XP-L Hi silent upgrade test

XP-L Hi had upgrade that wasn’t marketed much. Forward voltage is much lower, thermal resistance as well and it’s now without bond wires. XML2 and I think Xp-g2 had same treatment.

I did some basic measurements for V3 5A2 bought form Kaidomain, just to compare it to previous version.

2.5A 3.08V
3.0A 3.13V
3.5A 3.17V
4.0A 3.20V
4.5A 3.25V
5.0A 3.28V
5.5A 3.36V
6.0A 3.42V

Cri was 82.4, CCT 4250K and DUV –0. 0010 in S2+ running at 0.5A. Values taken from Opple. Green AR coating.

S2+ beamshot @5m and 5A

1 Thank

:+1:

There doesn’t seem to be any of the ”bluish tint in the beam” that Hank talked about, the beam looks good.

For comparison with TA XP-HI test :

Anew_old
2.5A 3.08V 3.42V
3.0A 3.13V 3.52V
3.5A 3.17V 3.60V
4.0A 3.20V 3.68V
4.5A 3.25V 3.75V
5.0A 3.28V 3.83V
5.5A 3.36V 3.94V
6.0A 3.42V 4.02V

So a pretty big difference, this should increase efficiency quite substantially with a boost or buck driver. In it direct it will pull much more current, about the same as the 519A since they have similar Vf under 5.5A (after that the new XP-HI rises more)

With the lower voltage and improved thermal resistance it should be fun direct driving it in a single li-ion triple or quad, output will fully depend on what the battery can deliver.

Cree once more in the lead, when it comes to raw output?

That beam looks good. :+1: Hopefully the revised XP-L Hi handles DD without issues. The old one could handle ~4.2V straight.

Looks good! XPL HI is my favorite low CRI option. This new one might be even better.

I’ll be watching for DD results.
Has anyone tried the 3C from KD? I would be placing an order if it was a 3A or 3D.

FB

I bought the

from them a couple of months ago.

I put it into a P60 drop in for testing to see what it’s like (as I had the bits lying around.)

I wonder what kind of output increase we’ll see in a light like the E07. Currently, it does about 7k lumens.

Now cree just need to make a 3v version of the XHP70.3 HI

Edit: Just realised that this is an old thread. Do most lights have this updated version?

Maybe 9k in the E07 and 15k in the E12R if we use the Molicel P45B. Would be very nice since the tint is good unlike the other high powered emitters.

I don’t think so. As far as I know the only ones using it are fireflies lights.

Last I heard Hank of emisar/noctigon said the tint was bad and isn’t using them (like thefreeman mentions in this thread) and he’s since removed XPL HI from most of the options menus on his lights. A lot of manufacturers have moved away from XPL HI in their current gen of lights (fenix, thrunite, etc). Maybe they’ll move back to it? I would love to start seeing these in more lights - it’s one of, or I think the only somewhat throwy 3v 3535 LED that’s also bright and available in a bunch of CCTs with good tint.

And yea, in multi-LED lights it’ll have an impressive bump in performance.

I just ordered some from Kaidomain (3C and 5A2), I’m going to do a tint mix in a D4K (boost driver).

Fireflylite was willing to sell me V4 3A bin leds separately. So if wanting 5000/4000 mix, those V4 3A’s with Kaidomains V3 5A’s are good combo.

1 Thank

Are they the “new” XP-L HI?

I suppose it wouldn’t matter mixing old and new XP-L HI (with differing Vf) if using a boost driver in series.

Yes they are

I tried out the V3 5A2 (4000k) and the V3 3C (5000k).

I put the former in a Sofirn SC31 Pro. There was a fair amount of tint shifting with the stock reflector and it was very ringy (which was the case with that reflector and the other couple LEDs I tried in it). I used a 20mm pebbled TIR, maybe 20 degrees, I got from the Convoy store and it really helped the beam. That TIR doesn’t quite fit in the host (too tall) but I’m happy with the LED and TIR combo at least.

I put the 5000k in a Lumentop FW1A. I have a modded smooth reflector in it and there’s only one ugly ring in the beam. The tint shift is present but not bad. I have no way to measure output or throw, but my feeling, for whatever that’s worth, is it’s probably about visually comparable in throw to the SFT 40 I had in there at one point. The CCT/tint is much better than the SFT 40 I tried.

1 Thank