What did you mod today?

HDS Rotary w sw45k got trits :slight_smile:

8 Thanks

Nice trits.

3 Thanks

Iā€™m trying out some new Osram LEDs. 3030, domed, warmer CCTs and high CRI.

Iā€™m not sure what to call these. Osramā€™s naming convention drives me crazy. They showed up as new products on Digikey and I made an impulse buy.

I bought several of 4000k, 3000k, 2700k, and they even have a 2500k. So far Iā€™ve tried the 3000k I linked to. I donā€™t have any real testing equipment, unfortunately. I can say the tint on that sample was quite yellow. The LED did fine at 1A but 5A was too much. Iā€™ll have to fiddle with the driver (Convoy 5A 12 group) to test something in-between those currents.

Iā€™m not sure what these bring to the table. They seem throwy but not likely more than say an SST20. The 2500k might be neat since that CCT is pretty uncommon. Hopefully the others have better tint than this one I tried. Iā€™ll also try slicing and dedoming, and share some pics if it ends up being interesting. Oh, theyā€™re cheap at least.

2 Thanks

I havenā€™t modded it today but since Reddit kinda stopped being a nice option Iā€™m going to post my favourite mods here and Iā€™m fairly certain I havenā€™t posted it here yet

Convoy 4x18a host in red
54A FET driver from Convoy (Iā€™m very sure itā€™s just 100% FET at Turbo with no feedback)
SFP55.2L LED from a Nightwatch NI03S
Result: Lots of light

Pictures are as close to reality as I could set the camera

6 Thanks

Wrap bacon on it :smiley:

1 Thank

Made my last dedomed 519A triple, this time with a Ti S2+. Now I have all the dedomed 519A CCTs, and all are triples. No need to show the steps with it, since itā€™s been done so many times before. But I wanted to highlight a couple things.

First , I removed the black paint from the pocket clip and shined up the stainless steel using sandpaper. I think it looks much better with the Ti than black.

And second, I experimented with the position of the 10511 Carclo optic in order to improve the beam. I normally place the line thatā€™s on top of these Carclo optics at the 12 oā€™clock position on the MTN MCPCBs. But with dedomed 519As, Iā€™ve found that may not be ideal.

With these particular dedomed 5700K 519As, rotating the optic clockwise made the beam much better. Before it had an uneven blob on 1 side, but rotating it made the beam a nice circular blob.

4 Thanks

Seeing that Ti S2+ triple makes me all the more excited for my stonewashed S2+ to show up next week. Still trying to decide on the emitters though, narrowed down to 519A 4500K, dd 519A 5700K or 4500K 219B.

Interesting observation about the Carclo optic. Iā€™ll have to try rotating the 10511 in mine and see if it makes a difference.

2 Thanks

Iā€™ve never thought to rotate the Optic ā€” With the 10511 Optic, Iā€™ve gotten preferred results with sanding with 1000/1500 then polishing-- An old ComfyChair mod from years ago

1 Thank

If I had gotten the stonewashed version, I wouldā€™ve left the clip as is after I removed the paint. It seemed like it would be a pretty good match.

Hereā€™s a pic in case youā€™re interested:

5 Thanks

Today I put together an S2+ with a 4500K B35AM and one of Convoyā€™s new 17mm 6V boost drivers. I swapped out the sense resistor for an r020 to halve the current to 2A. A big benefit is the low mode is now much lower; a proper moonlight. It seems very close in brightness to the lowest mode of a BLF A6 with xpl hi, which is my standard for a useful moonlight mode. I donā€™t normally use such a cold light but the tint is great so it has won me over. It blows the getian fc40 4200k out of the water in terms of tint, though I may have just been unlucky with the fc40 I received.

6 Thanks

Awesome! I think I have that same driver and emitter on the way. Is 4A too much for that LED? I just got a resistor kit so maybe Iā€™ll do this exact mod.

Very nice @Merlot . Likewise All the FC40 I tried had bad tint :expressionless:

4A is too much yeah, I would say 3A is a good maximum with Eurekatronix boards.

1 Thank

Thanks guys. The eurekatronix boards are especially high thermal conductance, so 3A is safe. Normal non-dtp boards (such as convoy) the safe max is less, maybe 2-2.5A.

@James_C where did you get that resistor kit? Iā€™ve been looking for a 1206 smd resistor kit but I canā€™t find the sub-ohm values low enough to be useful for swapping out sense resistors

Now Iā€™ve got a Convoy S11 that needs a new emitter. Iā€™ll use the 12V driver for a high powered 3x series UV S12 build. Iā€™m not sure what to do with the s11 host though, I suppose an xhp70 is the obvious choice but Iā€™m not a massive fan of the tint. I might try something weird like a clumped together tint mixed quad of 519a or b35am, on a board like this:

Alternatively I could put in a single 519a with a 4A buck driver, but that seems pretty underpowered for a light this size.

1 Thank

I got this kit, which I found recommended in another post here.

Iā€™m new to resistor mods and donā€™t know much about them yet.

Edit: nevermind, I ordered the wrong size.

Wrong link maybe ? Thatā€™s a 2512 (6.3x3.2mm) kit, most small Convoy drivers use 1206, sometimes 1210 but 1206 fits in that.

Whoops, I ordered the wrong size. Thanks for pointing that out.

Iā€™ve not found a kit of the suitable values but here are the 1206 0.02ohm resistors I ordered. They have some other values which seem useful too

1206 sense resistors

Yo! How did you disassemble to swap emitters?

I just got my stonewashed Ti S2+ today. I decided to use some 4500K 219B I got from Simon. I used a Kaidomain mcpcb and optic. I also stacked a R030 resistor on top of the R020. I have to say Iā€™m pretty happy with the results. Itā€™s almost too rosy on high, the Duv is -0.0188.

I also got a 90 CRI 4500K XHP70.3 HD from Digikey for my M21B. Iā€™m pleasantly surprised I got a nice and neutral tint with a Duv of 0.0003 before slicing the dome off.

2 Thanks

Was the xhp a 2-step tint bin? What was the duv after slicing?

Iā€™m confused. Aside from cct differences, all else equal, would a sliced 70.3 hd have comparable duv to a 70.3 hi? Say same tint bin, same starting cct. What Iā€™m getting at is there any reason to get a 70.3 hd over a hi if youā€™re going to slice it anyway?