What light do you use most?

Yeah I shoulda done that… Might still.

But what I would rather do is build a triple XP-L from mtn! I ordered everything but the heatsink spacer and the XP-Ls :frowning: now just waiting for him to get the leds in Stock to ship to me…

My most-used light has somewhat transitioned through various phases of modding. Started out using an L2N all the time, then moved to several C8’s… and now I’ve been making a few 3-up XP-L lights lately, and I can’t imagine a more useful light. I’ve made three to date, got the parts for two more on the way.

One of them I could probably stand to get rid of if someone is super interested in trying this form factor out — it’s a Warsun Mini 5 with a homemade copper spacer soldered to the brass pill. It’s pulling a little over 3A at the tail (I had it pulling 4.35 for a while, and really could not notice any light increase with my eyes compared to a S2+ pulling 3.05A at the tail… I had to check it with a multimeter to make sure I wasn’t going crazy). It just got hotter than the S2+ at 3.05A.

The Warsun fits only unprotected batteries, which I find mildly annoying, but it’s running like a champ on laptop pulls at the moment. It’s heavy - way thicker walls than an S2/S3, plus it’s got the added mass from the copper pill inside. I dunno how comfortable it’d be to carry in a pant pocket (seriously, it’s kinda heavy for its size. perfect EDC size, though). I have absolutely positively no idea at all what something like this would be worth. I am wholly in love with this form factor/setup though. The LEDs are XP-L V5 2A dedomed to fit under a carlco 10507. Driver is a Qlite from RMM’s shop. MCPCB is AA’d to the copper so it won’t spin the wires. Also added an o-ring between the carlco and the lip on the head so it could possibly be waterproof. Not about to test that, as I love the light the way it is.

That’s all to say that these EDC 18650 lights with 3 XP-Ls are about the most perfect everyday lights I can imagine. If you’re planning to build one, I’d recommend just sticking a plain qlight/105c with 8x7135’s in there. I could not for the life of me tell a difference in output with four more 7135’s added running on an unprotected, fully-charged panasonic 18650PF. It showed 4.35A at the tail, so I know it was working properly… just looked like the same exact amount of light as one of my other lights at 3.05A. Also it got hotter. A lot hotter.

Hard to believe, but yeah. My S2 mod is great but it’s large in comparison and just not as convenient. The S20 might not be as bright but outside of that it’s just about the perfect light IMO. :smiley:

Currently it’s a P60 light using the Ultrafire U-504b host (love the look) with a custom 4 mode (firefly) XP-G2 R4 5A2 dropin driven @3.04A made by bushwhacked . The clicky is modded for more current and reliability. This is the most compact power thrower i’ve seen so far, it throws as far as a stock XinTD X3! I love it! :slight_smile:

[edit]
Forgot: I use it minimum ~10-15 minutes/day, when i go nightcaching it sums up to ~2-3 3400mAh Panasonics/night.

I carry my Solarforce L2P, with my homebuilt hard-driven (6x7135) nichia 219 drop-in clipped to my Jeans, that light sees most use at the moment, around 30-60 min a day i think.

When not wearing my Jeans, there is a convoy S3 on the couch, also with a nichia 219. Driven conservately at around 1400 ma.

My most used lights are (1) modded 502B with dedomed XM-L2 from 18sixfifty, (2) SWM D40A NW and (3) Quark Pro QPA Gen2. I use the 502 mainly outdoors when i move stuff from my van to my car and vice versa. The D40 to add light in the dining room while eating dinner. My Quark when i go to bed and wifey is already sleeping and when i go to the bathroom to take a leak maybe 3-4x per night.

A T12 from intl-outdoor.com , with Qlite 8x7135, Noctigon + XML2 T6 4C (the nicest tint), set to 3 mode.
Very similar to the Convoy S3 from Fasttech , but the tail is different (holes on one side only).

Lightly sanded down around the tailcap, to smooth edges, which removed anodizing there to give a more industrial look.

Also a BLF lanyard (where can I get more of these, as Manafont is gone ?), and it still tailstands.

Very happy with this little light.

As I posted elswhere I dont know a thing about this shop but they are advertising the BLF Lanyard.

http://www.tigermarket.eu/The-BLF-Lanyard-p-507890

Let us know how you go if you purchase any.

OH HELLS YEAH!!!
ah dang…UK only??

clicked on “Buy Now” and it tries to go to Manafont. :frowning:

With Sportac dropin!

Looks like some sort of scam that links to other websites. Sorry for leading you up the garden path.

The sun… J)

As far as LED goes… several hours. All the lights in my house are LED… J)

i know, i read the long thread :wink:
Most of mine are LED now too, $6 with tax or less per bulb, but all are 60W equivalent, i have (3) 23W CFLs i have not replaced since they are currently working fine and 100W equivalent LEDs cost too much (more than $6 each)

As of summer 2016 my most used lights are:

1. Olight S15. I use it as a bed side lamp almost everyday. It has held up very well and has good run times. Yes we have regular table lamps but the S15 is so convenient.
  2. Lumintop Tool AAA. So light and easy to carry. Reiliable and bright.

All the rest i consider work lights or toys.

BLF A6!

How times change. When I first posted in this thread in 2014 my triple 219B Convoy S2 was my most used light. Fast forward 18 months and I can’t even remember when I last used that light properly.

Most used now would be a tie between my custom 1xAA camo/black minimag with triple XP-L HI 3D emitters, FET+1, Niteize clicky switch and my Tool AAA with a dedomed XP-G2 S2 0D and 12mm FET.

You have to show us how you modded the tool aaa. It is so small. :slight_smile:

It’s a pretty common mod around here I think. It’s small but it’s pretty straight forward. I pulled the pill out, machined a small chunk of copper which filled the inside of it, used a 10mm Cu Sinkpad and a 12mm FET driver which I filed to fit into the pill. Some 24AWG Turnigy wires and it was done.

Richard over at Mtn Electronics now sells a driver which is plug and play and doesn’t require filing. That makes the mod even easier.

I mostly carry Novatac 120T and Olight S1 Baton, plus a Fenix E05 stored in my messenger bag.

For today, my main flashlight is Olight S30R II.