What did you mod today?

What size is the hole in the XP Reflector?

5mm:

1 Thank

I was hoping it was 7mm.
I’ve only seen 3030 and 3535 gaskets in 5mm.

thanks for brainstorming

truth is I dont like the Tint of the SFT-40 3000K anyway… too yellow for me…

1 Thank

Olight Warrior Mini2 with 3000K SFT-40

6 Thanks

Olight Oclip with 4000K SST-20

5 Thanks

100 CRI Convoy S2 (Kaidomain 3,7V Xenon drop-in)

I always wanted a small incandescent flashlight that doesn’t suck, so when i saw that kaidomain was selling incandescent drop-in replacements for P60 hosts I decided to get some and fit them inside a S2. The stock reflector is too large for the S2, so i reduced the diameter using a drill and a grind wheel.

The result wasn’t that great, the reflector ended up getting a little dirty and scratched, but good enough for this old host. I will make a clean one using a new host.

I used a Jaxman E2L 3 modes 8x 7135 driver with MOSFETs instead of the 7135 regulator chips, so now i have a multimode incandescent flashlight. Next one will have a 12 group convoy 7135 MOSFET swapped driver.
Light output is very usable, around 120 lumens, beam shape is very smooth without major artifacts, and surprisingly throwy, even after removing a substantial amount of material from the reflector, and light quality is what you would expect from a incandescent bulb, 100 CRI, 0.0000 duv, at around 3000K at full power. My LM3 was giving me unreliable data so I don’t have any measurements for low and medium modes.

Reference shot

Low

Medium

High

The host gets quite hot at full power when used for extended periods so for the next build i will need to improve heat isolation. I don’t have any asbestos so fiberglass should do the trick.

12 Thanks

I would recommend using a programmable driver if you can, that way you could implement a soft start for a better bulb life. I’ve wanted to do something like what you did with an Anduril host, to make use of the smooth start feature.

Also, if you want more power, there’s very powerful P60 lamps from LumensFactory (the IMR line), though you’d probably need a driver compatible with 2S voltage.

I built a S21A Quad SST25 6500K:

With the Black S21A Host I baked:

8 Thanks

The soft start is on my to-do list, i have a convoy 12 group attiny driver that i will use for the ultimate build. My magcharger also has soft start, i will see if i can mimic the startup time of the magcharger to get optimal bulb life. Might as well convert the convoy driver to 2s to use the more powerful 7,4V bulb, that would be cool.

1 Thank

Remember, 2S li-ion is 8.4v when full, and has less voltage sag than CR123A or alkalines. You can probably get away with a 9V bulb though, like a Surefire P90 lamp though.

You can probably convert it with a zener diode, but you will lose the LVP so make sure to use protected cells or be careful with the usage time.

Not sure if this is really considered a ‘mod’, but I picked up another case today to hold all of my lights. I’m going camping next weekend and wanted to play with them all while I’m in the woods.

I already had the one on the right. Got the left one today and had fun plucking.

1 Thank

Here’s a good photo that shows the color of the baked S21A compared to a Black and a Tan Convoy:

7 Thanks

Have a nice time here, ANDYLTS!

2 Thanks

I am curious as to why you chose this setup?

I wanted to try the SST25 and I already had the S21A and thought a 6000-7000 lumen quad could be fun.

3 Thanks

You’re living up to your name, you definitely needed more lumens.

Have you thought of building an SFQ43 quad? IIRC they can be over 2000lm per emitter.

3 Thanks

Not yet, but built a D4K Quad SFQ35 and I also have a D4Sv2 Quad SFT40 thanks to your MCPCB!

3 Thanks

Give a D4Sv2 with XHP50.3HI a try, I get the feeling that you will love it, even though the tint isn’t the best.

1 Thank

I have a spare MCPCB and another D4Sv2 and hope to try the XHP50.3 in the future.

4 Thanks