What do you look for in a Group Buy?

In general I think a good group buy should be either:

-a great deal money wise
-something unique you can’t normally buy, such as a custom light, driver, led, tint or similar or something being personalised and branded, such as “BLF”.

Specifically for me GB’s also need to be:

-affordable

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure expensive ligths are cool and just the thing for other group buys. But too high a price and you’ll limit your market. I sure like this hobby, but there is only so much I’m willing or able to spend on it.

In terms of the actual light, I don’t think it matters all that much, be it a large thrower, EDC or keychain light. Just as long as it hits the points above.

Generally speaking, if it’s a “good deal” and something I can afford, I’d get it regardless.

Xtar WP4.

24,90$ Yes please... (might want to wait for HKJ review)

I have a feeling Xtar would not make this go through though..

Mod-ability!
Glued threads is a deal breaker. Don’t like to reward them with sales.

And 1+ for affordable.

+1 on glued threads, definitely a deal breaker for me.

Looks like you have a good handle on how to go about this and I’m sure you will come up with a light that will please a number of people here.

So just keep us posted :slight_smile:

I was looking at this review on the UltraFire C20 / Crelant 7G3CS clone by JackCY. This would interest me in a group buy if we could get them for around $20.

?

Some good suggestions…keep ’em coming.

I want:

Deep discount/excellent Value

Good quality

Fits a need of mine (for example i don’t have any 1 x AA lights and could use one)

Product that stands out or is not available elsewhere (for example the first sinkpad group buy, there wasn’t an easy way to get dielectric free stars)

Good quality

After purchase support if defective (not your responsibility, but the seller’s), or a further price reduction if sold as is or a statement upfront that quality is not guaranteed so take your chances

Repairability or upgradability

Constant brightness (one can hope)

I look for a good savings compared to the normal price, for example with a normal price of $30 then a group buy price of $27.95 isn’t going to cut it (unless it was a special edition maybe).

Also I just look for ones that use primary or NiMH batteries (AA or AAA), I wont even open a thread on a group buy to read it if its not.

And based on above it should be XP-G2 if its single or 2 x AA/AAA as I’m not willing to part with money for a XR-E or XP-E light unless its less than $5.

Although I own a 3 x AA light I can’t stand them, I have some kind of OCD about it. But for a 4 x AA light I would still buy the older XM-L in a group buy and the XM-L2.

Also it depends if the deal will be exclusive to BLF members or not, if its not then it will likely be posted on bargain forums as well where the majority of the population only uses AA and AAA as well. That could be a good incentive for the manufacture/retailer if they want to move a large amount of lights or if they just want to sell a small amount they could just stick to BLF members only.

How about the Crelant 7G5MT with the Aspheric head free (so as not to run afoul of any MAP policy).

Generally speaking, the GB's that do the best are those that either offer one product at a great discount, OR they offer discounts off of multiple models, but require the sum total of the order to be high (say 5k minimum).

Now that XML2's are out, one area where I would love to see focus, is on high end lights that are now dated. You can bet companies like Fenix have stockpiles of flashlights they will be trying to sell off, but are unwilling to part with at extremely low prices. If a large order was offered, they may be more amenable.

it needs to be budget and moddable for me, anything else I’m easy on but I will not consider any of the companies that have recently waved the map hamner or been caught out using shady business practices on blf

I don’t even like them still getting air time on blf tbh. so for me, off the top of my head:-

fenix
nitecore
niwalker
crelent
xtar
wallbuys
jetbeam
sunwayman

I’ll update that list when I’ve had time to do a little research, but certainly the above companies need a kick in the nuts, not more business or free advertising.

The reason for the Crelant 7G5MT suggestion, is that I think it's a light that's flopped.

I'm hoping Crelant sales reflect this, and they could feel they have no choice but to go down in price significantly.

With the aspheric it has the potential to be very unique. If you don't care about the side switch, it's also probably fairly easy to mod.

1) No threadlocker.
2) No threadlocker.
3) No threadlocker.

i think mr lurker is saying he wants a superman comic with every purchase

+1 to that.

A budget aspheric thrower, without the bulk and cost of a monster like the BTU shocker

Why should we support them, if they’re not going to be proactive in the first instance?
Further to that, MAP, glued threads = –1

HEAR HEAR !

- Final price, including shipping costs and any other charges, must be very attractive.

- Paypal only (no credit card or western union, or other)

• I don’t care so much about modding, but it is imperative that there is the possibility of replacing any of its parts, with standard components.