What did you mod today?

Second anodizing attempt!

Still a few very small blemishes. But overall, it’s near perfect! And this red!!! Holy crap!!!

.

Edit to add sunlight pic.

9 Thanks

Show us yer setup please cuz the pics will likely be good :wink: Those look great! Well done!!

1 Thank

My setup just looks like 5 buckets and a power supply. Nothing special. But the process goes like this:

  1. Simple Green bath
  2. Lye bath
  3. Sulphuric acid bath with electric. 15v at whatever amps maths out. For these it was 0.32A
  4. Baking soda bath to stop the sulphuric acid.
  5. Rinse in distilled water
  6. Dye bath with the dye warmed up to about 135f (used an electric tea kettle)
  7. Finish by boiling in distilled water.
4 Thanks

Pretty sure I’d kill myself. Your results have piqued my interest though. Thanks

1 Thank

The scariest part was pouring the sulphuric acid in the bucket. Once that was done, it’s fine. I still wear the PPE. But I’m comfortable with messing with it. Just gotta be careful

2 Thanks

Very good! :clap:t2:

1 Thank

Mantaray C8.2. Really nice C8 styled host, it even uses the same lens and reflector, but also can use 22mm driver!

Currently installed XHP70.3 HI 4000K High CRI, but will swap it later to N5-175HE as its a 9V emitter. The driver is Nightwatch BV1 which do 6V 7.5A with 1 cell or 10V 7.5A with 2 cells.
Really love the host, I just don’t like that its 18650/26650 only, 21700 with adapter work but the threads without the anodizing have to be loose and can’t be fully tighten.

I also swapped the tailswitch spring, whatever they used it deformed even from just the battery being inserted.

The other light in the picture is Convoy M21B

3 Thanks

Thank ya!

Wk03, SST-20 660nm, 45°


This mod is great for Red Light Therapy, Astronomy meetups, Camping w less bugs, going back to sleep after walking to the bathroom (Preserves the sleep hormone Melatonin)… Observing animals without spooking, blood tracking, and preserving dark adapted vision hormone Rhodopsin..

The Wk03 is on sale for under $20 shipped.

I like to use it as a charger for my Zebra too (flat tops)

4 Thanks

Have you tried it? I’m after a light enabling following wounded wildlife but none of uv length worked so far.

So the answer is 660nm red?

Was forced to mod my BLF GT70. The LED fried in it s could of weeks ago. So I went from an XHP70.2 to an XHP 70.3HD.

4 Thanks

yes, but not by itself, you need to combine Red plus a White light (or plus Green light). This will allow you to see the contrasting ground colors, and the added Red will make the blood color more vivid.

Precious info, thank you.

Should it be mixed in 1:1 ratio, or better differently?
Or maybe there’s better solution with other wavelength?

This video has some tests:

here is the Red plus Green test:


neither light by itself will do what they do together

If you try it, please share your results :wink:

2 Thanks

I probably will once I find out how to power them both from one driver…

Maybe Niwalker with two optics could help…

Emisar D2, and other 2 channel Anduril models can mix both channels (9H from On), you can also alter the mix percentages:

Right! Great idea, didn’t think of multiple channels. Although I don’t own any of this kind at the moment, it luckily seems to be within range of my skills.

This way or another, I hope to build one this autumn (fall for some :slight_smile: )

1 Thank

I think I had heard that blue (?nm) light is good for blood tracking :notsure:
…nevermind

I’ve been trying to get my remote key fob out of my pocket. Looked at clip holders, ear bud cases, other stuff but landed on this and it is dang near perfect: Bicycle inner tube. I wear a skinny belt ~1" and it fits nicely. I can even operate the buttons if I pick the right spot without setting off the alarm..

2 Thanks

Try some cold white Hi-cri Nichia B35AM.

I lengthened the thread and used the short pill to build the 18500 triple.
Don’t have a 18500 battery yet (didn’t want to buy the battery in advance as I wasn’t sure I will succeed in tapping the threads). In theory 18500 should fit but the springs will be compressed to their limit.



And then I messed up.


Btw, kapton tape works like a charm.

EDIT: Today I received Vapcell N26 and it fits. Fortunately its length is 48 mm and I feel like another 2 mm wouldn’t fit.

16 Thanks