What did you mod today?

I modded the Olight Warrior Nano with LatticePower CSP2323 4000K leds.

I used a MCPCB from Wurkkos and the corresponding TIR optic.

Since the Warrior Nano MCPCB has a specific shape (see below) and height (2mm), I needed to make a 2nd MCPCB to work as heatsink and spacer at the same time. I used a 20mm copper MCPCB, and shaped it using a permanent marker, cutting pliers and files.

Also, because the wires from the driver are quite short, and their polarity didn’t match the new MCPCB polarity, I needed to invert the LEDs position, rotating them. In the end the original + became - and vice-versa (also shown below).

Result: The beam is very different from what it was before, the tint - of course - is much better, but I am not sure if it gained brightness. I didn’t measure it before, but it seems that despite the 3 leds, it didn’t gain a “wow” effect. I will still find out about the distance range, but I would say that it now reaches less distance.

Here are some photos of the process:

Original Olight MCPCB

Marking, cutting and filing! And it fits!

LEDs polarity inversion! Top is modded and down is normal MCPCB.

Assembling! Note that I added thermal paste below the copper MCPCB and between both MCPCBs!

15 Thanks

Not as extended a mod as the above one from MascaratumB :+1: in fact this is a 20 minute mod , but I found a simple Decathlon light left behind by a pupil in the school where I work, simple but effective: just on-off, 10 lumen, 1AA batterij, just the light was a terrible angry blue so that had to change.

Here’s the light in pieces:

The led is some standard midpower SMD

This was a job for my budget but very effective hot air solder thing at 250 degrees and narrow nozzle. Robbed a 4000K Sunlike led from a donor led strip.

And look how nice the light is now. Just 6 lumen, and the beam is a bit ringy in the periphery of the spill, but the hotspot is very pleasant: CCT 3980/98CRI in the center, with a peachy CCT 3300 97CRI corona.

13 Thanks

I stuffed a D4Sv2 in a Convoy M21H :slight_smile: D4v2 driver potted with thermally conductive epoxy from MG Chem, handmade tapered aluminum spacer, narrowed and tapered MCPCB and aux board. Spacer is thermal glued, MCPCB is pasted. Tail spring melted, so I swapped in a trimmed D4v2 tail board. All BeCu now babeyyyy! Pulls a neat 24 amps, 4800-5000 lumens, 519a 5700k, Angie-M.

20 Thanks

Built a new S2+ with W1 and H17Fx. Left in the OP reflector. Might throw in a smooth reflector just to see how it looks. But I’m really liking what I have now.

15 Thanks

Given that I mostly use my headlamps for close up work, and the Sofirn SP40 has a somewhat narrow beam, I almost never use it anymore, so I decided to swap the optic, to create a wider beam.

I was planning on switching the reflector for a (pebbled) TIR, but given that the SP40 reflector is quite shallow, I couldn’t find a TIR (on Aliexpress) that would get close, so my only option would be to buy a deeper TIR and sand down the back part, hoping the LED would still fit inside and the beam would still be okay.

While searching for a suitable TIR on AE, I also stumbled onto some convex pebbled lenses, with almost the perfect diameter and since they where cheap, I ordered a few of them to try them out.

I only had to slightly sand the edge of the convex lens to get to fit it in the bezel. The rest was just a matter of taking out the glass lens, but leaving in the reflector!

The convex lens does stick out a bit beyond the bezel, so it might get some scratches over time, but given it’s a pebbled lens, I don’t think you will notice it all that much.

The beam pattern is completely what I was hopping for: a wide and smooth beam, perfect for work up close!

Photos taken with locked camera settings:

Before:

After:

In the future I will also swap the LED in my SP40, since now it still has the stock (5500K ?) XP-L LED. I will probably swap in a domed 519A, but I’m not sure if I will go for a 4000K or 5000K.

9 Thanks

Replaced the stock clear throwy Tir on my Wurkkos WK03 with a 20mm Pebbled Tir for XP (this one is 45 degree, although I prefer the 30 degree option). The beam is really clean now. A pebbled Tir would work with DeDomed 519a, which makes a ringy beam w stock optic:

I chose to replace the 519a with a 660nm Red:
the stock optic is not ideal:

The pebbled Tir really cleans it up:

5 Thanks

I ended up grinding down a random 20mm TIR but the beam came out too floody. Could you share the link to the Convex TIR? . That beam looks pretty good.

1 Thank

On one 18650 more than enough.Hot quickly,but still usable as a edc.

2 Thanks

They have become quite a bit more expensive from when I ordered them, but I ordered these ones:

EDIT:

Since they now cost € 2,99 each for me (logged in on AE) and I was sure I never payed anywhere close to that when I ordered them, I looked up what I paid for them, back in February… Turns out I paid only € 0,45 each for them, so they have become more than 6x as expensive!

1 Thank

@worrub918 I really love the look of this combination, with that blue and the smooth copper 18350 tube. I might even steal your idea and build one for myself! :smile:

2 Thanks

Do it! It’s a really nice feeling light. Although the smooth copper can be a difficult when you’re trying to change it the battery. But damn it’s so pretty!

1 Thank

I finally bought a decent reflector for this torch (and I also put a clip)

1 Thank

I de-domed the 5700K 519s in my D4K. It turns out that I do not like pink tint. :frowning:

5 Thanks

There are plenty of people around here that do, sell it and buy another one🤘

1 Thank

I think a lot of people on here are in the US, I’m in the UK.

2 Thanks

I might be interested, could you give some more info about it?

Sure, black D4K with pocket clip, stainless bezel and green-lit switch. De-domed 5700K emitters and boost driver. It has been pocket-carried but is in really nice condition except for a spot where the ano has worn under the clip, I’ve ringed this, the other specks are just fluff. I didn’t keep the box it came in but have the original black bezel for it too.

1 Thank

I’m with you on that, I prefer lights that are neutral/slightly green.

I’ve been following you guys mod your SC31Pro’s for a while now. I love the SST40 in mine so I took the dive and bought 2 more to play with.

I also have several SC31 Pro’s; an (early) black one, still stock and with Anduril 1, and a while back I also bought a blue and a green one, when they were (really cheap) on sale.

I’m planning to do some (minor) mods to the blue and green one. I’m going to switch the SST-40 in the green one to a SFT-40. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with the blue one though. Maybe I will switch the LED to a XHP50.2 (3 volt) and do spring bypasses, but it can also be that I try out a totally different LED and maybe a TIR optic.

1 Thank