What sets the inexpensive apart from the expensive?

A recent phone call prompted the topic of this thread. Another Deputy on my shift called me up to ask my opinion on a particular light he was thinking about getting for on-duty. I looked up the website he gave me and it was a nice flashlight but the price was, in my opinion, quite high. The low-end version of the light was $130 and the high end over $400. I explained to him that I’m NOT an expert on flashlights but was happy to show him what I’ve been using. For the last few years I’ve carried a Sipik on duty in the cargo pocket of my uniform TDU’s. And I have several clones in my EDC/GHB/BOB and for camping. I’ve simply been very impressed with these lights. They’ve been knocked around in my pocket (I literally have to go hands on with bad guys on an all to often regularity with this in my pocket and it just keeps shining like a champ), they’re the brightest light that I have (I use either a 14500 or 18650 accordingly) and well…they’re so inexpensive I’ve purchased a bunch for personal use as well as nifty little gifts for family. I just purchased 10 on Amazon for $35.

So my question would be; in what way is a $100 - $400 light better that this $4 flashlight? The little Sipik just does everything I ask of it and if it were to break or get lost…well heck, I’m out less than $4 and I just go grab another one out of the drawer. Thoughts appreciated and thank you.

Most of us in this forum will share your opinion, that is why we are here :slight_smile:
Anyway, I assume your sipik model is an sk68 (based on the price you said)… I personally prefer, if the intention is going cheap, a cheap p60 host (I.e. 502b) with one or a couple of drop-ins, or even better, a host for every drop-in, they are very cheap

Quality. Workmanship. Design. Durability. Rarity. Desirability. Marketing.

Why a Mercedes and not an (insert favourite brand here)
Why Rolex and not Seiko or even Casio?
Why leather and not vinyl?

Do you prefer dirt cheap firearms, or a variant of known quality?
Local Police here seem to use LED Lensers.

price?

I don’t consider a SK68 clone disposable.
Pop in a better LED and a proper 14500 and you have a great little light.

Got my Jacob A60 just in.
$10.—
Good enough built quality for me.

Convoy C8 on its way. 14 bucks or something.
Why would I pay more for a 8x 7135 driven XM-L2?

But then again, I’m not rich, I don’t use lights professionally, nor does my life depend on it.
I’m a modder. I prefer to pimp a cheap light, even if it isn’t even cheaper or better in the end… :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s just a hobby.

"What sets the inexpensive apart from the expensive?"

Your Budget.

There are plenty of $30+ Sipiks out there with crazy marketing.
Its up to the consumer to discern what is important to look for in the “torch”.

Love my Surefires, but I didn’t ( and wouldn’t) buy them New.
My Solarforces are just as good.

I’m guessing your buddy was looking as a LED Lenser? That’s their price range.

I understand why some lights cost $400+: mcclicky’s, the hand built dark-sucks, but a mass produced $130 led Lenser getting marked up $300 cause of a T.A.D. stamp on it is pretty ridiculous of you ask me.

In my opinion diminishing marginal returns and marketing are why we have super expensive lights. This applies to many things in life. For example a Porsche can be 4 times the price of a Corolla, but both get you from point A to B.

The interesting thing is that some very expensive lights give less performance than cheaper ones, but that’s another story.

Intelligent design over shortcut compromises, close tolerance on machining(especially in the pill), quality anodizing, high quality switches that can handle designed current loads, quality AR lenses and properly focused reflectors.

Many budget hosts are adequate for relatively low power usage but when you mod them for more power the flaws become apparent. The pill threads are sloppy so heat doesn’t transfer well. The switch is poorly designed and the internal spring weakens, causing failure. Loss of output from cheap glass lens and artifacts in beam from uneven deposition on reflector or wrong profile.

Most of these can be fixed for less than the cost of a non budget light so some of us mode because we’re cheap while others just want ready made. Some of us are constitutionally incapable of leaving well enough alone :slight_smile: and for those it can make sense to start with something easily gutted.

Some things are harder or more expensive to fix so learning about all the parts of a light and how they interact will help you decide where to put your $. Read reviews. Good ones include a tear down of the light to expose any weaknesses.

Bottom line, do what floats your boat.

the people at the keyboard setting the price :stuck_out_tongue:

I would not consider an SK68 to be a good light, low output and little throw (assuming thats the sipik your referring to), for a 1AA light i would go with a Klarus P1A, more lumens, more throw, but lithium opens up a whole new ballgame, a Convoy M1 is hard to beat and for under $50 you can have the light, a couple quality batteries and a good charger (but you have to know how to take care of the batteries).

I think the biggest difference in budget to expensive is aluminum/ano quality and the driver circuitry, the battery is the same, and the LED is the same.

Yep. That’ll be it every time…………… :smiley:

The prefix “in”.

High quality lights might be more durable, waterproof, have higher output, extra modes, etc.

An example is that Niwalker Nova in another thread. It’s about the size of a soda can but outputs over 5000 lumens… equal to the output of 5 car headlights. It’s enough to light up an entire football field. Can’t do that with a Sipik 68.

Another example are lights from HDS… they’re supposedly built like tanks. I saw a video of one being repeatedly thrown onto concrete from 30’ up and it didn’t break.

Of course if you lose or break a premium light it hurts a LOT more than if you do the same with a Sipik.

I bought an BTU Shocker 1 year ago, and while it has decent build quality, when i bought my TK 75, now all of a sudden the shocker looks like a toy, seriously, lens are so much better, alot harder to scratch (tough) the driver is a different class, the construction is alot better, the UI, the front placed button - quality of it when you press it, (feedback) the machining and threads, i wont even go there….its a totally different class

Same goes for most of the flashlights…yes they are good quality flashlights on the cheap, that’s why we are on this forum, but once you own high end flashlights its so hard to go few steps backwards……it spoils you.

That seems to fit an entirely different role though. A Sipik-style light can easily fit in a pocket comfortably, or an EDC like a Maxi pocket organizer. This doesn’t look like it would be all the comfortable or convenient in that role. And looking at the price tag of over $300, well I’d have to take a pass. Not that I couldn’t afford it, I just wouldn’t want to. So far, a Sipik-style is working for on-duty, around the house and out in the deep woods. Really can’t ask more of a light.

Machining
Square threads
Copper LED base
Thicker emitter wires,
Annodization
AR Lens
Heat Sinking
Proper use/quantity of thermal paste
Thoughtful UI
Quality switches
Annodized threads
No fingerprints/grime on the lens, reflector and emitter
Specs listed in full detail which are adhered to…

It can also depend how many people are “stepping on it”. In other words…is the manufacturer selling them direct, or are there several middle-men (reps/distributors/retail outlets), adding their margin to the light.

But…it can also be an advantage. Mass producing lights for a re-seller can cheapen the price…but…of course…quality can go out the window.

Apples-to-apples, after you find your expensive “name-brand” flashlight, for sale (perhaps with Minimum Order Quantities in the hundreds, yes; but as likely with an MOQ of 1) on the wholesale sites like Alibaba, at “pennies-on-the-Amazon-dollar” prices, the Knowledge just roars.

You could do your Engineering homework, order a batch of “one-each per co-worker” (or two each), and get the same exact body with the same exact LED and driver, made by the same exact person on the same exact line, and still pay as much or less-than a single unit through the “name brand” channel… But you have to work for it!

If you don’t trust the manufacturer’s rep (likely the only English-speaking person in the building), they are often happy to provide a sample or two, if you’re willing to offer your commitment to buy IFF what they provide matches their specs. Needless to say, they won’t “just give” any of their products to some random SHPOS who asks for one…

Been there, did that, got the T-shirt. The samples ranged from “soup to nuts”, but most were salable. And if you ever need to repair your beauties, it’s likely, by then, the “Brander” and their reseller channel will no longer have replacement parts, so you’d have to go find the OEM anyway, or throw your investment in the recycle bin. At least recycling Aluminum costs less (to society) than mining Bauxite and converting it.

As you may expect, Knowledge is danged hard to acquire (if it were easy, everyone would be doing it), but eradicating belief is worth the effort to me.

Just my $250.00 (costing $0.02) worth.

Dim

For the vast, vast majority of us, budget lights are great because you get 90% of the performance at 10% of the price and that represents a great value. That said, if I had a job where my life literally depended on my flashlight, as your’s apparently does, there is only one brand of light I would buy- Surefire.

I’m too lazy to retype all of this, so I’ll just quote it from where it was first posted. For the full context of the discussion, just click the link.

“Amatueurlife, here’s a news flash and some flashlight philosophy. Every flashlight company has failures. Some more than others. Some less. In the end, they all produce lemons at some point.

There are Surefire fanboys who will tell you that those flashlights are the absolute best production lights available. Perhaps they are. But, if that is true, it isn’t because of the flashlights themselves. Though the rate of failure is relatively low, they can fail too. I have some personal experience in this regard. They are also slow to innovate.

So, what makes a Surefire a premium light? Their warranty and the associated customer service. You pay up front, not for an innovative light, or a 100% reliable light, but for the assurance that come heck or high water, they’ll make it right on those rare occasions when something happens.

Then there are some near premium flashlight companies like 4sevens, Sunwayman, and Fenix that blow Surefire out of the water in terms of outright innovation, come sort of close to Surefire in terms of CS, and have a fairly low failure rate. It’s best to wait for these lights to go on sale right before Christmas for them to be great deals. You can often find them deeply discounted.

A 4sevens on sale or an EagleTac at the normal street price? The answer should be clear.

Then there are flashlight companies in the middle. Nitecore, Jetbeam, Olight, Eagletac, etc. that have pretty good quality, but where you are starting to really roll the dice in terms of CS in the event that anything happens.

In my personal experience, Nitecore is especially bad. And since you are now dealing with lights that are mostly purchased from overseas, you ability to get satisfaction is severely compromised. Even if they will take a light back, the shipping will be cost prohibitive in most cases.

Then there are the budget brands. Solarforce, Ultrafire, Trustfire, Romisen, etc. where you can still get very good performance and some innovation, but are likely to have a lesser build quality from the get go. For the most part, you can forget about any of them helping you out if the light takes a dive.

I own lights from all four categories, and if my life depended on the performance of my flashlight, I’d only choose Surefire. Since it doesn’t, nor does it for the vast majority of flashlight users, I think that the best value in lights today comes from the budget category. It is from this group that you get 90% of the performance at 15% the cost and that is really a great value IMNSHO.

Will you have a very slightly higher failure rate than with the lights from one category up (i.e., the middle category)? In my experience, no, not really. Will you get CS service any worse than you would from one category up? No, it will still be below par. You won’t lose anything in this regard by going budget. Is there going to be a little bit less pride of ownership than if you purchased from the middle? Maybe, but lots of budget lights are actually pretty nice. Regardless of all that, when something goes wrong, one thing is for certain, the low initial cost will surely take the sting out of it.

If I was not so inclined to be a cheapskate, I’d buy from the near premium brands.

No matter what, I’d avoid those in the middle. The worse place to find value in the flashlight world is from those pretenders in the middle. Remember, it is the middle of the road where you are most likely to get run over. With the exception of the Olight i-series, nothing but disappointment can be found there.

So, in answer to your questions…

amateurlife said: ↑
Is this stuff common among other companies?
Should I even try to see this through?
Are there better lights than the D25LC2 in the $60 range?

Taken in turn-

Sadly, yes it is more common than it should be, which is why these middle companies should be avoided.

Of course you should see it through. I’d send them a very polite, yet sarcastic letter, with a link to this thread and remind them of the power of social media.

Yes. And no. The real question is, are you willing to risk another $60 rolling the dice?

If you are a person who only has a few lights, I’m talking, say, less than three, I’d save my money and buy from the top two categories as I’ve laid them out. Maybe even supplement the small collection with some budget lights.

If I was on a tight personal budget, or if I intended to amass a collection of lights, I’d mostly stick to the budget category. Given where you live, I’d buy some hot rod Romisens from Shingbeam and have three or four new lights on my doorstep by the middle of next week.”

So there you have it Deputy Dave. A little flashlight philosophy from the Cone. Budget lights are truly wonderful. The only thing you really give up most of the time is a little pride of ownership and a little build quality, but overall, you get way more than you pay for.

Still and all, if I were a professional gunfighter like you, I’d go all in on a Surefire.