Which flashlight do you like best in China? As a Chinese person, I really want to know

Anduril 2 is the most recent version. Anduril 3 does not exist.

The code and its history are public. I don’t have a friendly change log yet, but the revision history is available:

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~toykeeper/flashlight-firmware/multi-channel/changes

I plan to move development to github soon and add an easier change log… but for now, things are still on Launchpad.

If there is a bug, I will need more information:

• Brand name, product name, and hardware flavor
  • What is the software version? (what does the Version Check function blink out?)
  • What are the user’s config settings?
  • Detailed description of the problem:
    • What did the user do, step by step?
    • What result did they expect?
    • What happened instead?

No, I cannot. That is a hardware feature, and I can only change the software.

• A built in screen requires a complete hardware re-design including a much bigger and more expensive MCU chip. This, in turn, requires rewriting all of the software from scratch. It makes hardware difficult too, because it needs a place to put a screen and it needs new types of waterproofing.
  • Bluetooth is easier but still requires new hardware, and a new MCU chip with radio features. This requires rewriting the software, and it also requires writing a few new applications for Android, iOS, Windows, OSX, and Linux.

Anduril uses Atmel AVR chips right now, which are about $1 each and 3x3mm in size. If a screen or bluetooth are added, it would probably need to use something like STM32L4, which is about $10 each and … I forget, about 7x7mm in size maybe? It is much more difficult to fit into a small device.

Screens and phones add a lot of complexity and new ways to fail, for both hardware and software.

However, there are efforts in progress to make an easy web site for people to customize the firmware in a web browser. Then it builds a custom firmware just for you, with your personal settings baked in, and you can install the firmware with a simple USB adapter. This works with most existing Anduril flashlights, and the web site already has a working prototype.

2 Thanks

Olight is a first tier brand in China, while Mateminco is a second tier brand in China. They are both well-known, but I find it difficult to give a subjective opinion because I have not purchased their products, which is beyond my knowledge. There are many people who choose Olight, and their store also has a lot of products. In contrast, Mateminco’s stores are relatively deserted.

Theoretically it could be done over i2c without much additional code size (definitely shouldn’t be a problem if moving to the t3216 for RGB models), but the main problem would just be sourcing an appropriate display and getting manufacturers to adopt it (and explaining exactly what the requirements are in terms of which displays they can use). A simple 1 line display would certainly be useful - my immediate thought would be for ramp mode, to show ramp level and battery, e.g. with a 12 char display you could have 069/150 3.8V (maybe voltage alternating with temperature?), then for things like config menus, it would display what item was being configured (e.g. for 9H from off, RAMP STEPS, JUMPSTRT LVL on the appropriate menu items), and when switching channels, displaying the channel name for a few seconds (CH1, CH2, BOTH, BLEND, AUTO, etc). Could make battery check configurable between “blink LEDs only”, “display only”, and “both” too, for example. Would be nice to work on one day. Would also be possible to have a language setting or language firmware versions maybe, so non-english-speakers get it becoming somewhat selfdocumenting.

Bluetooth is definitely harder though, and would probably need a dedicated bluetooth chipset (although communication between the two could probably be accomplished by i2c again), but one the main problems with bluetooth is signal - a conductive metal body that is also the battery negative means it would need some form of external antenna to work.

Heh, surprising. Olight is somewhat of a “gateway brand” here - most enthusiasts don’t like them much (primarily due to proprietary batteries and charging, but also their choice of LEDs), but since they are heavily marketed, if a non-enthusiast has heard of an enthusiast-adjacent brand it’s generally one of the heavily marketed ones, most often olight.

A lot of Astrolux lights are made by Mateminco, but some have been made by others as well ( I know Sofirn is one).

What about Wuben and Lumintop? Do they sell their lights in china? They’re also both OEMs for various other brands who contract out their manufacturing.

I understand, just interested if, as it did seem like you implied, non-male enthusiasts are rarer over there. Although I don’t really know much about chinese internet demographics in general specifically, I guess.

Sorry, the translation caused me an error. The translation software showed me ‘and it is how things work by default in Anduril 3, which cause out 2 years ago.’

Thank you very much for your answer.I can collect information about these issues, but it will take some time. Is it necessary for me to post a post soliciting fault issues on domestic forums?

2 Thanks

It’s more than ok, it’s encouraged. In general, open source developers want community engagement and feedback. Different people use software in different ways, no one person can find every bug or usability issues, especially since with the nature of anduril, some bugs only appear on specific hardware.

1 Thank

Neat, I always forget about i2c. It sounds like a screen is much more feasible than I assumed. If a display can accept simple ascii data and display text, it would be much easier to implement.

2 Thanks

Very consistent, we also dislike Olight’s viral marketing, which is highly controversial. Regarding Wuben, many of their lights are very distinctive, such as X1, X3, A1, and look exquisite. My friends and I really like this brand. Lumintop, on the other hand, is the opposite. My friends and I both avoided this brand because their lights were too ugly (is that a reason?)

1 Thank

Wuben and Lumintop certainly sell lights in China, and A1 and GT94X are often compared

In China, flashlight enthusiasts refer to each other as “筒友”, meaning “tube friends”. In Chinese, flashlights are composed of three characters, namely “hand”, “electricity”, and “tube”. So far, I have never seen a female tube friend.

2 Thanks

Tube friend, hehe. I like that.

This is the Taobao shop of Emisar/Noctigon:
https://shop127547709.world.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.1000126.3.3ca1fe113bJUwK

I often buy flashlights from Taobao and forward them with a Taobao agent. This way, I get some flashlights cheaper and others that are not available internationally, like the brand DDH.

4 Thanks

I wish Hank could put a 5x7 dot matrix Oled display behind the button. It would take the place of the leds currently being used. An addressable display would be ideal.

他们家在淘宝上叫流星强光手电

Is this store available on Taobao? This surprised me

才发现有,感觉丢人了

We review a lot of Olight and Fenix at 1Lumen and some Acebeam, Nitecore, Fireflies, Mateminco, Astrolux made by Mateminco) Sofirn, Wurkkos (made by Sofirn), some Emisar/Noctigon, Convoy. The most trouble-free brands are Olight, Acebeam, Fenix, Convoy, Nitecore, Emisar. I’ve reviewed over 100 flashlights now and can tell you about reliable brands and quality. The biggest brands are the best for customer service and warranty, the DIY brands as you call them, are good or bad. Check out 1lumen.com for more. My favorites…Acebeam, Olight, Convoy. I like Thrunite too, and Emisar/Noctigon. Mateminco is is okay, and I have a liking for Amutorch. I do like Fireflies, but they’ve had some quality control issues and supply issues that’s soured it a bit for me.

1 Thank