What will happen to your light collection, your batteries, chargers, tools, cases and spare parts when you leave this world?

Bort's number of posts...

soon to be...

OVER 9000!

Also, Google Translate will not translate Klingon for me!

I had to use a Klingon to English translation website.

[quote=Haukkeli] Mio padre Ăš un accumulatore. Per lo piĂč vecchie auto. Io e i miei fratelli minori stiamo giĂ  pensando a cosa fare con tutte quelle cianfrusaglie quando lui muore. (Speriamo ancora degades) I miei figli avranno piĂč tempo a sbarazzarsi delle mie forse 30 torce. [/quote]

It is very interesting what your father does because I am also a lover of old cars, if in fair condition I could buy some and then with a friend of mine, mechanic and coachbuilder I would do a conservative restoration not for profit but because an old car is like a old person, he must be loved, cared for and kept close because he has so much life lived to tell and must not be abandoned or discharged in some institution for the elderly, I think so! Remember me at the time ...

Vegeta, what does the scouter say about Bort’s power level?

Its over 9000! :smiley:

I know how you feel —- I have Guns and Ammo (lots of both), Vacuum Tube audio gear with lots of tubes, the 400+ flashlights are the least of my concerns
I’ve tried to school my wife and daughter on what’s valuable

Gonna be one hell of a Yard Sale

An old friend of mine died 4yrs ago — He had lots of older car parts — Six Pack Dodge intakes, the old Dual quad setups from Oldsmobile — His daughters threw that stuff in a big dumpster ( I could see the tears in his eyes) All they could see was tear down his old shop and sell the property

1 Thank

I have a few lights, ones that I have made, which are earmarked for our son. He is not a flashlight ‘nut’ but does appreciate them. This is listed in my will which covers a few “what if
” scenarios.

These lights and some of the other things are recorded in a text and photo inventory so there should be little doubt which items I am meaning.

We have already done a considerable amount of (Swedish) DöstÀdning. Death cleaning. We spent much of 2020 on that.

Our wills cover the balance of items we care about; who gets what and how/where to dispose of items nobody wants.

Our DöstÀdning process included selling off two of my old Volvos, a PV544 and a 122S, both were more special to me than any other family member and found homes with other, younger Volvo nuts. I still have the 123GT and have a list of a few known prospects to contact after I kick the last tire.

In their defense, what did you expect his daughters to do? Become mechanics? Most people simply don’t care about old cars or car parts. They have their own interests, and that’s normal and healthy.

When my dad died, he had so much junk piled up in the rooms of his basement that you couldn’t walk down there. Mostly old electronics and parts from the the 1960s and 1970s. Absolutely useless in 2017. It all went right in the garbage. I just wish he had the sense to recognize this and throw away some of it while he was alive instead of hoarding it like a crazy person until the rooms were filled 6 feet high with it.

We have had to deal with the estates of parents and relatives. Too many people keep too much stuff, well past the “expiry date”. That was one big reason we did our own DöstĂ€dning house cleaning and disposal. I cringe a bit when I think of what another relative will leave behind for someone else to deal with. A death can be difficult to deal with without the need of dealing with a lot od old un-needed stuff. But that may be a subjective decision.

We had stuff we had not used in a decade or longer and there was no likelihood we ever would again. So some were landfilled, some given away to Habitat or Goodwill. Some tools to a nephew who would likely use them.

Charity shops and the bin. This is happening next week according to my wife

I told my kids to toss anything they had to think more than a few minutes on whether to keep or not. That’s what I did with my mom’s stuff when she died, all of her living room furniture were given to charity.

No sense getting stressed out over money when there are other more important and stressful things to deal with.

Sell or give them away so that perhaps they could be useful rather than just being more waste?

IDK, people behave strangely after a death. If you care about what happens to your stuff and your surviving family it is definitely wise to make arrangements before you die, emotions can lead to regrettable decisions and conflict.

Nothing wrong with throwing stuff away — In todays world it’s not hard to find out what things are worth —- In my case a 5 drawer dresser full of old NOS Tubes from the 40s - 70s is worth about 50- 100 grand —— But really I won’t give a damm one way or the other —- In the case of my friends parts — those two intakes were worth a couple grand ( intakes carbs linkages) He had a shop full of Vintage Muscle car parts

You won’t be taking anything with you.

Nah. My S21D will always be with me. I had it installed spiritually over the summer.

It is kind of amazing to me that those tubes could be worth so much. I can remember when nearly every drug store or hardware store had a cabinet with a tester on top and shelves full of tubes. To go from common place to rare in such a short time

I’m still working at getting rid of the last of the stuff from my grandpa — did a bit better with my parents — unfortunately nothing worth thousands of dollars. My flashlight collection is the least of my worries. My grandson will be happy with my LPs and they may be worth a bit as they are nearly flawless. However, most if my stuff has little value and takes up way too much space. Wife is on me to not stick the kids with it and I just hope to live long enough to be prepared to do so;-)

If I suddenly reach the clearing at the end of the path it’s the SO’s problem to sort out - the ultimate disposition of my flashlights is not something I’ve given significant concern to any more so than my other property. Perhaps they’ll do some research and find appreciative parties to sell them off to, perhaps not.

When my grandfather passed we had to clean out his apartment. I ended up hauling boxes of old documents to the trash and reading through them as I disposed of them - in chronological order as it happened: a lifetime of business dealings that went through the entire cycle of life, ending in disappointment. I made no mention of this to my grieving mother who almost certainly needed no reminder of those events. I was not involved in the clean out of the storage unit*s* which had been pared down over prior years.

Did you ever think you’d see 22LR bullets sell for 20-30 cents a piece — The only people making tubes these days are the Chinese — They don’t come close to the sound of the Vintage stuff — I actually have several pairs of Chinese 845W metal plates that could possibly be hitting $1000 - $1500 a pair ( I paid $300 pair 10+ yrs ago )
If you guys think flashlight collecting is bad — High End Audio is brutal

I already told some family members, when I die I want a 21-light salute at my funeral. I want all of them to line up, and turn the flashlights on all at once, in a military-style salute. What do they do after that with the lights? I will leave it up to them.

My children will “fight” over them just because they were mine. The amount of love they have for me is astounding.

Quote—-“If a man knows how to live, there’s no place for death to enter.”

Just for s’s & g’s; Man used in this context means huMANity. :slight_smile:

In the next realm; there’s probably something more fun to play with anyway—————-