What lights do you EDC? What do you look for in an EDC light? Which is your favorite?

I’ve been on a quest lately to find the perfect EDC light. For me, it is a light that fits comfortably in my left pocket, has a pocket clip, and uses a latest generation emitter (XM-L2, XP-G2, 219, etc). To be comfortable, it needs to be small both width and length wise, as well as fairly light weight. For me, I try and keep the light under 26mm wide and 100mm long. Rechargeable is preferable, yet not a requirement. This limits my options mostly to AAA, AA, CR123, and 16340 powered lights.

Right now I have the following:
Fenix PD22 G2
Crelant V31A XM-L2 U2

I have these on the way:
DQG 18650 (barely fits my dimensional requirements, might exceed weight…Will find out on Tuesday when I pick it up)
Sunwayman R10A
Sunwayman R10R
Zebralight SC52w

I also have the following but I don’t use them for EDC because of the listed reason:
Maratac Copper CR123 (no pocket clip)
L3 Illumination L10 XP-G2 white (pocket clip does not stay attached, scratches white paint very easily)
Thrunite Saber Saber 1A T10 BLF Edition (no pocket clip)

So far the Fenix PD22 G2 is my favorite because it hits almost every mark. It has a nice neutral tint, is small, well built, has an excellent mode selection interface, as well as an impeccable beam (much better than the PD22 S2). My only complaint is that it does not support 16340’s, so it rotates with my Crelant V31A, which does support 16340’s. I dont like the construction of the Crelant as much. It is larger, yet it weighs less than the PD22 G2, which gives me the impression it is more cheaply made. I understand this is not supported by any fact, yet it always lingers in my mind. I also am not a fan of the switch and mode selection. The switch does not protrude out very far from the back of the light and the raised bezel around the switch makes it slightly less accessible. Once the DQG, Sunwaymans, and the Zebralight come in, I will have more lights to play with and rotate with daily use. I have a feeling the PD22 G2 is still going to come out on top, but the search shall never end.

So back to my original question: What lights do you carry with you every day? What do you look for in an EDC light? If you had to choose one EDC light based on your own criteria, which one would you carry?

My current EDC is a XIAOZHI XML T6 3C with a deep carry clip .

Before that it was the Balder SE-1 XML T6 3C .

Both lights are easy to carry and have a great beam profile and tint .

Here is a pic of both . The XIAOZHI isn't that much bigger than the SE-1 .

Itp A3 EOS. Simply because I can clip it into my shirt pocket and never know it’s there until I need it.
For clipping to my pants pocket, I will be using my Nitecore EC25.
Shiningbeam S Mini is a good choice if I want a smaller and lighter pants carry light than the EC25.

I carry mine clipped to the inside front pocket of my pants. The things I look for are:

• Compact size. I prefer CR123A/16340 and after that 14500 lights. Only one 18650 light makes my cut and that's the Olight S20 Baton.
  • Pocket clip so it doesn't ride at the bottom with my coins, lighter, and pocket knife.
  • Versatile output. Needs to have the lowest lows and great output on high.
My favorites:
  1. Jetbeam RRT01
    Why? Infinite output from the lowest low on the market to 500 lumens. 0.005 lumen low ramping up to 500 lumens thanks to a super smooth magnetic infinitely variable control ring. Super compact size. Pocket clip. Water tight. No green tint at any output setting. No PWM. HAIII ano and solid, top-notch build quality.
    Why not? Absolutely no reason at all. Frankly, it is the perfect flashlight IMO.
  2. Nitecore EC1
    Why? One of the smallest. Truely versatile pocket clip. Electronic UI with great versatility and hidden blinky modes. Decent output range. No PWM. Excellent build quality. Water tight. Voltage readout.
    Why not? None really. In second place only because it doesn't have the infinitely variable output of the RRT01.
  3. Olight S20 Baton.
    Why? One of the smallest 18650 compacts available. Less than 1/2" longer than the DQG Tiny 18650. Pocket clip. Electronic switch and great UI. Moon low and great high. No PWM. Superb build quality. Water tight.
    Why not? Green tinted output at all levels.

I’ve carried a few lights for EDC. Here’s a list, from most recent on down to some first lights I carried.

• DQG 18650 T6 3C (Front pants pocket clip on)
  • Balder SE1 T6 3C (Front pants pocket clip on)
  • XIAOZHI T6 3C (Front pants pocket clip on)
  • Tank007 E009 (Front pants pocket)
  • UF 18650 XM-L zoomie w clip (Front pants pocket clip on, slightly shorter than XIAOZHI)
  • MXDL 3W 16340 twistie modded w T6 3C (Front pants pocket)

In winter months, I usually have an extra light in my inside jacket pocket, XIAOZHI-sized.
I also always have a Thrunite TiS on the keychain.

DQG Tiny 18650 NW in cargo pocket and L3 Illumination L10 Nichia 219 with keys.

I agree with everything JohnnyMac said - if the S20 had a better tint, it would be unbeatable.
Another light that rides constantly in my shirt pocket is a Preon 2 Ti, sometimes switched off with an earlier version Preon 2 high CRI. I use one or the other every single day.
I’ll often take a more ‘throwy’ light if I anticipate the need, and there are WF-501Bs sprinkled in every truck and toolbox, but the S20 and the Preons handle 99% of my actual needs. The rest are just for fun!

Just ONE light? Probably the S20.

I carry an Olight i1 EOS (which replaced my old ITP A1 EOS). These have proven to be ultra-reliable and allow me to EDC a variety of cheapo lights that I’ve modded that might not function in the rare case that I actually need to see in the dark.

- PG

Previous light: Quark 1xAA Tactical head/non-tactical switch and deep pocket clip.

Set it to two modes, min and max and it's perfect for me.

Cons: pocket clip catches on things, pre-flash, cool tint

Current light: Incendio V3U+

It's not my brightest light but I guess because of it's tiny size it surprises me when I turn it on.

Cons: slightly recessed switch is uncomfortable to use in a hammer grip, should have waited for the warm tint to be re-stocked (my fault)

I alternate between my DQG 18650 and my Eagletac D25c clicky clipped to my right front pants pocket and carry my ITP A3 in my left pants pocket. I also carry my Preon 2 Ti in my shirt pocket. I also have a Streamlight Nano on my keychain. I have the Zebralight SC600 MK2 on order. When it comes in I hope to work it into my rotation with my Tiny and Eagletac.

I know it is a little strange having 3-4 lights on you at a given time but oh well. Lol.

Jetbeam RRT01 and eagletac d25c are my favorites.

my $11 ultrafire zoomie. lightweight ompared to my tr3t6, but if I’m going more than just out shopping, the 3t6 comes along too

Current EDC combo:

Xeno E03 XM-L and Tank007 E09

Nitecore EC1

Most used light is my iTP SA1 Eluma, swapped the XP-G for a 219. Decent throw for a small light, nice low and well built. I don’t use the ramping often and have no use for the strobe. I like having the side switch for modes.

I also carry a Nitecore SENS CR. Used when I want more flood than the iTP, swapped the XP-G for a 219 on that one too.

BLF Mini (Trustfire Mini-01) and a DQG AA on keyring.
Either one of those gives enough light to get me to a larger torch !

Convoy S2
Qlite
XML u3 + sink pad
AR lens
Deep carry pocket Clio from ft.

Just recently got a t6 4c from ft, love the tint. I am thinking of using another in an s3 I have

Well, I just ordered an Olight S10 Baton made from titanium. I think I am probably going to purchase a Jetbeam RRT-01, but I am hemming and hawing at the light a little because its still first gen XM-L.

Clipped in pants pocket usually is one of these:

- Sunwayman V10R XML

- Sunwayman V10R XP-G

- Jetbeam BC10

- Jetbeam BC20

• Nitecore IFE2

On neck there is an iTP A3 EOS Titanium.

In waistbag, for the last couple of months, is a Solarforce L2P/L2X with Ultrafire 3mode XML dropin.

For my next pocket flashlight I am looking for:

- Uses a 18650 battery

- Forward clicky with momentary on

- Preferably, it can be used for signaling without switching modes (so it needs some kind of a secondary mode switch)

- Can be turned on directly to max

- XML with 500+ lumens on max (It would be nice to have a ~200 medium, a 50-70 low and a 10-20 lumens low low but I can live with other lumen settings too)

- No disco modes or hidden disco modes

- Sturdy pocket clip

- It should not, ever, turn on in my pocket by mistake

- It must tailstand

- IPX-8 (I don’t even carry a flashlight that hasn’t spent at least 30 minutes in my sink without leaking)

• It must be a dependable high quality flashlight

It would be nice to have (but not necessary):

• Fully variable output by a magnetic ring (or an electronic switch if it can memorize the lumen settings of all my selected modes)

In a few words, I am looking for a 18650 version of Sunwayman V10R XML or an XML version of Nitecore IFE2 :bigsmile:

Jetbeam RRT-01 in my pocket.

and also Thrunite ti with carabiner