Windows 10 discuss - Now with Screen Shots

I agree, not only that (i suspect its collected anyways, just not transmitted when turned off) but windows likes to turn things back to the previous settings without telling you, until i disabled and delleted the indexing several times it kept turning itself back on (i disabled the service so now being on still doesn’t run) and settings in certain programs still revert to factory (such as the task manager).

I update last night,haha
I like the new Windows 10

Ouch! Not too good.

Thanks for the tips! :slight_smile:

:wink:

Mine is still showing this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Make sure to upgrade, not clean install. That is the install with keeping your files. After you install 10 there are ways to extract your w10 key and do a clean install, or you can just “reset the pc” and that gets you a clean install.

Hello, you can get rid of the search bar if you right click on the task bar and under the entry ‘Cortana’ select ‘Hidden’.

count your blessings :wink:

not on mine, but I did find it. Right click on the taskbar and “Search”, then hidden. Maybe it’s different for different versions or something. Mine is Win 10 Home.

XP was ok for a long time, but 7 is the best version of Windows IMO and very stable. I can leave my work PC on for months without it crashing. Something XP could never do.

But I agree, a desktop UI and a tablet UI are completely different with completely different input devices. Trying to mix one UI to do both just means a massive compromise and the worst of both worlds.

Mac have got it right. Their IOS shares background tech with OSX but nothing in the UI and vice versa.

To put this in perspective, I run the latest IOS/OSX on my Mac machines. But on my 4 Windows machines I run Win 7.

Not sure if it was discussed as I only skimmed the thread, but seems we will all be using it in the end, or learning to use Linux or whatever alt you like.

Win 10 will be the last numbered Windows. From then on it will all be online, you will pay an annual subscription and part of the OS will be from a cloud when you log on. Supposedly MS think it will solve the piracy issue for them or some such thing.

Win 7 for the win IMO.

98 good
2000 sucky
XP good
Vista sucky
7 good,
8 sucky
10 should be good, but probably wont be. But I will not know myself, I wont be going there.

• me looks for linux books.

Thanks!!

It downloaded and installed really quick, runs much quicker than my windows 8.1 and apps seem to be compatible. Only some apps look blurry but it can be fixed by disabling DPI scaling.

I do like the new Edge, but won’t be using it because of the lack of an ad blocker like chrome has.

For those who are afraid that their files will be lost: even if you do a clean install and chose to not keep your files, there will be a folder called windows.old in your primary hard drive basically containing all the files and apps previous to the new windows.

That’s the beauty of progress, a newer OS runs so much better on older hardware, they become usable again. I do hope some form of ad blocking is released for Edge though.

Windows Install has had that feature for a while (at least back to Windows XP), but in the past there have been some choices offered while installing Windows. Normally, you would just click through those choices. But that behavior (keeping old Windows partition) was guided by the choices you made WRT drive partitioning. If drive partitioning options are given during install of Win10, there is still a chance one could choose the “wrong” option and not get to keep that old Windows partition.

Edit: Just looked at the picture and realized that it is a folder, not a partition, so the caveat I mentioned should no longer be an issue. :wink:

Windows 2000 was pretty good

No, Win9 should have been the next good one, but they skipped it! :evil:

As for Windows 10 being the last version, they said the same thing about XP. It was supposed to be the foundation for everything from that point on to be built on. No more installing an OS, just “update” to get the new features. But, you can’t always ever predict what the new disruptive technology will be next week, month, year, etc. Windows XP just couldn’t keep up with new hardware and software capabilities after a while. Having said all that, I guess if they made the OS modular, like Linux, they could do just as you’ve said and it could work. Come to think of it, didn’t Microsoft buy some Linux stock a few years back? Or was it Unix (same modular design)? :party:

Yeah, but we’re talking about Home User OS. Not until Windows XP did Microsoft merge the “Home” UI with the “Professional” NT kernel. Win 2000 wasn’t compatible with most of the Win 9X software. Even after Win XP came out, there was software that would run on Win XP, but not on Win 2000, probably because Win XP had a compatibility layer that Win 2000 lacked.

Has anybody tried it on a tablet? After two days of use my impressions are kinda mixed.

I have a cheap $80 china tablet (Voyo A1) and the download is nearly finished.
I barely use that tablet - so it will be my test-station for Win10.
Can’t be worse than 8.1.
It just can’t.