X-ML de-doming method with 100% success?

Had to a have another play around with the C8s…. and here is what i got:

The partial de-domed I mentioned in the post a few above is on the left and a complete de-dome on the right, both were the same tint before any mods.

To do this I used the method of running the LED until it got very hot (took pill out of C8 body and attached it to a battery, took all of 1 min to get hot enough) and then I just peeled it off… piece of cake and left a perfect finish.

Keep testing guys.

Out of these experiments will come a formula to convert many leds into great performers.

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/attachments/fritz-moddings/11929d1349208384-throwerkopf-47s-x10-arme-00028986.jpg

Bs @ 250 meter ,12 sec,220 KLUX

DX SST 90 Reflector ,XM-L U3 cooper dedomed @ 4,9 A >)

Xandre

If I de-dome my greenish purple T6, will it give me a better tint?
It sits in a p60 host.

Yes,it will go to more yellow.

Xandre

Can you measure Lux?
It will be very interesting, which dedomed gives more Lux.

No sorry… however I can tell you now the completely de-domed LED gives the brighter hotspot. While the partially de-domed one came very close to the same throw as an Trustfire X9 at 2.0A (it fell ~5% short) the completely de-domed one manages to equal the X9 at 2.8A… from this my guesstimate of lux is around 40-45K lux… I think the LED in the C8 was getting around 3.5A for both of these comparisons.

Hi Andi. I de-domed my X7 partially with a knife first and max was 127 kCd. With totally dedomed led it was ~ 160 kCd

With bigger hole in bottom of reflector and modification to put led inside reflector it is now 182 kCd! Yippee!

I also have measures of de-cuttet & dedomed, but it was interesting, if other people measure the same like me.

@Ledsmoke: i also have 182KLux, but that´s the lowest measurement. :wink:

s. Now i try Aceton, but best method for me was/is cookplate. Yesterday i cooked another XM-L….works great.

The lowest! Wonderful :-)

Andi dedomed my EBL 6.1 Olympic-Torch

340 KLUX >)

Xandre

What do you think would be the effect of dedoming a UF980L?

I dedomed it (dropped the whole pill in Acetone over the night) and the spot is certainly smaller now. Brighter.. I dont know. Have to wait to get my camera back so I can take some beamshots.

I just dedomed my X6 out of curiosity, feeling satisfied with the knowledge that I can just easily put in another SST-90 if I don’t like the outcome.

This is an SST-90 btw:
It now has a pretty yellow tint, quite ugly but I’ll see tonight how the colour rendering goes.
It now has 870 lumens (calculated form ceiling bounce against my 7g5-v2).
It now has 67k cd. At 2 meters, the X6 has a bigger hotspot than the 7G5-V2, but further than that it becomes smaller.
It was probably the easiest dedome job I have ever done. This really is close to 100% success rate as the whole dome just comes off.

I now have been motivated to mod the driver again. Huzzah.

Did you measure lumens/cd before mod?

It was 45k cd, 1300 otf lumens before mod.

“just comes off”? Which method did you use?

I think luminous lenses don’t have that gel layer in between so they come off clean.

Thanks. Looks like the amount of lumens traded off for throw is about in line with what can be expected.

@ slewflash: You should really try to measure that at 10 meters. My X7 gets me something like 116 kCd when measured at 2 meters but does ~180 kCd when measured above 8 meters. Just FYI