Which Sipik SK68 / which model of light

I am a new forum member here.

I have an Eagletac P100A2 as my only LED light and I love it. Trying to pick up 1 or 2 new ones and dump an old MagLight 2D (non LED) that is in my closet….too big and I hate buying D batteries for no reason.

I want something that can use AA NIMH batteries. Trying to decide between a 1AA or 2AA design. I am used to the Eagletac’s size and don’t think it is “too big” but I also want something that is pretty cheap. I like the Eagletac but I don’t want to be spending $40 for flashlights….hence my finding the BLF site! I am trying to find a good quality light at the cheapest price.

I don’t really like strobe mode but wouldn’t mind something with a low/high. My Eagletac has a twist “Turbo” mode but 99% of the time I have it on regular, and it is plenty bright enough.

I think I like the SK68, but also saw the review for Small Sun Zy-A25 which looks interesting.

Question 1: Is the primary benefit to the 2AA just better runtime?

Question 2: If I go for the SK68 or clone, WHICH Ebay seller should I get it from? I have been reading these forums and there are various references to TomTop on Ebay, then DX, M-something, DinoDeals, etc. It’s all Chinese-something I know. Looking on Ebay I can spot many of these Sipik clones and they’re all around $5.85-ish. Is it basically just OK to order from anyone with the right picture or should I stick with a certain seller?
*_
Question 3:_* My Eagletac is several years old so technology has probably improved since then. Will I be disappointed in this level of flashlight? A few years back I also ordered several Romisen RC-XXX (can’t remember the model number) which were 2AA and I gave them as Xmas gifts. My recipients have liked them. I don’t see those models any longer over at ShiningBeam so maybe the world has moved on. Basically, I want a GOOD CHEAP light……VALUE not just cheap. If I can get one or a few nice little LED lights that run AAs and can pay $6 for them, or $10, or whatever, great. But I don’t want to be wasting money by getting cheap Chinese junk that is very iffy in terms of performance or reliability. Seems the Sipik clones are quite popular on here so that’s why I was focusing on them.

Thanks for any help!

Why not buy a thrunite T1 for $10 (including shipping) but it runs on AAA.

You have come to the right place, hogan773!

I just received four SK68 clones, three of which came in a nice dark gray (I ordered silver ones, originally).

Despite the ubiquitous looks, the machining is horrible. The shoulders of the screw-in pills had been turned off-center on three of them, causing the knurled lens slider to cant at an angle. The full focus wasn’t full, but really blurry. No need to mention the LED wasn’t bonded to the pill in any way at all. On one of them, the switch popped out every time it was depressed; the belt clip was wobbly, and on two of the four lights, the silicone o-ring on the slider had snapped. On two, the threads were absolutely horrible.

If I ever buy any again, they will be labelled “Sipik SK68”, and come from Manafont. Those were truly great, compared to the last cheapos I got off eBay.

The SK68 is a great little torch, but I will never again sort through the hassles to make the cheap clones trustworthy again.

My favorite one is the UltraOk ones but they no longer appear to be avaible.

I am also a fan of the design, and have had good luck with all the clones I’ve purchased.

I agree the UltraOks are the best of these I’ve owned. I ordered here and here.

Both the same sellers, but little notes: the one in the first link actually says UltraOK on the light in the photo. It arrived only having one mode like the original sk68, but it is brighter, in my opinion.

The one in the second link has “UltraFire” printed on the light in the photo, but I received a 3-mode that was also an UltraOK. Otherwise the light I got is identical to the one in the ad.

I would buy more from this seller again - and I have no problem recommending them to ya.

Have fun, and welcome!

Funny…in another thread someone is complaining about the poor quality of the ones with a silver ring (rest black)

Maybe I just take a dartboard out and see what I get……

Yeah, I saw that too. The one I got is absolutely great.

And yeah, I like to think if I follow someone’s link to a recommended torch, I will get the same one they did and it will be as awesome as they say it is. So far, I’ve been pretty lucky - even when I get something a bit different than described. With these sk68 clones, the odds of getting a not-so-great one are higher because of the mass quantities that are produced by seemingly a large number of different manufacturers.

However, if I had not gotten two very nice UltrOK branded clones from that ebay seller, I would not have posted the links. :slight_smile:

But do yours have the silver ring?

I think I just need to order a freakin light and quit obsessing about this……with the variation in pictures and descriptions I’ll just hope I get a light that works.

Would like to find a supplier that I could direct-ship gifts to family members but maybe it’s risky

>>>>>>My favorite one is the UltraOk ones but they no longer appear to be available.

Whatever ultraok did to the ones I have, they did it right. Don’t get too hot and brighter than the original “real” sipik. I sound like a broken record (now that’s an antiquated term; wonder if the CD youth of today even know what the term “broken record” refers to.)

Anyway, I have bought from these ultraok vendors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-7W-CREE-Q5-300Lm-LED-Adjustable-Focus-Mini-Flashlight-Torch-AA-14500-/230818456987?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item35bdda259b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-lumens-Adjustable-Focus-CREE-Q5-LED-7-W-Mini-Flashlight-torch-AA-14500-/270924494593?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item3f145bb701

In fact, I’m typing by the light of a tailstanding one right now! Why turn on an AC-guzzling light when I have so many great flashlights around? (Many of them purchased after reading BLF members’ spot-on recommendations and summaries.)

Ok so fuggit……I’ll split the difference and really treat myself

I just ordered one “UltraOK ZS-2” (1-mode I assume with the “smaller lens”) from the VIKICOMPANY seller for 5.80-something

Also then ordered one “UltraFIRE 3 mode” (H, L, strobe) with the “bigger lens” from the DAYXMAS seller for 7.80-something

So now I watch and wait, and I’ll see which one I like better. I am not a flashoholic (yet?) so for me, it won’t hurt to have a couple extra lying around.

Will let you know what I find.

Then I have to try the blank ones, and the CitiPower ones, and then a silver ring one……nahhhh just kidding.

Gotta love the Chinese stuff shipped cheap! Can get a lot of toys for the same price I paid for my $40 EagleTac a few years back.

Now, onto “camping lanterns”………I’ve bought several of these little 7-LED lanterns for a couple bucks each but wondering if there is a better lantern that is similar to my RayoVac Sportsman……but maybe more compact or uses AAs instead of Ds. Gotta do a google on this.

Man I love spending money on junk, err, “necessary safety equipment in case of power outage”

>>>>>>Despite the ubiquitous looks, the machining is horrible. The shoulders of the screw-in pills had been turned off-center on three of

Jeepers! What were the brand names on those? Can you share or even give links so we can all avoid them?

I never go for the cheepest of the cheep on flea bay, but look for more of a mix of units sold without complaint and high feedback, especially high feedback. I rarely buy from any vendor with FB below 99.5% and NEVER below 99. Asking for trouble.

Using those parameters, I have done very well on ebay over the last 13 years. Sure I get a bone now and then, but it’s literally in the 1% range, and the ripoffs who own ebay just informed me that I have over 1500 ebay transactions ……

Yes, one of mine has the silver ring. It is attractive, and like I said, it’s got “UltraOK” printed in the side, rather than “UltraFire”. It is tight, and well manufactured and machined. Obviously I have no way to guarantee you’d get one as nice as the one I received. But for less than $6? Who cares? And… I have not tried gift shipping from China yet. I buy these, and then send or give them myself. Unless I find a great one, in which case I keep it for me until I run into a friend in need.

I have bought this one and it is awesome! I love this light! It has 3 modes a I’ve had no problem with it. It is the UltraOK ZS-2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-In-Out-to-Focus-CREE-Q5-LED-300Lumen-3Mode-7-W-Flashlight-Torch-Light-Clip-/130695122777?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item1e6e094f59

But be careful! Beware any other color if you want 3 modes. I was so happy with the light so I recommended this seller to friend of mine, he ordered the gray version and got single mode light without anodization and it was scratched.

Interesting as the picture shows UltraFire

Yeah, mine was the same (here )

Also got an UltraOK.

These were UltraOK (ordered two weeks ago, received two days ago), and the quality was ok too.

Op the sk68’s are great little lights and very versatile. And at the price they are you can afford to buy and try and not worry. Personally I love the flood to throw they offer, but some don’t. Run times on 1AA are going to be far less than a D cell Maglite and I’m not sure it’s really offer same sort of thing.

Have you considered looking at the new Mini Maglite Pro Plus? 245 lumens and long run time. Good throw for it’s size and 2 brightness settings without any of the disco modes.

2AA vs 1AA gives you primarily more voltage. So most 2AA lights will be brighter than 1AA ones. Also with clever electronics means they will normally have longer run times too.

If you are happy to try something different then I’d highly recommend a Solarforce L2M with a 3 mode XM-L drop in and an 18650 battery. All up it’ll be a more substantial purchase to get the battery and charger as well. But probably worth it in the long run.

As you can read in the few posts above, the vagaries of the internet/eBay - flashlights, et. al. - are legion.

Sorry to confuse you: I don’t believe - at this point in time - there are any necessarily reliable sellers on eBay or ’cross the web (SK68/SK-68), as evidenced by this link HERE if you - or other forum members - remain in a modicum of doubt…

Sorry.

Welcome to the party, driveX!