What did you mod today?

DQG Hobi Titanium 532nm green laser upgraded with a magnetic forward clicky tail switch and 10250 cell, X3 got me thinking about this one ;)

DQG Hobi Ti Seoul Viosys 365nm UV incorporating a Forward clicky tail switch keyring attachment and heat anodised.

Didn't turn out quite how I hoped but still something a little different. Could be to do with the titanium used maybe?, the clip took the colour much more easily.

More CRX gadgets
I like the UV light best, the blue/grey ano I think looks pretty good, fits the black lens and UV light!

Well, both transmission results look too high. Glass should be about 92%ā€¦.
But anyway, this result means that I still canā€™t explain why your LED performs lower than expected.

Beware CRX, lasers are addictive too :smiley:
Really nice work, as usual !
I found some 10250 on Ali, gotta order them along with some 9mm FW switches to make a Tool AAA 520nm green laser :-p

Alright djozz I ordered 10 more LH351D in 80CRI 5000K, iā€™m trusting you :smiley:

Also might try slicing one of these 5Kā€™s, you estimate the 4K went down to 3500 after slicing?

Notice the part at the bottom where it says ā€œthickness only slightly affects the transmissionā€
It doesnā€™t double when you go from 1 to 2mm.
Also if it is AR coated then it could be far less than 15% loss.
The majority of light loss comes from the interface between air and the material, which happens twice, once on each side.

I do not know how glass transmissions are generally measured, but I can imagine that some average incoming angle is taken for it. In a flashlight with reflector however the majority of the light (the part coming from the reflector) hits the lens almost perpendicular to the glass, at which angle the reflection is at its minimum. In any case, just under 95% is what I have measured before, and so have others (on phone, no link ready atm).

Cool :slight_smile:
K&S brass tubing can be really useful when mucking about with these small builds, comes in all different sizes, 0.45mm walls usually and they fit well inside each other.

What kind of optics setup is that? Big-ass domed LED with a tiny reflector?

@Djozz and Agro, letā€™s not forget that we perhaps donā€™t have the top bin of LH351D sold by AEDe.

What bin is it? Unlike Cree and Nichia LEDs, it is much harder to see what bin it is on the datasheet.

@Djozz, perhaps you should do some testing with the LH351D and then compare with the bins to check.

Yeah it is an MT-G2 with widened reflector aperture, a real thrower :smiley:

They are normally measured at 0 degree. So losses in a flashlight should be higher.

Ah, yes, Chinese Mystery Glassā€¦

Kinda why I donā€™t bother replacing the come-with glass.

Iā€™ve seen lens companies quote standard borosilicate lens as having 10% losses. UCL from flashlightlens.com has a 99% transmission while their UCLp has up to 97% transmission, they say, but Iā€™ve seen a large UCLp lens lately with 6% loss in lumens as compared to a standard Lexan lens with 11% loss.

Olight is known for having glass lenses that add a green tint to the light, MaxToch has used glass that blocks quite a bit of light, usually it shows what kind of lens it is to lay it on a piece of white paper and see the tint in the glass, high transmission lenses will almost disappear on the paper.

I got my new black finish Emisar D1s and pulled the driver, removed the FET and MCU so I could replace the FET with a Vishay SIR404DP, replaced the MCU with one I flashed Anduril into. Put it back together with 18 gauge leads for some 1600 lumens out the front on the stock Neutral White emitter. Very happy with it now as it matches my other Emisarā€™s. :slight_smile: Itā€™s fun to have 4 or 5 lights with Candlelight mode going in the same room. :slight_smile:

Just checked again: small light at constant output and same light with 1.5mm uncoated glass flashlight lens cellotaped in front of it: 94%

Is it possible that large portion of light reflected off the lens bounces around the head and is eventually successfully extracted?

Itā€™s probably an AR coating.

ā€œIf the typical reflection off an uncoated lens is 8-10% (depending on the wavelength) then coating just a single surface would only bring that down to about 4.5-6% reflection. Once both sides are coated, the total reflection drops to about 1-2%. ā€
This is for regular glass, so of course it is a bit worse for sapphire.

As I said earlier, most of the loss happens between the two mediums.
Increasing from 1 to 2mm will barely make a difference.
The only thing that would double the loss (as djozz mentioned here What did you mod today? - #5217 by djozz) would be having two lenses with air in between.

PS- most of the light from a flashlight passes through the lens at 0 degrees because the reflector is parabolic.

I vote for Agroā€™s explanation :party: , of course most reflected light back into the reflector wil simply have another go exiting through the lens, and again, until it is either absorpted or left the flashlight.

The lens is uncoated btw.

It wouldnā€™t be collimated after refracting and reflecting multiple times.
If you measured with an integration sphere then yes you would get low absorption but if you measured with a luxmeter then no, only a very small amount of recycled light would hit it.

Just emitter swap. Convoy bd06 with xp-l hi V2 3C
NOTE: The centring ring from astrolux E02/E01 fits perfectly with the BD06 reflector