What did you mod today?

That sounds like a fun project, I really like the D1S host but they’re so hard to get.

It works, though you will need to modify the switch hole with a dremel to fit the new switch. I have one that was upgraded by ArtieT59 with an SFT40 and an amber switch.

There’s a new customized emitter being sold by Fireflylite, it is 3500k, 95cri, and very rosy. 5050 footprint just like the SFT40, but a round die. It should be fine up to 5-6A, so make sure to get the right driver.

Another option is the Cree XP-P, it is available in 3000k 90cri and supposedly has decent tint, though the beam will be much narrower than SFT40, it’s not very bright but the die is very intense. You’ll also want the 5A driver for it, but if Hank has a 4A driver it’d be better.

Also, remember that Hank will sell nearly all parts to you if you ask, and then you don’t need to worry about being out of stock.

1 Thank

Thanks for the reply!

I see. I’ll probably wait and see if I can succeed in building the flex aux PCB that was mentioned — if I do, I will probably skip the lighted switch, but if not, perhaps I will go that route.

That may be interesting; thanks for the link. Would I be correct in thinking that if I were to use that LED, I should flash “nofet” firmware to a 5A driver? Or just be careful which battery I use, I suppose.

A related sanity check: if I do get an SFT-40, it would handle the 9A driver w/FET firmware, correct?

Yes, though Hank usually does that as well.

IIRC Hank ships SFT40 with the “8A” (actually 7.5A) driver, I would get that one, or just ask for the right driver for using an SFT40.

1 Thank

Very interesting! I’ve stopped tint-gambling on these mystery round die emitters but if these are actually supposed to be rosy I might just try them.

Edit: I just ordered five to try. I figure I had better order now before the r/flashlight users buy them all.

1 Thank

I’ve ordered 10, but they haven’t shipped yet. I don’t think they will run out instantly, since presumably the MOQ is a few reels they’ll have at least a few thousand emitters and reddit is still kind of wary of FFlite.

2 Thanks

Cross post from the Boruit D10 mega thread:

I managed to cram a couple of 7135 regulators into the stock D10 driver and get a regulated D10 headlamp. It runs very cool and has stable output throughout the entire runtime. Next I will mod the D25LR when it arrives with similar technique. Gotta order a bag of 7135s now.

1 Thank

Interesting, I ordered 5 of them, just for curiosity. Sanan chip likely, like ‘egg yolk Yinding 5050’, but equipped with special phosphor mix according to customer spec (if it is really a custom emitter).

2 Thanks

I am so curious

1 Thank

Emitter swap on the Sofirn SC01 keychain light. This has been weighing down my keys for over a year with the battery being dead for most of that time. I think the greenish SST20, micro USB, and EDC-ing a TS10 had given me little motivation to charge it (not sure why I left it on my keys though).

I had been researching emitter swaps on the similar olight keychain lights and was just about to forcefully push the guts out, when I decided to first try unscrewing the pill. Well sure enough, it was screwed-in, not press-fit!

This is a pretty neat light and I’m glad I got one before it was discontinued. Sofirn, how about re-releasing it in a few different colors of aluminum, 519A, USB-C, and giving the option for a 10400 tube extension? I think it would be one of the better tube-style, twisty, keychain lights on the market.

Here’s the pill. Hey, a 7135 chip. There’s a little button-like contact soldered to the bottom of the pill that gives it the two-stage UI. I used an alligator clip, held in a vise, to keep the button in place. I used a heat gun for the reflow. Luckily everything stayed in place while the solder melted and it amazingly turned out to be an easy mod. I should have done this a long time ago!

Imgur

Went from a greenish SST20 4000k to a dedomed 519A 5000k. Huge improvement.

Imgur
(Testing stains on a new-to-us dining room table)

5 Thanks

How careful do you have to be to reflow a led in that board full of components?

I was definitely worried about it. The heat gun melted all the solder on all the components, but everything stayed in place. My only other experience with something like this is doing TS10 emitter swaps - same deal, solder on everthing melts, aux leds included, but it basically stays in place.

1 Thank

Just remember to not sneeze… with all the components flying everywhere LOL.

1 Thank

I also ordered some - was planning to put them in a Convoy Z1.

Might there be any details on what currents they can handle? You mentioned 5-6A. Is that based on them using them in the T1R?
I wonder if the 5050 can handle more maybe up to 8A?

BTW, I also ordered the 3535 variant from FF - when I asked, Ivy added them to my order.
I also wonder what the max of the 3535 is.
Based on FF reddit, it seems like the 3535’s sweet spot is 2A. Not sure if it could handle Convoy’s 17mm 5A buck driver.

Yes, and other lume1 lights. That’s as high as the buck portion of the driver goes, and they are using noFET firmware,

That seems oddly low, even the SST12 can do a bit more at 3A. Very interesting to see you were able to order them, I’m looking forward to seeing how they perform in other lights. Maybe @koef3 would be interested in some too.

1 Thank

If you talk about 3535 footprint round-die domeless LED, I already tested one here. It maxes out at 9.4 A with 1421 lm @ 3.87 V

Nice mod, mine may well be 219 version, if such a thing was ever offered(?) but otherwise thankfully not too greenish as that looks like a emitter swap I’d struggle with.

I’ve always wondered why these things aren’t/weren’t more popular, I’ve had mine on my keys for many years and it still looks great. Shame it was discontinued, Ali version would get dinged up quickly on a keychain but would be less weight.

1 Thank

It seems to be a different emitter, compared to the one used by fireflies, or at least a different phosphor mix and construction.

1 Thank

Are there any pictures of this 3535 FF emitter around?

They also use noFET on SFT40 TIR, which can handle more than 6A.

The person who shared this said it’s the sweet spot, not maximum. So I’d assume the maximum is somewhere around 3-6A, but that’s just a guess. A better guess could be made by looking at a test of an existing led from the same manufacturer (Sanan?) with 90cri.

Not afaik. But this is it’s 5050 sibling: FFL505A round-die 3500K CRI95 Rosy-tint Emitter – Fireflylite outdoor