What will happen to your light collection, your batteries, chargers, tools, cases and spare parts when you leave this world?

I still have a couple K&Es left over from college including one 24” K&E that was great in Chemistry.

I’m sitting on a pile of cash and I didn’t even know it! I haven’t been keeping up with ammo prices and didn’t realize what they’re going for these days. I have 4,000+ 22LR and 7,000+ combined 9/38/40/45 factory rounds, plus even more than that in my reloads. I want to get rid of most of it but can’t given California’s ammo laws :frowning:

It would be worth my while driving 4 hours to Nevada and back to sell the stuff if I could find a buyer :money_mouth_face:

At least I can still sell my primers, bullets, and other reloading stuff locally.

If I’m interred in a coffin, I’ll take all the torches with me.

If I’m cremated, I’ll have it done by burning the Liion batteries.

i have actually thought about this. its a shame no one will appreciate our treasures as we do. my daughter will learn about flashlight modding so hopefully she picks up enough interest to keep them. either way, i will be burried with one Acebeam EC65 on my left pocket and my favorite pocket knife on my right.

Very interesting question species8472!

It it’s any time soon, I’ll ask my wife to give them away here (with batteries) at shipping costs assuming she wants to spend the time posting them all. Or maybe she could give them away in groups. Such morbid thoughts!

If it’s decades from now, they probably won’t be worth much anymore and will just be donated (without batteries) unless 1 of my kids wants them by then.

Not to cause a ruckus, but my significant other told me if I die before her, all of my stuff is going out yard sale style. If I come close to it, pm me, and I’ll send you my address. Haha!

Hopefully they will all be antiques by then.

I upgrade lights so i have a reasonably modern collection.
That said one could always put a few lines in their Will about how they want their flashlight or any other collection treated (or indicating they are valuable since not everyone will know this unlike commodities like gold or silver).

Anything 1 yr old plus is subject to Antiquated Status :smiley:

i have so many other collections that would be the least of the worries [since it is small compared to 10 bicycles…]

3000 tools

5000 vinyl lps

4000 cds

200+ musical instruments

at least 150 clocks

200 watches [most are worthless]

150 pieces uranium glass

many miles of rope and string

etc

wle

I shudder to think of this.
Like wle I have many different “treasures”, if I were to check out early somebody would probably get a super deal. :anguished:

idk

i have kids

they are natural engineers though i doubt i can relay everything they would need to know about every single light

i might just say google li ion flashlight and get new ones

i have some that are now 10 years old

i’m 67

kids are 10

no i do not trust them yet with an 18650 light

1 Thank

What a question!

Almost died Jan ‘22. (Delta and the Septic Pulmonary Embolisms were in concert)

Daughter has refused to speak to me for 3 years.

Need to start offing stuff I guess.

2 Thanks

I told my family sell everything on eBay, “buy it now” really cheap. They can get cash quickly that way and others fight over the actual value. It’s not like they’d be inheriting a pistol once owned by Thomas Jefferson or a Mona Lisa. Just get some cash in hand and spend it on fun stuff like I did when I bought all that stuff they’re now stuck with.

I plan to be cryonically preserved, so my very favourites will go into storage for if I come back. I like the possibility in 2093 I’ll be walking around with a D4K in my pocket, upgraded to use a solid state battery or microfusion core or whatever else is in use by then and 100CRI LEDs that can output 20k lm for 3 years battery life :rofl:

Not particularly interested in having children, so the rest would go to whoever (friend or partner) I feel is both into lights enough and a close enough friend that they won’t feel overwhelmed by receiving a huge light collection.

I’ll be dead. What do I care. If I’m on deaths bed the last thing on my mind is a bunch of flashlights. I am thinking heroin and hookers are in order.

2 Thanks

I’m sitting in a hospital room right now having had my lower right lung lobe removed because of a stage 1 lung cancer mass. This was only discovered because I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in March. Luckily for me a PET scan for the prostate cancer found that lung cancer which is more of an immediate concern.

Long story short, I haven’t thought at all about where my collection of flashlights, guns, property, liquid funds, etc will go when I die.

Because it’s not going to matter at all to me.

Simple enough to write it down. Even if it’s just “this stuff has probably at least $xxxx value to the right people, you might want to look at these places if you want to sell it for a decent price” since sometimes if nobody else has a clue, they might just assume that there’s no real value in a collection (of anything not commonly collected, not just lights) and chuck/donate it or if lucky, just stick the whole lot on ebay or a garage sale without much of a description and not get the full value. If nothing else, if you say there’s a value then someone who’s in line to inherit it might want it even if just to see if they can get that value out of it.

If most of my collection ended up sold off, I’d at least want it to go to community members who would appreciate them, similarly I’d feel honoured to own a light formerly owned by respected people here.

1 Thank

Sorry to hear of your troubles SIGShooter. Wishing you the best.

When my mom died, I got $5 out of her sock drawer and both the music box and the walker/wheelchair I’d bought her. The walker was given away to a needy elderly person, the $5 is up on the music box in my sock drawer.

I have collected so much overpriced trash, OTOH, that they will be hard pressed to do anything with it all. Occasionally I’ll touch base with them about it. I’ll walk them over to something and say: “see that metal bucket over there?” I walk over and there and open it to show that it’s full of stainless crap, “this here shit is real expensive, don’t give it away when I check out”. Or I’ll go shooting with the boy. “That gun you have in your hand, what do you think the value is?” He responds with a low price. BUZZZZ - “at an open auction it would go for 3-5 times what you paid for your car”.

You see these 2 ratty looking hatchets? My grandfather hot forged these with his own 2 hands, when I check out, you get one, and your sibling gets the other. See those 2 mahogny levels over there? Those were your other grandfathers, you get one and sibling gets the other…it’s not trash." Etc, you get the idea. That way, they may be able to salvage some great memories and also some money.

Then when they start going through my crap collection, and they trip over my Titanium D2, they won’t toss it in the trash. Or they might. Shrugs…

Man you’ve been dealt a rough hand — I hope things start going good for you, Real Soon---- You kind of have my attitude towards my stuff — Other than the serious assets for all I care have a big yard sale – maybe some one like you or me can end up with some good deals and appreciate our stuff

As far as my light collection, that’s the least of my concern ( And I have a bunch)