What did you mod today?

They are shipped already …

Maybe someone can send me 2 or 3 pcs of 3535 FFL emiter for testing…

I just sent an email to ask for 10pcs instead of 5. I can ship you 3 once I get them. May take a while though as I also pre-ordered some of their new lights (X1S, E07x).

Very cool, if it takes a little bit longer it’s no problem, since I am awaiting several new LEDs and I also want to test some of them

3 Thanks

Recently I received an SP10 Pro with a defective switch, so I decided to disassemble the SP10 and make a single-emitter TS10.

I ground the face of the reflector to shorten it, so that the stackup would fit the TS10. While doing this, I think I let the reflector get too hot, as it wasn’t as reflective as before. I then attempted to polish the reflector, which removed the “orange peel” texture, and… kind of worked. I still need to wait for it to get dark to see if this reflector actually performs well at all.

I may try using a TIR, or a reflector from a Convoy T2/T3. I’ll also probably install a different emitter.

I wonder how this TIR would perform. I think it would be easier to install than a reflector, since it’s close to being the correct height for the combination of the SP10 bezel and TS10 head.

Edit:

I still need to wait for it to get dark to see if this reflector actually performs well at all.

In terms of illuminating distant objects (i.e. “throw”), it seems to be roughly equal to a stock TS10 when they are both set to the same ramp level. Probably this reflector isn’t performing as well as could be hoped, after what was done to it.

7 Thanks

If I remember correctly the T2/T3 reflector has a 5mm opening so make sure you have a suitable gasket.
Convoy has 5mm gaskets for 3030 and 3535 emitters.

2 Thanks

That’s the TIR I’m using on my TS10, it performs very good but the problem was the emitter i was using (519a), the beam pattern was very bad with it (square-ish beam, not much throw improvement over the stock TS10). Now I’m using the Yinding 6500K high CRI LED, and it gives the throw i was expecting with very nice tint and color reproduction, and it’s artifact free now, perfectly round hotspot. Hotspot temperature got down to about 5800K using the SP40a TIR.

Edit: Comparison between stock optics TS10 vs single:

Reference

Stock triple, CSP2323 6000K high CRI.

Single TIR, Yinding 5050 6500K high CRI.

7 Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I just put the 5000k SFT-40 that I had recently installed in my PD35 into the TS10, and even with the poor, abused reflector, it now does have quite an improvement in throw. :flushed:

The beam isn’t super nice looking, though. I wonder how this emitter would perform with that TIR. I will probably end up ordering some of those TIRs, to try. I may also grab some reflectors, and try to treat them more carefully.

1 Thank

I have a SFT40 5000K destined for a TS10 single, too. Although I may wait for those Fireflylite 5050 LEDs that are supposed to be rosy.

2 Thanks

Maybe this would be less bad if the reflector was in better shape, and/or by playing around more with the centering gasket.

Do keep in mind just how abused this reflector has been: face ground off, orifice drilled out, orange peel polished away, dented when my bench grinder shot it across my basement, etc. :joy:

Edit: With a piece of #3 film the beam looks perfectly fine, and still has more throw than a stock TS10. It did reduce throw somewhat, though.

3 Thanks

Great pics! Definitely a nice little pocket thrower.

1 Thank

If you polish the surface, it’s going to get oxidized soon and make it a really bad reflector. The best way is to just replace it with a TIR.

I have a black TS10 with 6000K CSP that I absolutely hate. That is a prime candidate for a SFT40 mod. I just need to buy the longer bezel from somewhere…

2 Thanks

Yeah I figured I would have issues with that (oxidation). If the reflector surgery had otherwise turned out better, I would have explored options to address it.

I was just trying to see if I could do anything with it, after it got kinda messed up. Which I… kind of did? I’ll still replace it, though.

1 Thank

Looks nice, I would put the T2 reflector in it. Just make sure to get the right gasket with it too.

You’ll have to grind it to size, as it’s a bit too long for the light to come together without a gap between the bezel and body. It’ll throw very well, mine has a W2 in it and does almost 37kcd.

2 Thanks

I put a 519a 4500K into a Sofirn SC13

album w more pics

I would not recommend the process I used to get the press fit bezel out. (hammer and screw driver)

And Im really not thrilled with the green tint of the 519a. Overall it was just a proof of concept, that proved to me that it was a waste of time.

The mcpcb I used is not screwed down, so I will not be suprised if the LED does not survive the thermal challeges… I only used thermal paste.

Would be better w thermal epoxy, after a DeDome, or a different LED that is less green to begin with. But I already hammered the bezel back in place and have little motivation atm to redo the mod.

win some, lose some… oh well

5 Thanks

Between pressed in bezel, shitty shallow TIR which brings out worst of an emitter and the FET driver, this light is a hard pass for me.

2 Thanks

I like sofirns Fresnel TIRs - unless you light at a wall from 30cm distance, the light is pretty even, but it allows for tiny lights with decent properties. Cutting 5-10mm length off a 18350 or 16340 light is a big deal imo.

1 Thank

I’m interested in using the lenses for mods. Not so much for 3535 emitters since a triple with optic takes up roughly the same space (these lenses have an air gap between them and the LED, right? ). I wonder how they look with an XHP50. Not many low-profile optic options if you want to use a 6/12V single emitter.

I put some DC fix on my HS10 (same optic) and it makes a big difference in beam quality.

1 Thank

agree, plus it has built in charging:

1 Thank

yeah that sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. If I’m being honest I’m not terribly jazzed aboutt the aesthetics of the light either. But I do love a tiny light. I wonder if Wurkkos will come out with their own ‘take’ of this model - like they’re apt to do (sharing designs).

3 Thanks

Man what a chonker though. Looking dummy thicc next to the TS10

1 Thank