What kind of car do you drive, Would you buy it again?

You can always get the golf R lol. I think AWD is overrated for snow though unless you have a really big vehicle or 350+ hp. I live in canada, never been stuck in the snow once. As long as you can turn off traction control I’m good. If you look like youre stuck, traction control all the way off, first gear, spin the tires until they’re hot enough to melt your way up the hill lol.

Ground clearance is fine if you just don’t care about scratches but you do gotta put some mesh in front of the AC condenser otherwise it’s gonna get messed up. The condenser is way too low to the ground. They should’ve put a screen in front of it.

I never liked the WRX or STI interiors. And now the STI is gone anyways and the new WRX looks terrible from the outside too. It’s too bad cuz I think the interiors have gotten a lot better

That just wears your tire out.

Does it really hit 60?

I drive a Prius, 05, and it is starting to show its age. It consumes some oil - about 1qt/5000 miles, and the mileage has started to drop with age - down to 40-42mpg average from about 46 when I purchased it in 2013.

Super reliable though. With good tires, handles snow up to the depth it bottoms out at as well as anything else in its class. Hauls a lot for its size, too - when it was new, it was the only hybrid available with fold-flat rear seats.

I finally replaced the hybrid battery last year so I’m going to string it along for a few years yet. Though I work from home now, so I drive a lot less than I used to - average 300 miles per month for the past year.

I’d buy it again at the time - now I’d probably go with a PHEV of some sort, but Toyota again if possible.

I want to go Toyota for my next vehicle but they refuse to make working EVs whose wheels don’t fall off.

They still think this is the late 1990s and hybrids are the only future. I hope this changes soon (and not just lip service).

What are you talking about?
Toyota makes EVs, and I never heard about the wheels falling off.
They do start at about $40,000 though.

https://electrek.co/2022/06/23/toyota-recalls-bz4x-electric-cars-wheels-falling-off/

https://electrek.co/2022/08/03/toyotas-bz4x-recall-isnt-going-great-company-offers-car-buyback/

1 Thank

You do realize that the bZ4X isn’t their only EV.
Are you claiming that all EVs made by Toyota have this problem?
Just because one of their models has this problem, that doesn’t mean you cannot get a different EV model made by Toyota.

[quote]Are you claiming that all EVs made by Toyota have this problem?
[/quote]
No.

[quote=“raccoon_city, post:47, topic:217044, full:true”]
You do realize that the bZ4X isn’t their only EV.[/quote]

What other full EVs do they produce in volume at the present time?
Plug in hybrids are still hybrids so not “self charging EVs” as Toyota claims.

I currently drive a Toyota and would love to buy a compact Toyota EV in the future as i am not enthused by Hyundai’s sketchy quality nor Tesla’s right wing mouthpiece or GM’s storied history of cost cutting.

I am glad there are more EVs on the market vs a few years ago but if Toyota were to make something like an Echo or even Corolla EV i’d be all over it next time i need a new car. I hope they get with the program and do exactly this.

2 Thanks

Yes. Currently, it is 38-46 degrees F outside and I’m at 61.4MPG or so. If I’m doing 80 on the freeway for long distance it drops to low 50s, but I rarely do those kinds of drives. My buddy has an older Prius like you, which he loves, but it struggles to get 46. Usually less. My sister in law has the 4wd Prius, a new one, and it’s in the low 50mpg range unless it’s cold, then it’s worse. Curious, how many miles do you have on yours, when did you replace the hybrid battery, and what did that cost?

There used to be another one, but I cannot find information about it right now.
(Maybe they quit making the one I am thinking of.)

I found it!
It’s the Toyota RAV4 Prime, which I think can be run as EV only if you want.

This is a plug in hybrid with about 40 miles of electric range. Then it gets about 35mpg which is less than i get in my Echo.
Also its an SUV, not a compact car like the Echo or Corolla.

1 Thank

Oh, I didn’t realize that. :man_facepalming:
I guess if I could afford it, I would NOT get the Toyota RAV4 Prime.
Darn, that makes my dream car a Toyota hybrid, not a Toyota EV.

Plenty of reasons to be wary of Tesla outside of their CEO. They’re becoming the Apple of automobiles in regards to maintenance - hesitant to repair anything, refuse to sell numerous components, and when they can repair things it has to be at an oftentimes distant and overbooked service center.

1 Thank

Not only that, but Tesla cars are only have average reliability, as opposed to Toyota’s excellent reliability.

By the way, I have Starlink internet, so I don’t mind Elon Musk companies.
I used to really like Elon (because of Starlink), but the more I learn about him, the less there is to like.

Very true.
I would like a future Model 2 if the price is right but i am wary of the silicon valley mentality of build the beta version then fix it later.
Which in manufacturing means fix if its cost effective to do so otherwise the customer is hung out to dry.
Tesla is cutting edge which i like but that also means less reliable which i despise.
Early adopter means big potential risk.

Yeah, i do hope Toyota gets its act together, my preference for future vehicle is another Toyota, but if someone else better meets my needs i will move on.

EV’s do me no good at all. I stick to what has always worked for me.

2012 Ram 1500, 5.7L 4WD. Almost 200k and only had to put a starter on it and the normal wear stuff. Have to have the 4WD around here. They don’t really plow roads or do any kind of maintenance until it’s absolutely necessary.

2018 Subaru Legacy 2.5L AWD. Excellent car with a great AWD system, as long as you keep the traction control off.

Had two 2013 VW passat TDI’s. The wife wrecked the first one and I had a head on with a Semi on the highway. Damn car saved my life. Only beat up my leg a little. Only two wheel drive though so we got the Subaru to replace the VW.

We gave the daughter a 2006 Lexus IS250. We bought it new and just kind of kept it around. Has almost 300k on it. Just keep up on the maintenance and replace worn parts.

I’d buy any of those vehicles again in minute. Maybe this year I will give my boy my truck and buy a new one. Damn they are expensive though. Never thought I would have to spend 40k plus to get what I wanted on a truck. Some even nearing 100k.

More like subjective as ‘best’ is simply opinion and not much else. I’ve never cared for anything Vokesfoggen has produced and likely won’t start now.

Call me impressed that a Corolla will even hit 80 mph unless it’s being dropped out of an aircraft carrier, bwahaha!