What light do you use most?

During the work day it’s either my iTP R01, SolarForce Z2 or triple XP-G 3D Mag (running on a MagCharger battery) depending on how much light I need. Probably 30-90 minutes on time a day.

At home it’s my rotation of small lights, Ultrafire WF 602C with an XM-L2 7D4, iTP SA1 with a Nichia 219, L3 Illumination L10C Nichia or Nitecore SENS CR with a Nichia 219 on Li-Ion. Maybe 15 minutes a day.

All of this is subject to change depending on my mood.

Solarforce L2M with Copper base nichia 219b emitter

My constant companion is a Preon 2, used several times a day, though usually for only a few seconds to find something in the back of a dark drawer or under a truck seat. It’s always in my shirt pocket, and thus the first thing I reach for.

Otherwise, there’s always an Olight S20 in a pants pocket or a P60 something-or-other in a coat pocket. A winter favourite is a Convoy L1, running 2x18650 under an LD29 driver. It lives in my truck, and offers excellent run times in case I were faced with an unscheduled night or two in the bush.

A tip on pocket-carry for an S10 / S20 :

-Get a white, 1” plastic chair leg protector (4/$1.00 in a bargain store near you). They’re the cup shaped ones that fit onto the tubing-legged chairs.

-Thin the closed end with sandpaper (or a disc grinder or a chop saw) to allow as much light through as you choose.

-Cut a square notch halfway down one side to accommodate the clip.

-It fits snugly onto the lens end, and both protects the lens and acts as a very compact diffuser. Pop it of with your thumb for full use of the light. Give the tail cap 1/8 of a turn to lock it out, and it carries very nicely.

Whatever is in my pocket. Either a Sunwayman V11R, a Brinyte ED30 or an ED10 (all single battery 16340 or 14500). Ive stopped carrying 18650s.

Mine changes. Recently, it has been the AAA stainless from the group buy. Before that, olight s80 with diffuser, olight s20 with gitd wand, olight s10, and nitecore p12. In terms of real use, I probably use less than 5 minutes per day, but I spend more time testing different lights every day.

Modded TrustFire F20:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/13006

Factory driver,emitter replaced with a CW U2-bin XM-L and a LOP reflector. Nice and bright on high, some PWM but good runtime on low. Gets warm quickly on high when used with a freshly-charged 14500. Can be used with Alkaline or NIMH if needed, but at greatly reduced brightness. Pocket clip and smooth body are big selling points for this EDC, nothing to snag and no edges to wear holes in pockets. Been carried since Nov. 2012. Anodization is holding up well, just enough wear to give it some character. I'll need to get a pic uploaded sometime...

Been through several occassions where I thought I lost it but it's always turned back up. No idea how much I use it every day, but I find the occasional days where I forget it, then am constantly finding myself reaching for it but feeling empty because it's missing.

right now a dqg aaa mini blf edition (neutral white)

Fenix pd35, xintd c8 and Convoy s8 with qlite 4-mode. Combined, I use them about 10 minutes a day. Once I build the Convoy s2 with triple xp-l that I currently have in mind, that will probably top my most used list.

build me one, hehe

Current setup:
CNQG brass ver. 1 & Akoray K-102 (10440, almost retired, replaced by Tank E09 before my sister take the Tank :slight_smile: ) for edc.
Olight S15 (14500) and L10 on bed side.
XinTd C8 XM-L2, DQG 26650 & Crelant CH10 (all NW) for daily use, roughly 20-30 minutes per day.

before I used a Fenix LD0 and now a Tank007 E09.
The Fenix AAA is a very good light, I used it for many years but the Tank007 has newer emiter, less heat with 10440 and price/quality ratio…

The AAA form factor make it a perfect EDC.
In my backpack I have a Convoy S6. I could have prefered the Roche F6, it’s a very good light but but Convoy have DrJones firmware with modes I want (my modes!)

fenix LD10, about one hour, each day.

Nitecore EZAA for backup.

SF L2 /w stainless head (shaven bezel) in my car, two minutes once a week (to search for the fenix)

the SF Z2 I’ve just given away, two weeks before, along with a 2nd gen eneloop - not because I didn’t like it, but I do have a habit of donating torches to people I like. Three more are in the mail (can you ever have enough lights?)

Single mode, cut and shut xiaozhi D4
Totally reliable used around a hour a day, got through a 18650 today so that’s about 3 hours.
Dedomed XML-2 4D driven at 1amp.
10* TIR.
Most useful light ever.

My EDC tends to be my most used light and it varies over time.

Currently, it’s my heavily modded Aleto N8.

This is a small sideswitch zoom flashlight. It’s smaller and shorter than Sipik 68, but is much brighter, has more throw in spot mode, and a much wider beam in flood beam. It features the following:

• Runs on one 18650
  • Driver: Nanjg 105c with Comfychair FET mod and DrJones lumodrv firmware.
  • Emitter: Dedomed XML2 3A tint on direct copper star.
  • copper heatsink added below the star
  • tailcap switch removed and electronic sideswitch added.
  • 18mm plastic aspheric lens removed and replaced with 20mm short focal length PMMA fresnel lens.
  • AR coated glass lens added on top of the fresnel to protect the fresnel and keep it clean.
  • Modified head, bezel ring, body and tailcap to shorten the entire light by 16mm. Length of modded light is 91mm.
  • Type II gold colored anodizing stripped and replaced with grey duracoat paint.
  • Rubber sleeve added around body tube to increase grip.

The only power tool used to make this mod was a simple drill. No drill press or anything else. Lots of work with a handfile and some with a hacksaw.

My other light that gets lots of use is my $12 headlight. I modded the driver and emitter on the headlight. Having a good headlight is very useful.

I know that feeling when my F20 is missing, friend :slight_smile: For me it is also the TrustFire F20 modded with NW T6-3C on copper MCPCB with custom made direct thermal path. I also used a nicer driver because the original died, fixed sealing and added a piece of shrink tube on the clip (replacing the worn out shrinktube is a nice ritual of mine :smiley: ). I’m using TF flame 14500 and after a year it still has 750mAh+ discharge capacity.

There’s a flashlight user!

At work I did use a Strion - never was happy with it. Replaced that with Fenix PD35. Right now using the Eagle Eye F30 for last week.

On average, I use about 5 hours every night (3 hours minimum to 9 hours max). We do a lot (and I do mean lots) of momentary on. I have yet to have to change a Panasonic 3400. The Strion could not go through the night.

A note about the Eagle Eye lights..I guess the X2 and F30 are like Convoy S (don't have any) but I can honestly say that not only do their lights have some heft but there anodizing is tough as hell. My Fenix had wear on day 1...these do not.

I also have an F35 that I was going to use but one of my friends that liked my PD35 had re-appropriated it and consequently is now the owner of the F35 LOL. At $25..can't go wrong.

You know, I would take you up on that (had you been serious) except that I’m going to use the BLF17DD driver, never built one before, and I don’t have a hot air reflow station. Soooooooo, it should be interesting. :wink: We’ll see how many components I fry in the process. :bigsmile: Just waiting for RMM to get some spacers in stock (hopefully copper ones so I can solder them to the pill).

I want to see how yours turns out and I just might be serious. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s insane you’re telling us that still produces light?! No need to worry about the fragility of dedomed emitters anymore… !