What kind of car do you drive, Would you buy it again?

I was ran over by a Toyota
Oh what a feeling

1 Thank

Same! RAV4. Insurance payout was still decent. Would’ve preferred it was a jag tho. Hbu?

True, but adding an extra 200lbs of AWD system wears the tires out faster too. And the brakes. And the suspension. That and the extra drivetrain loss, the engine has to work harder to get the same power to wheels, so maybe the engine too. And you can’t get off the line quick without wrecking the transmission.

But it is nice when you get up around 350hp tho if you don’t want RWD. The GTI never has any torque steer but you do get wheel hop if you tune to stage 3. It’s pretty crazy how much power you can get to just the front wheels on car’s these days. I remember having a civic that would torque steer like crazy if you put your foot down in 2nd and it had like 110ft/lbs lol

Spinning your tires to warm them up and melt the snow does not sound like a reasonable thing to do.

A friend of mine used to tell me that after a night of drinking and subsequent hangover, the best thing to do the next morning is drink more.

Not to mention I think melting the snow can create ice. I imagine ice is more slippery than snow.

Right about 230K. I don’t drive it much. Replaced it last year at about 228K and did a road trip shortly after. It’s a green bean “refurbished” battery with a lifetime warranty. $2024

1 Thank

Funny, they are assuming the battery will outlast the car.

Yes, and they require the old battery as a core, so they get a full battery minus a few cells on every exchange.

Everyday- Chevy Avalanche
Fishing- Nissan Xterra
NIce days- Cadillac DTS

Love them all

There was a limited run of full EV RAV4 around 10 or so years ago. I think there was some legal issues with the battery maker so it was cancelled. I think only a little over 200 was sold.

True, you should probably also apply a little brake while they’re spinning if you can. Just enough to get some heat in them. Warm brakes, warm tires.

True, can’t be hungover if you never stop drinking. Good fact of the day.

Keep spinning, melt the ice.

How much experience do you have with real snow, your snow handling posts don’t work in real life.

If spinning tires will get you out of the snow, why would anyone ever use chains.

Only one tire spins, the one with the least traction.

Spinning tires gets you out of a jam in snow. Chains stop you from getting into that jam in the first place.

That being said, never used chains, rarely used snow tires. Obey the laws of physics and don’t speed will go a long way.

Cars/trucks without a Posi traction rear maybe.
But you can also get the other tire to grip by applying a little Ebrake with standard differential.

Most e-brakes are on the rear wheels and most cars in Canada are front wheel drive. More weight over the drive wheels makes it less likely to get stuck but when you do get stuck you are stuck.
Thats why you want winter tires, the traction is needed.

I always laugh at this vid. My car has the same engine so i know that sound, he is revving in the 5000rpm range and going nowhere.

Currently have a 2016 Camry Hybrid. Love the 40-50 mpg. Thinking about updating/upgrading because I don’t have all the “newer” safety features and I’m old. I’d also like something with a quieter ride that was still a non-plugin hybrid, but I don’t think it exists :stuck_out_tongue:

As a resident of the sunbelt I know this doesn’t work. A huge abandoned parking lot near my house is a great placed to do donuts practice driving on ice. A friend took his G37 out there and promptly got stuck. Tried slow starting in first, second gear. Dropped the clutch in second gear. Nothing happened for a minute. Got out and watched the wheels spin in second gear for another couple of minutes. I think I eventually got out and pushed after 5+ minutes and once he got it going he didn’t stop until he got home and decided that short of a dire emergency that car was just going to sit out the 1-2 iced over days we get per year.

On the other hand I learned that my daily at the time - a Mazda 3 - could just about rotate about the axis of the center console with the wheel hard over to one side and judicious application of the e-brake.

The new 2023 Accord Hybrid I test drove seemed pretty quiet to me, unless you floored it.

I was seriously considering it, but I didn’t want to deal with first production year teething issues.

Amateurs. You can’t turn the traction control all the way off in a g37. Even when it says it’s off its still there. Same thing with the GTI, you can’t turn the traction control all the way off either, normally, but if you have VCDS and a laptop you can. You can do almost anything. Very easy to access the ECU on VWs/audis. You can do it with your phone. Makes working on them really easy too. But that’s a seperate discussion. What I’m trying to say is i can turn traction control all the way off on mine and I can lock the front diff.

Anyways, but a few bags of road salt or sand in the trunk. Couple hundred pounds at least, and youll be less likely to get stuck the next time. Doesnt everyone know that trick? Also helps when you have to go up a snowy hill in a RWD car, you go up in reverse.

Btw, I’m not doing this like everytime I get in the car lmao. If I had to I would just get snow tires.
When I lived in Quebec I just had snow tires and never needed to do this. You were always just fine. But im just outside the GTA now, there’s no point. If I had to use this technique more than once or twice a year I’d just put snow tires back on. But I don’t, so I don’t, and I just have fun with the once or twice a year snowy burnouts.