Yes I made "Yet Another Wood Light"

In some ways similar to the previous YAWL, but this one has some curves instead of all angles and straight lines.

The round cap is leopardwood. All the rest is some brown wood I have had for quite a while and cannot remember the name. :open_mouth: Several parts are glued together; the base block, the vertical shaft and the round sleeve head piece. A 1/4" thick plate of the same brown wood covers the bottom. The cap is held in place with three 4-40 machine screws with spacer sleeves.

I neglected to take pictures of some of the pieces before the final assembly. :roll_eyes: The light engine comprises a finned aluminum heatsink like the other YAWL, but shorter. A de-domed Nichia 519A 3500K emitter was used. The driver may be an unusual choice, but I had one on hand. It’s a Convoy AA/14500 type as used in Convoy’s T2 & T3. It is 90% efficient & runs quite cool. It also has a decent UI, runs up to 1.5 amps max, and has memory available. It will well suit the person who will be receiving the light. The driver is mounted in a pill from a Convoy S2. That is soldered to a copper plate which is secured with machine screws to the heatsink. The MCPCB is taped to the other, lower end of the heatsink. The whole light engine slides into the head on ribs in the same manner as the previous YAWL project.

Tucked into the base is a 1.5 amp TP5000 based charger (a 1 amp version with swapped resistor). That is mounted to a copper heatsink. The charge indicator bi-color LED peeks through a hole in the top of the base. An Omten 1288 clicky switch is used.

The central item inside the base is a Samsung 18650 35E cell with solder tabs. The TP5000 charger board is more or less center in the back row. To the right is a USB-C port. At the right end is a small perf board used as a +/- buss board for connections between components. The charge indicator is nestled under the wires and barely visible connectors to the left of the charger board. The two black wires near the nearest edge connect to the Omten switch. I carved a couple of recesses in the bottom plate to clear the wires soldered to the cell tabs.

I “sign” every project someplace. usually semi-hidden, like on the bottom. The wood is not stained, just lacquered.

11 Thanks

The title of the thread sounds a bit like: Oops!.. I Did It Again.
So I almost skipped it. But I’m glad I did not!

Sir, that is a job very well done. :beer:

1 Thank

Yes, that topic title is/was a little strange, like something to ignore. So I adjusted the title.

1 Thank

Dang Don, that is just amazing

Song is a classic

Y’awl a bunch of wood lovers! :open_mouth:

Dang, that is cool!

A BLF member with a very discerning eye made a suggestion and I have already modded this light.

The three top cap screws did bother me. I made an error when I was shaping the head sleeve. I made the walls too thin to safely accept screws equally spaced around the perimeter. So I did the next thing I thought of which was to use machine screws into the holes that were provided in the heatsink. Unfortunately, the accessible heatsink holes were not equally spaced. However, that turned out to be a good thing.

I like the suggestion much better. Thank you Henk4U2. I had a 3mm thin piece of leopardwood and cut a circle out to use as a cover. I spray-lacquered the circle and used double-sided tape to affix it to the cap. The screws are hidden but still may be non-destructively accessed.

The new piece is cut from a different sample of leopardwood which has resulted in a slight difference in the color. That too is a good thing as it seems to me to be a nice contrast between the discs.

3 Thanks

Another awesome wood lamp! Beautiful.

You put the cherry on the cake! :cherries:

I missed this thread, the builds looks great it would make a great bedside light.

Have you made many lights that run on AC?

That is what it is, on Karen’s side table. :blush:

AC powered lights? Not yet. I like to tuck a battery or two in them. But I have almost commited to AC only a few times. Maybe one day…

Very nice light. Wood is Good.