WildTrail WT90 - SBT90.2 1800m+ throw 90mm 3x 21700 With Texas_Ace driver

I totally agree. You need to take the carrier out to charge the cells anyway, so having to throw a switch to charge isn't a big deal.

It is crude but effective if it can be made to work. Not sure if it is possible, depends on how the circuit is setup since it might need the circuit active to control the FET’s for the cells so that the light will work at all (this could also be why the drain is higher then normal and another reason I prefer physical lockouts).

Even inexpensive powerbanks does not suffer from annoying and destructive parasitic drain, I wonder how much more added cost will it incur to Widltrail designing the carrier properly, second time out of the gate.

Most of them are not USB C and do not support 2A quick charging (think it is technically capable of 3A but was limited to 2A). These features require a much more advanced controller. I also do not know how much of the drain is coming from the control of the FET’s for the cells polarity protection.

Can it be better? For sure.

How much better and how much more work / money would be involved is what I do not know. There are fair points to both sides.

As I said, it is right on the edge for me, I really want it lower but it is not bad enough I will automatically remove it.

I spot checked standby drain on USB-C charging lights - a Astrolux/Mateminco EC03, Sofirn IF25A, and a Haikelite HK4S. With the switch LED off:

• EC03: 42 uA
  • IF25A: 40 uA
  • HK4S: 109 uA

These are all Anduril lights. The HK4S is suspiciously high but still not that bad. 20-40 uA seems typical to me with our standard ATTiny85 w/FET and 7135's.

It is possible then that most of the drain is caused by the FET’s for the polarity protection then. In which case I wounder is simply bypassing those would change the drain, something to try when mine shows up.

thank you Tom! Just purchased! One thing I have learned in 36 years, If a tool is recommended highly by someone you know, who knows a trade, just buy it and it'll save 100 headaches. Just placed the order. My first BG purchase from a US warehouse!

zoulas- the set I almost stripped my carrier with , is subsequently a "Husky" set, from Home Depot. Don't buy the Home Depot one, as Tom said the tolerances are crap. SiZe #6 too small, #7 too big. "Oh does the torx work??" Nope, almost stripped it!

a good set is worth the money. And that set is a 1/3 the price of the Wiha set I was scoping out. Hence why I didn't pull the trigger

I ordered the set on Sunday and they have it in local Australian warehouse which is unusual, they don’t hold much of interest to me. True to BG form, still haven’t shipped :smiley:

You guys took me seriously? just kidn

[quote=Tom E]

You guys took me seriously? just kidn

[/quote]

oh dude, don't mess around like that

I cringe thinking about trying to cancel an order on banggood..., "what's the Mr.Artiet59? You want to triple your order? OK,"... dohh!!

Haha. I’ve purchased more tools and meters in the last three years based on recommendations here than the preceding 43 years. Before 2018 I only had the volt meter, screw driver set, a couple of shifters and multi-grip. Since August 2018 - simple soldering kit, clamp meter, lux meter, solar panel for recharging when camping (haven’t been camping in over five years) and mobile phone tool kit Imgur: The magic of the Internet . Snap ring pliers, USB-A and USB-C Volts/Amp meter, pliers set, tweezers set, soldering station with hot air gun, internal resistance meter and now this screw driver set. I even got a battery capacity tester - 200V20A150W adjustable Constant Current Electronic Load Battery Tester that Australia Post managed to lose.

Edit: Shifters not Shiters

Just got my ‘silver’ WT90 this morning. Not too long, just 10 days after placing my order with Wild Trail on Ali Express.

First impression: The box containing the big flashlight looks rather plain, especially when compared with the white neat one of Astrolux MF01S. And the flashlight is surprisingly light, not as heavy as I had imagined. After putting in three 21700 cells, it weighes altogether 950 grammes, just about 100 grammes more than Sofirn SP70 loaded with two 26650 cells.

Will find out how the WT90 performs this evening. Believe it will not disappoint me. Or at least I can blame it on the three 21700 cheap cells from Ali Express. I bought four of them for just about US$17. And they came in two plastic cases. Really doubtful that they are genuine “Panasonic”. (The wrapper on the cells says “Made in Japan”, but the seller is Chinese!?)

Looking good. I ordered on Sunday, hasn’t shipped yet :frowning: Contacted seller who said shipping within 3 days. Fingers crossed. I’ve got 3xT50’s waiting for it.

The seller is wildtrail, they will get it shipped. Not to worry.

Not worried, just impatient :slight_smile:

Pointing Hot spot on trail. :sunglasses:

Why not go with magnetic charging?..……………………
:student:

Just the non-standard nature of the connector/cable, so if you lose or break the cable, party's over. Agree there's advantages, but not familiar if any specific amp limitations or not.

Yeah and it’s easy for me to say of course. I’m not the one having to design, build, and warranty it. :laughing:

For a reasonable extra-cost though I’d opt for both types of charging methods in one flash. I like options to grow into. I’m not asking for much. :slight_smile:

I think magnetic charging is the wave of the future for higher-end flashes. Or hopefully so. :student:

PS. At the end of the day whether it’s USB-C, USB-Micro, Lightning, PCB points are the inherent weaknesses of all these designs. In magnetic charging at least you’re not constantly jiggling things around via connect/disconnect. In effect the more ya charge equates to easier something in the PCB can go wrong. Then there’s greater water ingress issues. Butt like ya said there’s prolly more to this than meets the eye.

Very nice shots again, Cochise334ever. What 21700 cells you were using?