What do you think about new Weller soldering station drama

so, apparently, the Weller soldering station doesn’t have fuse at main input. If you plug 110V unit into 220v , it will caught fire, and if you leave it long enough, it will burn your house down
this is absolutely ridiculous, a respectable brand that make an horrible mistake, i dont own any Weller products since their product is premium to me, but now if i want to step up my gear, i will avoid Weller.

What do you guy think ?

ps: here are 2 videos from Dave at Eevblog, iirc he is the first one exposed this failure

I followed the entire scenario on youtube and, while this is something Weller should’ve done properly, I don’t know how many NA residents have access to 220+V? It is something they can have if required, but it is not standard. Also, the 110V variants are typically not sold in 240V markets unless you specifically order the wrong variant online.

Why would you ever plug a 110V device into a 220V outlet when it specifically says on it and on the instructions that it is not 220V??
Even the plugs are different, you would literally need to go and use an adapter to make it fit.

PS - there are many devices that don’t have a fuse to idiot-proof everything.

He is just a mouthy tw@t with little real knowledge, just a youtube channel to promote, together with advertising income from his blog.

And seemingly indifferent to how his inane comments might affect businesses who are actually very good.

What did he expect, to plug a 110V iron into 240V ?

That somehow some magical fuse was supposed to save him from his utter stupidity ?

Then keep going on about it.

It’s not like laptops, or ’phone chargers, that consumers expect to just work, anywhere, on any voltage, so they are designed to do so. But they don’t have to use olde fashioned fixed voltage copper wire and iron transformers to convert the AC, ultra-reliably, for professional work, in a small volume, at the necessary power levels. Nothing more reliable than copper and iron/steel, though it is expensive nowadays.

A Weller iron is a serious professional bit of kit, used by people who are expected to know the difference between 110V, and more than twice as much, and the probable consequences of plugging something designed for the first into the latter.

I’d no more expect to plug e.g. a USA 110V travel hair-drier into an EU 220V outlet (240V in UK), and expect it to work, though many do try this every year, with predictable results.

I pay no attention to him. He is frankly an ignorant, potty-mouthed, self-seeking individual, who contributes nothing to the grand scheme of things.

I think Weller have been very patient, even offering to send him a new iron suited to his AUS voltage (how long has he lived there, what was he doing with an old 110V iron), but instead he just keeps on ranting ungratefully. Keeps the youtube and blog hits and adverts coming though.

Just ignore him, don’t encourage.

I could not disagree with you more, in every respect.

I think Tom is right, it’s mostly for views and to draw attention by exaggerating a small oversight.
Get a video to go viral, get a bunch of new audience following the channel, etc.

Obviously it would be great if it worked on both 110/220 but it clearly says it does not, and only comes with the NA connector.
It’s even in the name! WE1010 NA
NA = north america = 110V
I would expect everyone buying a $100+ high end soldering station to know the difference between 110 and 220V.

What’s worse, no fuse or a short double standard fuse?

Darwin will not be denied.

Amen!! :+1: At least a few will be eliminated from the gene pool…… :wink:

He said it was an honest mistake he is moving places and just plugged an iron in for a quick job (some thing i do all the time) didn’t notice it was a 110v iron. Like we have torches/flashlightes in plenty he would have electronics equipment the same. Probably has heaps of iron he leaves oscilloscopes on the floor he has so many.

Its meant to be fused to be sold in certain areas that’s why he was having a go. It doesn’t comply to the safety standards.

In a sense i understand cause weller should know better and the iron isn’t cheap. You expect better when you are paying more.

Total, utter tosh.

Are you defending this idiot, if so why ?

While I understand that you can’t expect 110 V device to work in 240 V country, I also agree that no primary side fuse (that would prevent destruction) is quite substandard in safety area. I have 4 old/new soldering irons and all of them have primary side fuse. Weller’s PR damage control was not handled well

He has a point it has no input protection! What if some one has a voltage spike while the iron is plugged in it just catches fire?

I can’t watch his videos. His voice drives me nuts.

There are two types of fuses:

- in the fuse box. To prevent the sum of loads in the house to exceed the capacity of the wiring in the house. And of the connection to the grid. On the gridside the power company puts in a fuse for the same reason. Fuses on the house side of the fuse box are 16Amp max. A typical connection to the grid is 1*35A or 3*25A.

- in electronic devices. To prevent power surges from the grid ruining delicate components. Appliances never (seldom) have a fuse. Machinery have their own dedicated fuse in the fuse box. Or a separate connection to the grid.

Most appliances on the mainland of Europe can cope with 240V/50hz. That’s why their plugs are standarised.
You are acting pretty retarded if you think different wall-plugs are just invented to boost the sale of travel-plugs.
They are there so you can’t plug in your device without thinking.

BTW the household voltage in NL is gradually increased in the substations from 380/220V to 400/230V.
Thus adding an extra 5% capacity to the grid without investment.

Ah one thing we forgot its not cabled as 110v or USA plug type its an IEC C14 plug 3 pin plug its pretty easy to make this mistake. Its an IEC standard plug on one end.

Agreed, that is one way to look at it. On the other side: afaik that connection is never meant to be used that way. Especially if the “female” side IN the device is connected to a print board.

Guys, it literally says NA in the name.
The guy making the video is an idiot if he “accidentally” plugged it into 240V.

He probably did it on purpose for views, and just claims it was an accident.

You are missing the point. No one argues about that. It is stupid to plug it into 240 V
BUT
that led to better inspection and it was found that it has no primary side fuse. And all that fuss is about that this was considered high quality manufacturer that sells quality goods. Not using that fuse is bad. Ignoring that and that PR response they sent was also bad. Even cheap crap that costs just a few bucks has the fuse, because for many people it is common sense.

I can happily say I don’t like Weller or Dave at Eevblog :smiley: