Why is the MK-R (relatively) ignored in DIY flashlights?

If anyone has the ability to make some real measurements, I’ll send you an MKR so we can get some real readings. Please only volunteer if you’re more willing to actually take some readings (well, more motivated and willing than I am apparently).

From what I understand, MKR has the same layout as the new XHP70. So I expect to see some Noctigons that will work for this in the future. SinkPAD has a MKR now too.
http://www.sinkpad.com/inner-product.php?id=54

How much reflector filing is involved if one is to swap an XML light with MK-R? Anyone actually tried?

I have a TR-3T6 doing nothing right now, with the driver able to do 2S/3S and resistor mod-able current, may be a good candidate for a floody 3x MK-R light.

I suppose I need the 6V version, 12V may be too high to maintain regulation with only 3S battery.

It might depend on how focused you’re wanting it, but I was able to drop it into my Y3 without filing the reflector at all.

I’m going to attempt to convert my 3T6 with 3 MK-R. Right now running 3 XMLs in parallel, the driver is constant-power, so with 3S battery it will be able to push enough to keep 6V MKRs in regulation.

However, both places linked above only sells cool white 6000K for the 6V versions. The 4500K is only available with 12V Vf.

I would really like my conversion to be NW if possible. Is there any other places that supplies NW MK-R at good price?

I’ve been doing some projection simulations with quad die emitters over in the XHP thread and I can categorically say that you don’t actually want to have the emitter perfectly in focus. If it is in perfect focus there will be a fairly obvious dark centered donut shape to the hotspot. Pulling the emitter out of the reflector a bit or pushing it further in past the focal point will give you a nicer beam, still not perfect with a SMO reflector but much better.

Just some thoughts :slight_smile:

Well, multiple die in one reflector is one thing, multiple die in multiple emitters with multiple reflectors would be another. I suppose you can simulate something like this as well? :slight_smile:

Either way the beam looks I’m probably going to have a go at this anyway. I realized I don’t have a good flooder and I don’t intend to spend more on plunger style lights.

Hope someone can point good source for 6V NW MK-R soon.

Yes there are many variables in play. Multiple reflectors will certainly help smooth artifacts in general. And actually the reason I gave this a go in the first place was to figure out if there was an optimum configuration of the leds in a triple SMO reflector (i.e a BTU shocker reflector or similar) that would completely eliminate the artifacts. Having the ability to also rotate and shift the emitter off center in each reflector can have some interesting blending effects on the final hotspot.

I’ll keep playing with this stuff and see what I can come up with. Certainly I’m more interested in quad die emitters now that I’ve seen what’s possible in reducing the artifacts.
Cheers
Linus

I just wanted to add that the light I put the MK-R into has an orange peel reflector and is very small, smaller than p60 lights. I tried it in a larger smooth reflector and was not able to get such good results.

Finding the right reflector and focus is the key here.

I too am curious if multiple emitters would help or make things worse, seems like it should help smooth things out a bit.

I put 2 XP-L v5 2a emitters on one mcpcb and wired them parallel, it was tricky but experimenting with different reflectors and reflector elevations I was able to get a very nice beam, with a LGHE2 high drain battery delivering 6.2 amps that gives you around 2200 emitter lumens.

It’s a way of averaging together errors, won’t help much if all the emitters are perfectly in focus and centered. Since then you would just add together a bunch of hotspots with their centers being dark, the sum of that would then also have a dark center to the hotspot. But play with the focus or even centering to get a more complementary set of hotspots, then average 3 or more of those together at different angles and you should have something pretty nice. Lots of fiddling required though I’m sure! :stuck_out_tongue:

@LinusHofmann is it possible to do multiple emitters in your projection simulations?

Lots of fiddling no doubt but if a person has time on thier hands it might be worth it.

Sure, I could do it with 3 physical setups just like the real thing, or just run the sim 3 times from one reflector and plus the results together, I’m fairly sure after a certain projection distance the separation of the reflectors is insignificant to the shape of the hotspot.
I’ll post up a thread and link it here once I get a chance to test this stuff a bit more.

Thanks for the updates folks! I finally broke down and ordered some 6v MK-R’s just now.

Just finished a P60 drop-in with an MK-R, used an o/p reflector with a XM-L opening and 2 XRE centering rings that I dug up on Aliexpress. I tried it with 1 centering ring/spacer at first and beam had dark cross in the center, no surprise there, stacked another ring on top that raised the reflector another .85mm and got a good beam, not as clean as an MT-G2 but close.

The reflector fit over the MK-R without drilling and the emitter is nicely centered, seems to easy compared to the 1st build with the MK-R.

I think these will tide me over until the XHP50 and XHP70 become more available.

Nice to know about the fittings. A couple of weeks back I’ve ordered 5 pcs of the CW MK-R since there seem to be no source for NW in 6V.

Hi-Beam, you’re using single cell for the P60? What driver did you use?

This kind of ring? 3.48€ |10 TEILE/LOS Oval Isolierung Spacer für led CREE XM L oder XR E 16mm|insulation tester|insulation blockinsulation washer - AliExpress

I’m using 2 18350’s with a Zener modded 105c.

That’s them exactly and the seller that I bought them from also.

Long transit time’s seem to have delayed my quest to have the first [converted to] MK-R light here :frowning: Oh well…

Tracking show’s my shipment of 12v NW MK-R’s are in chicago today, I have the sinkpad’s filed down to ~12mm (however broke one in the process and Dale sent me one more!).

They’ll be wired in parallel in my TN30 (with a MAJOR resistor mod and all spring’s bypassed). Really looking forward to this one, took me a long time to get to it. And I’m most excited it’s a personal light, havent done a light for myself in a few months now. Just wish I would of went with XHP’s now tho but when the project started they weren’t out.

Hey all, i just picked up an mk-r to replace an xm-l.
i cant the mk-r to work, is this because its voltage (12v) is higher then my flashlight puts out?
thanks!