shipping). I greatly prefer the 16mm ones over Cutter’s 14mm which is also thicker.

The R5 4C looks good too... I CANNOT spend any more money!

Nice, do you know what servos your going with, i take it digitals would be so much better then analog.

I put two futaba S3111 into it, along with a Spektrum 6100 Rx, Turnigy C2822 - 1600kv, Turnigy Plush 10A. The budget stuff from hobby king makes up the speedy and motor, sort of like the shining beam cross deal extreme store of the RC world.

I have tried the futaba digital S3152? the digital equivalent, and its a little more precise, but functionally the analogue S3111 are very good already. on 4.8V, I get 0.10sec, 22oz torque. The budget servos from HK, the venerable HXT900s are great, but the S3111 are that much better in accuracy, number of steps and torque for a micro servo class. They do cost more though... about $12 each vs $3 haha, but I thought it was justified in this little thing for scooting around with a little more speed. (oh btw, the digital version would have cost $30+)

Oh i know all about this hobby and what it costs.....broke by payday and waiting to get paid again to get more stuff. I have been checking out nitro on-roaders and it is just sick that they make super charger and turbo kits for nitro's now. Back in the days of my rc's i was planning on going bl but my club would not allow it. You can check my stuff out here- https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/3768

I have a pretty bad hangover from last night. I'll probably spend the day in bed with my netbook reading this and other forums

Dude go out and get some coconut water.......you can find them in the Asian isle of most grocery stores, hydrates you faster then water. They come in soda type cans and depending on your area costs about one buck per can. Trust me one or two cans will have you feeling like new again.