What kind of screw is this?

Check for left handed threads?

I can say its hella cool…

hellacool

helical

Ah never mind.

Impact Driver ..But you will still need that elusive hammer .......

Give it hell

my goal is to repair it, its a portable steam cleaner i told a relative i would take a look at

I think it’s called U-type or something along those lines. I dont know the actual name but if you search “U Screwdriver” you’ll find what you’re looking for.
I know this cause i have this type of security screwdriver in my kit and I’ve used it before to open a milkshake blender thing LOL

The bit i have is called “U2.6” and the gap inbetween the two prongs is about 2.6mm

Or u can do what other said and file/remove the middle and use a flathead screwdriver

Whoops just realised someone already answered….waaaaaaay up top

You should really get a (cheap) Dremel (clone)! Should be around $40.- or so (?)
The cheap ones also spin round fast with a 135 Watt motor with ‘dimmer’ (speed control) and industrial ball bearings.
Just get the good bits and it’s just as good.
(O, and see to it you have goggles, because it usually (right handed use) casts the waste in your face… :smiley: )
You may not need it often, so it will last for years :slight_smile:

Jerommel has a point. You can probably get the real deal for ~60 USD which will get you “the good bits” right out of the box. I think you would find plenty of uses for a Dremel or clone.

Since it’s purpose is to keep the end user from disassembling the dingus, I’d have to say it’s a successful screw.

It has screwed you, anyway!

Sorry…

+1 on the “Buy the Security Bit toolkit”. I did for “Safety Torx”, “Safety Hex” and other dumbass fasteners like this. I almost never use it, but every time it’s worth what I paid for it.

If it were a successful screw it would be sealing in a working device, instead it is preventing repairs making it an obstructionist screw.

While you are correct in labeling it “obstructionist”, the screw has done most of its job. The DEVICE has failed, not the screw. If you buy a new device, the screw will be 100% successful!

Pity the device manufacturer spent more time figuring out how to keep you from fixing it, than in figuring out how to make it where it didn’t NEED fixing…

“Maytag” is dead. Long live the trash man!

(Which makes me wonder, when the sheepsfoot rollers at the landfill break down, where do they take them?)

i want the screw to fail, and i assume they take those compactors to a recycling facility at their EOL

What kind of screw is this?

from the above title, I thought this would be a thread about FT or BG..

:smiley:
I would have to change the title to “what kind of screwing is this,” in that case and “how long will paypal take to refund me, will it be faster then gearbest”

I think this has to be the easiest of all to make since everyone has multiple flathead bits laying around or a bad flathead they hate because it's already chewed up .Of all the multi tip kits you have to have a few flathead ones .Or they are in a cup buy the register for a buck ..If you don't have spares go knock on your neighbors door he has five .Sometimes being a minimalist is a bad idea .

I have the bits, just not the dremel

Maybe you have an angle grinder somewhere?
With one of them thin metal-cutting discs you can also do it.
You need speed for this…

no angle grinder, i do have a cordless drill but it does not have speed, 700rpm if i remember correctly and no bit that can grind, just screw bits and drill bits.

Have you already put a drop of light penetrating oil/light solvent around the heads so it has had time to seep down along the threads? That will make the screws come out easier. Give it at least overnight.

Test any solvent you use on the plastic though. Don’t make soup.

Do yourself a favor and get a dremel, it is a very useful tool to have, the variable speed one from Harbor freight is awesome, had it for years and works like a champ