What do you look for in a Group Buy?

Pulsar has inspired me to look for BLF Group Buys. Thanks Pulsar…I think :bigsmile: He and a couple other guys (Boaz, sb & bikenber73) have given me some good advice. I have one GB possibility that I am working on right now, details forthcoming when I get some more info…

In the meantime, I will be contacting additional manufacturers for GB opportunities.

Soooo…what are BLFers looking for in a group buy? What catches your eye? Style of light? Unusual/original design? Brands? Battery/form factor? Mod-ability (is this even a word?)? Emitter type/bin, etc.? Driver type? Thrower/flooder/both? Max lumens (NOT Chinese lumens!)? Shipping issues? Paypal only?

What is a reasonable amount to pay? 60/70/80% of usual retail (usual meaning what you can typically find the light advertised/sold for)?

One thing I plan on doing up front is taking care of any MAP issues! There will be full disclosure with manufacturer/distributor/wholesaler…whoever.

What other information do you need up front so I don’t have to keep going back to each manufacturer? What advice do you have?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

A Supbeam K40 should be nice.

A good aspheric thrower is something that not everyone has but should if they collect flashlight. Something pocket sized that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Not a standard zoomie but a dedicated thrower that goes at least 250kcd.

If not that, then something else that few people have already, maybe MT-G2.

SupBeams are Pulsar’s gig. What about some other sleeper lights/brands that many people might not know about?

What brand of aspheric thrower do you recommend?

I wish I knew actually. I have only one and that is one I made myself. I would like one to put up against mine and see what is what.

This is a small sun ZY-T08 modded to take a 7amp SST-90 driver with a de-domed XM-L2 U2. Cheap aspheric from ali-express but it rocks. I have no idea if anyone is even making anything similar though.

GB deals are being lined up as I type.

So…what other light recommendations do BLFers have for a Group Buy?

1. Good price on a cool light.
2. A Lack of MAP police.

Rofis TR51

I am all about me some Rofis right now!

I'd be in for a Trustfire TR-S700.

I like new versions of the old scene as well, Trustfire TR-3T6 with NW XML2 or XP-G2

In general I think a good group buy should be either:

-a great deal money wise
-something unique you can’t normally buy, such as a custom light, driver, led, tint or similar or something being personalised and branded, such as “BLF”.

Specifically for me GB’s also need to be:

-affordable

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure expensive ligths are cool and just the thing for other group buys. But too high a price and you’ll limit your market. I sure like this hobby, but there is only so much I’m willing or able to spend on it.

In terms of the actual light, I don’t think it matters all that much, be it a large thrower, EDC or keychain light. Just as long as it hits the points above.

Generally speaking, if it’s a “good deal” and something I can afford, I’d get it regardless.

Xtar WP4.

24,90$ Yes please... (might want to wait for HKJ review)

I have a feeling Xtar would not make this go through though..

Mod-ability!
Glued threads is a deal breaker. Don’t like to reward them with sales.

And 1+ for affordable.

+1 on glued threads, definitely a deal breaker for me.

Looks like you have a good handle on how to go about this and I’m sure you will come up with a light that will please a number of people here.

So just keep us posted :slight_smile:

I was looking at this review on the UltraFire C20 / Crelant 7G3CS clone by JackCY. This would interest me in a group buy if we could get them for around $20.

?

Some good suggestions…keep ’em coming.

I want:

Deep discount/excellent Value

Good quality

Fits a need of mine (for example i don’t have any 1 x AA lights and could use one)

Product that stands out or is not available elsewhere (for example the first sinkpad group buy, there wasn’t an easy way to get dielectric free stars)

Good quality

After purchase support if defective (not your responsibility, but the seller’s), or a further price reduction if sold as is or a statement upfront that quality is not guaranteed so take your chances

Repairability or upgradability

Constant brightness (one can hope)

I look for a good savings compared to the normal price, for example with a normal price of $30 then a group buy price of $27.95 isn’t going to cut it (unless it was a special edition maybe).

Also I just look for ones that use primary or NiMH batteries (AA or AAA), I wont even open a thread on a group buy to read it if its not.

And based on above it should be XP-G2 if its single or 2 x AA/AAA as I’m not willing to part with money for a XR-E or XP-E light unless its less than $5.

Although I own a 3 x AA light I can’t stand them, I have some kind of OCD about it. But for a 4 x AA light I would still buy the older XM-L in a group buy and the XM-L2.

Also it depends if the deal will be exclusive to BLF members or not, if its not then it will likely be posted on bargain forums as well where the majority of the population only uses AA and AAA as well. That could be a good incentive for the manufacture/retailer if they want to move a large amount of lights or if they just want to sell a small amount they could just stick to BLF members only.