Windows 10 discuss - Now with Screen Shots

I'm curious about the resource usage compared to Win 7. Was hoping to upgrade a laptop that's unbearably slow (due to the underpowered CPU) to Win 10, as I hear it's more optimized than 7. I doubt it performs better than Debian with Xfce, though. Said laptop struggles with practically everything on Win 7 but is pretty snappy on Linux. I'll have to see for myself sometime.

I’ve been around since Dos days, working through nearly every version. I too loved Windows 2000. It was a very robust OS that didn’t require a reset when an App misbehaved. I used to get so frustrated on Windows ME for this reason. I’ve used PCs since the 80’s, with my first PC being an IBM compatible with 8088-2 running DOS2.1 on 360k floppy disks.

The only Windows OSs I’m yet to try out are Windows 8 and 10. I qualify for a free Win 10 upgrade on 3 of the PCs at home but will hold off until I see more of other people experience with the new OS. All of the qualifying PCs run Win 7 which I’m very happy with.

I’m hoping Win10 is no more resource hungry than Win 7, but I’ll find out soon via more reading of peoples experiences and various reviews.

Your experience betrays you? :stuck_out_tongue:

My approach at the moment is to “sit back and watch others”. Rather than take the plunge now and upgrade one of my PCs and go through some pain, I’ll hold off for a little while to see what people find of the new OS. I also am short of time at present so I can’t afford to mess up a PC as someone in the home will be unhappy. There may also be some early bugs which are found that I’d rather avoid. Years ago I jumped to load the pre-Release versions of Win 7 on my PC and it worked out well. As soon as the retail version appeared I purchased a copy and have been happy ever since. Also one of my PCs is a Netbook running Win7 starter. This is the one device that cannot afford an OS that is a memory hog nor more CPU overhead.

Notice how Microsoft sort of “skipped” past Windows 9? because 9 would have been a “good” OS. Microsoft has always been a Hit/Miss with Winblows consumer OS systems. As mentioned earlier:

Windows 3.1 - good
Windows 95a - BAD
Windows 95b - good
Windows 98 - BAD
Windows 98SE-Good
Windows ME -BAD! (last of the WIN 9x platform)
Windows XP - good
Windows Vista-BAD
Windows 7 -good
Windows 8 -BAD
Windows 9 ???
Windows 10 - BAD

Win NT4, 2000(NT5) , etc, were more oriented for Server & workstation use.

OK folks. If you are familiar with Virtual Box (in Windows or in Linux) then you can download Win 10 ISO’s here and install them in a Virtual Box and try out that way. When installing just hit the Skip button when it asks for the license code number. It installs fine. I’ve been playing with it all day. It does seem a bit unstable here and there. However as its in a Vbox if things go wrong just reinstall.

Don’t know how long the ISO’s will be up for. So if you are interested in them grab them quick. BTW don’t use a download accelerator for some reason that’s slower than a straight download in Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

I tried Zorin, Ubuntu, Mint, and a bunch of other small distros.

On my main PC I went back to OpenSuse, with the new Plasma 5.3 desktop it’s fantastic.
It runs Windows 7 in a VirtualBox if needed.

I put relatives on Linux Mint, they don’t know the difference from windows, and it’s easier to support.

Jokes on you guys. I am still using windows xp (genuine) lol :0

Another vote for Linux Mint MATE version. No need for the Cinnamon version, the MATE version is just as good and requires less graphics power, so its better for PC’s with older on-board graphics. I’ve moved lots of Windows users over to it and that all take to it like ducks to water. We ourselves have four Lenovo Thinkpads here, all about seven years old (2x R61’s and 2x T61’s) all with just with 2GB ram in and they all run Mint MATE beautifully. We also have a Lenovo Thinkpad R500 with 4GB ram and an SSD in. That’s 6 years old also running Mint MATE and its a quick as any Windows PC you can buy today when it comes to 99.9% of tasks.

Oh, BTW, did I say we like Thinkpads…………LOL

Nice!! Good stuff. They’re really built like tanks. They have an internal chassis built to military specs for shock and humidity resistance.

I just got a refurbed T440s, and it really feels premium in an understated, clean, Thinkpad way. And I really like the 3-cell integrated + 3-cell hot-swappable batteries coupled with the ULV processor. It’s actually in the ultrabook category, but I got a fantastic deal on it from the Lenovo Outlet online. I have to say it gives Macbooks a run for their money. I’m not crazy about the F-keys being relegated to second place, but there’s a BIOS option to swap that back. But apart from that it’s probably the nicest laptop I’ve ever used, and needless to say since it’s a Thinkpad T-series it runs Linux 100% perfectly.

Great to hear that.

Want to know the performance and compatibility of the new Windows Browser.

Chrome is becoming Slower and Slower now. (HATE) :evil:

I hope you do not have to reinstall XP at any time, ghost it now, I needed a windows OS to do something so installed XP (genuine retail) on an older laptop,
problem one:- it will not install unless it validates over the net,
problem two:- the validation site no longer exists.
No validation, no install, it looks like instead of buying the right to use the software I only hired it until MS wanted more money, they have no hope, have been a Lubuntu user for years with other Linux flavors before that.
My wife is staying with Win 7 or switching to linux, my son is staying with Win8 due to gaming :bigsmile:
Win10 has no hope in this house 8)

Cheers David

Horrible.
Place giant red text on the desktop stating that XP is no longer being provided security patches, Infection is nearly guaranteed, hell place a watermark in the corner reminding you 24/7 that it’s not safe. But do not destroy a product that someone owns. Should be illegal to kill a validation site without providing a patch it disable the need for validation. A computer can be used for some things without an internet connection. There are some massively expressive machines that require proprietary software running on XP. No alternatives other than replacing a million dollar piece of equipment or simply running an air gap XP box.

Hmmm, how about cracking it? If the validation site does not exist anymore then im sure they wont chase you anymore with bootleg xp. Just crack your original license keys to make you feel better

Ughhhh the joys of licensing… :weary:

Screen Shots in the OP now. Don't know if it helps or makes it worse, LOL.

I dunno, I’m probably slightly paranoid, but I always wonder if that OFF toggle actually does anything. Since it’s closed-source code, it’s anybody’s best guess what they’re really doing behind the scenes with your data.

Thanks for the screenshots. Were these options off by default, or did you turn them off OL?

They were all ON by default.

Wouldn’t be the first time that someone “forgot” to connect an off switch. :smiley: :expressionless:

Several routers had non-functioning WPS switches. Just slightly problematic when a WPS exploit appeared.