What Soldering Station to buy?

https://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-AO936-AOYUE-Soldering-Station/product-reviews/B000VINMRO/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&sortBy=recent

I ordered this cause I was in a bind. Had to wait for what I really wanted to re-stock, it would have cost about 5 times more. I say would have because once this arrived and I used it a few times I really noticed no real difference in it and the model I was waiting to re-stocking outside of the size.

I have used it for about 6 months now with \out an issue at all. I can turn it on right now and verify the temperature and it is dead on every time. I already had a dozen or more tips. I took my name off the waiting list for the Hakko I was waiting on.

I've been doing a LOT of reading about the HAKKO brand, and based on feedback ratings, they're over rated, over priced, the digital programming GUI's are apparently a PITA,

the cheaper models (some/example FX888d) do not have tip temp sensors, and the units are too light-weight to stay in place where they are put. I've more reading to do.

Thanks everyone who has replied so far.

"Tips the coffee cup" :)

I'm currently researching "house brands" for, reliability, parts availability, quality, etc.

When I look into feedback, I like initial comments, but people that do a later (hands-on) "what's your thoughts 12 months after" follow-up, they are my main interests.

I dig DEEP. Especially anything Amazon related.

Here’s a picture of my FX-888D spare heating element. Has 4 wires. 2 for the heating element, and 2 for the tip sensor.
As far as main unit being too light, It weighs just about 3 lbs. It feels pretty hefty to me, and it doesn’t move around. As far as being overpriced, well that’s a matter of opinion. I happen to disagree. P.S. maybe the fakes don’t have tip sensors?

It’s not too lightweight, mine hasn’t moved from the spot since I bought it. It does have tip sensors. For what you get it’s actually underpriced.

Like atbglenn wrote, you probably read reviews from fake units.

I was hoping my response would bring the users in to speak up about the FX888's. Some of the things people put down for feedback is naive.

I haven't singled the FX888's out. Still looking into them.

One comment I was reading pertaining to the sensor temp, the temp was calibrated to the default (heavier) tip.

Once a finer tip was installed, the unit did not regulate itself accordingly and the temp reading was false. So temp had to be jacked up.

Thanks for the replies

Added

I'm hesitant to buy direct from China or anywhere abroad

I tried an aftermarket tip and found it to fit looser around the heating element than the OEM tips. That more than likely will cause a heat differential. And since the heating element isn’t making good contact with the tip, it will probably shorten the life of the element. I will only buy Hakko made tips from now on. It’s worth the extra money as far as I’m concerned.

I thought the FX888 analog was discontinued.

Oops, you deleted your post. lol

The Xtronic 8050 does indeed have tip temperature sensing. It checks the tip temperature every 20ms and determines if the tip is holding where it should be. Verified 4 wire heating element also.

It is discontinued. That's why I deleted my post!! LOL

Yeah, as you're seeing, Matt, I'm having an OCD researching adventure going on here since I saw your review. LOL

The X-Tronic is still on my list.

Seems like your OCD is as bad as mine. :slight_smile: Anyway, whatever soldering station you pick, I’m sure you’ll be happy. I would just stay away from off brands. If you can, buy one from a dealer in the same country you live in just in case there’s a problem.

LOL, you got that characteristic nature too? Sometimes I literally get possessive!

The HAKKO is luring me. But the Warranty of 90 days, that I do not like at all.

I am looking at this package.

By the way, how many friends do you have that have the OCD characteristic? I have none, thankfully. we'd probably be bad karma for each other!! ROFL

R/C, looks like a killer deal with all those extra tips. I paid $96 for the FX-888D, and bought these extra tips from Home Depot.
Needless to say, you will do much better than I did. Edit: I have one other friend with OCD. He drives me nuts! That said, we’ve been friends since second grade in 1959.

Yes, the tips are pricey for sure. I like that they come with the package.

I'm on the fence making the purchase :)

I bought a second hand Hakko FX888 analog one and it’s pretty heavy with the big transfo inside. You should recalibrate every time you put on a different tip. It might be wise to invest in temp sensor reading thingy. I ordered one for about 15bucks but you can find cheaper ones. search ebay for Hakko FG-100. If you’re changing tips frequently it might be easier to just measure the tip temp and adjust the dial instead of calbriting each time.

I bought my fake Hakko FG-100 for around the same price. I compared it with my Fluke 289 with it’s included heat probe. Happy to say it was accurate within a few degrees. That said, I would have purchased the real thing if it wasn’t so damn expensive at around $230.

wow that’s more than a soldering station. That’s just crazy. So I’m guessing mine will be a fake also…

omg on sale and free shipping!
4/4 would buy if not poor!

Trust me, it’s fake. The only downside as far as I’m concerned, being an American, the fake version doesn’t do Fahrenheit, only Celcius. I’ve learned to live with it…lol

I got to say, if you're serious about what you do, given the task, and how many times you need something, it pays (least for my piece of mind) to buy quality every time.

My OCD did not come within naturally. It came from how I like (and expect anyone working for me to have the same mentality) things to be done.

I learned a lot from my elders as I aged, and practice (preach if they listen) daily in my every day affairs.

My kids, WHOOSH.......over their heads. To them it's a disposable (deplorable) world we live in.